OT: Some Kind of Gun Thread

FourT6and2

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Slunderfungus View Post
"....I have dropped my Mossbergs in the feild when hunting, and had it cycle with crap in the receiver so maybe they're like the AK47 of shotguns"
I have the exact same experience. After missing a shot at a turkey, then sliding on my ass down a ravine full of mud and leaves, and finally ejecting the spent shell along with mud and leaves and readily chambering another shot, I was forever a fan of my Mossberg 500. I also like the safety SO much I readily admit I am prejudiced. I cannot imagine a better place for that safety slider to be.

The one flaw is the rattle from the fore-end. That's mostly clatter from the cylindrical part of the fore-grip banging the magazine. I finally partly muffled mine with a tiny strip of black rubber cemented to the forward few inches of the magazine. It helps, and is too flimsy to cause an actual jam when it eventually comes loose.

I like shotguns with interchangeable barrels and chokes, too.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tilimo View Post
Get a glock 19 - then step up to a nice 1911 in either 45acp or 9mm. A Kimber solo is a nice gun for concealed carry....
Why would I want a 9mm over a 45? I shoot better with 45. And they're cooler and {censored}. Bro.

I'd love a Kimber Ultra II, though. Gatdamn I like 1911s a lot. That will be my second gun.

Quote Originally Posted by vaguelee View Post
The manual of arms for the FNX is really cool. Haven't shot one, though.
You should. They are awesome. Bullets fired from an FNX aren't propelled by exploding gunpowder. They're powered by hopes and dreams. You'll love it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Reverse Entropy View Post
I have the exact same experience. After missing a shot at a turkey, then sliding on my ass down a ravine full of mud and leaves, and finally ejecting the spent shell along with mud and leaves and readily chambering another shot, I was forever a fan of my Mossberg 500. I also like the safety SO much I readily admit I am prejudiced. I cannot imagine a better place for that safety slider to be.

The one flaw is the rattle from the fore-end. That's mostly clatter from the cylindrical part of the fore-grip banging the magazine. I finally partly muffled mine with a tiny strip of black rubber cemented to the forward few inches of the magazine. It helps, and is too flimsy to cause an actual jam when it eventually comes loose.

I like shotguns with interchangeable barrels and chokes, too.
Yeah the safetys are in a great place, but the plastic ones will split in half when shooting a nd without the safety it will not fire, its actually part of the trigger mechanism once the gun is fully assembled. For a couple years after my back surgery I made a killing on ebay selling handmade a aluminum safteies with my wife on ebay. I have this aluminum bar stack that is almost the right demnsions, I would cut the length with a hack saw, put the block in a vice and simply file it down to the shape i needed, even made some shortened drill bits for the mounting screw and the indentions that hold the ball. I sold them for 9.99 plus $1 for shipping, and could easily make 9 to 11 a day, which is pretty good seeing as how I had to stand to make them and I was about a year out of back surgery when I started making them. Then when I started Manufacturing tech in college I started making them with a Bridgeport.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
Why would I want a 9mm over a 45? I shoot better with 45. And they're cooler and {censored}. Bro.

I'd love a Kimber Ultra II, though. Gatdamn I like 1911s a lot. That will be my second gun.

You should. They are awesome. Bullets fired from an FNX aren't propelled by exploding gunpowder. They're powered by hopes and dreams. You'll love it.
smile.gif

DSC02007.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nedezero View Post
smile.gif

DSC02007.jpg
See... now I would totally grab one of those. How much are they? Probably more than $600... One of the things in my situation is I don't wanna spend $1,000 + on my first gun. But then again, save money in the long run by not buying 3 guns and "working my way up" the food chain.

EDIT: Yeah, those are like $1400. A little pricy. But totally my type of gun.

• Members

Yeah, the 1911 frame is my favorite for pistols. Auto Ordinance, Kimber, and, Springfeild Armory are some of the best. I especially love the stainless frame with blued slide. For revolvers,its the Ruger Blackhawk in 41Mag. I've .357Mag, and 44Mag, and the .41 is my favorite. I really dig the Hunter config with the 7.5" barrel and scope mounts on the site rail running along the top of the frame and down the barrel. They haven't made the .41 Mag for quite sometime so When I can afford to do so I'll have to settle for the 44Mag, oh well it'll make a great companion to 444Marlin!

• Members
I'm not sure I used the term "manual of arms" right. I meant the decocker/safety system that lets you do the DA/SA thing or carry it cocked and locked.
I got a Beretta m9 a few months ago. Heavy as hell, but like Boris says...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vaguelee

View Post

I'm not sure I used the term "manual of arms" right. I meant the decocker/safety system that lets you do the DA/SA thing or carry it cocked and locked. I got a Beretta m9 a few months ago. Heavy as hell, but like Boris says...

The 3rd generation S&W autos had that same safety. Hammerblock/decocker. Go from chambered+disconnector+hammerblock to double-action BANG in one quick flip. It's a really nice feature. I'd still like to get a SW4516, but I already have a 5906 and don't really need anything else.

• Members

Ok, so shot the Glock 21, XDm, and just for the hell of it a Kimber Pro TLE again.

Shot much worse with the Glock and XDm than I did the other day. Very wide grouping to the left of center with both. Then tried the 1911 and similar results as the FN and Sig, but much tighter grouping dead center. Something about those types of guns. Maybe it's the weight? I used a few snap caps and determined that I "flinch" a bit when pulling the trigger and drop the muzzle slightly.

But I'm thinking I'll just suck it up and go for a 1911. Or the Sig. The FNX is sweet, but nobody around here has one and they are backordered with months and months of waiting.

Only problem is I found out it may take six months for whatever gun I buy to actually come in. And I'm planning on moving (to another state) in next month or two. So I may have to wait to purchase a gun. And that sucks because if/when I move, I'll most likely have to wait six months from the time I change residency to be legally aloud to purchase a firearm in the state I move to.

Unless I can find the exact gun I want in-store around here.

What do?

• Members
Ok, so shot the Glock 21, XDm, and just for the hell of it a Kimber Pro TLE again.

Shot much worse with the Glock and XDm than I did the other day. Very wide grouping to the left of center with both. Then tried the 1911 and similar results as the FN and Sig, but much tighter grouping dead center. Something about those types of guns. Maybe it's the weight? I used a few snap caps and determined that I "flinch" a bit when pulling the trigger and drop the muzzle slightly.

But I'm thinking I'll just suck it up and go for a 1911. Or the Sig. The FNX is sweet, but nobody around here has one and they are backordered with months and months of waiting.

Only problem is I found out it may take six months for whatever gun I buy to actually come in. And I'm planning on moving (to another state) in next month or two. So I may have to wait to purchase a gun. And that sucks because if/when I move, I'll most likely have to wait six months from the time I change residency to be legally aloud to purchase a firearm in the state I move to.

Unless I can find the exact gun I want in-store around here.

What do?

A good 1911 or a Sig...thumb.gif

Can't go wrong. Buy one in stock.

Don't move anywhere you can't own handguns.

• Members

I watched some vids of how to strip/clean 1911s. And it's not rocket science. But it's definitely more complicated than a Glock or XD in that you have to use a "tool" to do it. I could be wrong, but I was also under the impression that maintaining a 1911 was more involved and that they are more finicky and prone to malfunction if everything isn't "just so." But, I could be mistaken.
FWIW, I have a Springfield 1911A1 Mil-spec and I've never used a tool to take it apart... idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ~Abstract~ View Post
A good 1911 or a Sig...thumb.gif

Can't go wrong. Buy one in stock.

Don't move anywhere you can't own handguns.
Easier said than done. If I'm gonna drop $1,000 on a gun, it better be the exact version of that gun I want.

And as far as where I move, it's mostly down to work. In my industry, you move around a lot. Right now, it's looking like my next place is gonna be California. And while you can own firearms there, the legislation is annoying. But I haven't researched the exact laws yet. What sucks even more is I wanna eventually wind up in NYC. And AFAIK, you can't own (or at least carry) in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by MattACaster View Post
FWIW, I have a Springfield 1911A1 Mil-spec and I've never used a tool to take it apart... idn_smilie.gif
Well the Kimbers, at least, require an allen-wrench to be inserted into the guide rod to hold the spring tension so they can be removed from the slide. Is this not the case with other 1911s?

• Members
See... now I would totally grab one of those. How much are they? Probably more than $600... One of the things in my situation is I don't wanna spend $1,000 + on my first gun. But then again, save money in the long run by not buying 3 guns and "working my way up" the food chain.

EDIT: Yeah, those are like $1400. A little pricy. But totally my type of gun.
I got mine for $1150.00 at the gun show NIB. The trick is to find three or more and start a price war.

I like the 1911s that do not have a barrel bushing (in other words it has a bull barrel).

This one is very tight and shoots better than I do.

• Members
I like the 1911s that do not have a barrel bushing (in other words it has a bull barrel).
I don't know enough about the 1911 to know what this means. I've heard/read about "bushing-less" barrels before. But I don't really know what that implies. Can you explain?

EDIT: just watched this vid.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2

View Post

A shooting buddy pointed out to me that my left-of-bull on a Glock was caused by having the trigger placed incorrectly on the finger. Once I relocated to the first joint, it reduced the problem - the second issue was shifting my grip instead of using all finger during the pull. That corrected my point of aim quite a bit. We shot only Glocks that day, so I correlate my flaw to that platform in this case.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse Entropy

View Post

A shooting buddy pointed out to me that my left-of-bull on a Glock was caused by having the trigger placed incorrectly on the finger. Once I relocated to the first joint, it reduced the problem - the second issue was shifting my grip instead of using all finger during the pull. That corrected my point of aim quite a bit. We shot only Glocks that day, so I correlate my flaw to that platform in this case.

Interesting. I think I focused on doing the opposite: usually shooting with the joint is a no-no. Usually you want to shoot with the pad of your finger instead of the joint. Never tried shooting the Glock with my joint. But next time I'll try it.

• Members
I don't know enough about the 1911 to know what this means. I've heard/read about "bushing-less" barrels before. But I don't really know what that implies. Can you explain?

EDIT: just watched this vid.

The standard 1911 has a bushing that takes up the space between the barrel and the slide. It's an egg shaped looking piece of metal that is removed by depressing the bushing release just below the muzzle.

Although a reliable design for combat use, it creates play since the bushing, barrel, slide, all need room to move freely.

A bull barrel takes up the space all the way to the slide, this eliminating the need for a bushing, and providing for less play between the two. The best way to accurize a firearm is to eliminate as much movement/play in the action as much as possible.

Note: this is just an enhancement and is no substitute for the other parts of the gun being fitted properly. Not to mention the skill of the shooter. I've know military match shooters that can outshoot me with GI issue 1911s, with no modifications.

• Members
The standard 1911 has a bushing that takes up the space between the barrel and the slide. It's an egg shaped looking piece of metal that is removed by depressing the bushing release just below the muzzle.

Although a reliable design for combat use, it creates play since the bushing, barrel, slide, all need room to move freely.

A bull barrel takes up the space all the way to the slide, this eliminating the need for a bushing, and providing for less play between the two. The best way to accurize a firearm is to eliminate as much movement/play in the action as much as possible.

Note: this is just an enhancement and is no substitute for the other parts of the gun being fitted properly. Not to mention the skill of the shooter. I've know military match shooters that can outshoot me with GI issue 1911s, with no modifications.
Yep, makes sense. I understand it now. I've read that a downside to the bull barrel is that after some wear, you need to replace a lot more, at a higher cost, than with the bushing barrel. Because on the bull barrel, the barrel rides on the slide. Whereas on the bushing version, the barrel rides on the bushing. What's cheaper to replace?

Archived