OT: Some Kind of Gun Thread

FourT6and2

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2

View Post

Such a good movie.

I might have to get three guns: Sig P220, 1911, and a Glock or XDm. {censored} it. Make it four guns. I'll get 'em all!!!!!

That really does end up being the solution. icon_lol.gif Let's face it for legit protection reasons no one needs more than one gun. That said, they are fun as {censored} and I like a lot of them for different reasons. So I just get all of them that I want. thumb.gif

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

Ok, so shot the Glock 21, XDm, and just for the hell of it a Kimber Pro TLE again.

Shot much worse with the Glock and XDm than I did the other day. Very wide grouping to the left of center with both. Then tried the 1911 and similar results as the FN and Sig, but much tighter grouping dead center. Something about those types of guns. Maybe it's the weight? I used a few snap caps and determined that I "flinch" a bit when pulling the trigger and drop the muzzle slightly.

But I'm thinking I'll just suck it up and go for a 1911. Or the Sig. The FNX is sweet, but nobody around here has one and they are backordered with months and months of waiting.

Only problem is I found out it may take six months for whatever gun I buy to actually come in. And I'm planning on moving (to another state) in next month or two. So I may have to wait to purchase a gun. And that sucks because if/when I move, I'll most likely have to wait six months from the time I change residency to be legally aloud to purchase a firearm in the state I move to.

Unless I can find the exact gun I want in-store around here.

What do?

Do what I do. Order online and have it shipped to your FFL.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MattACaster

View Post

FWIW, I have a Springfield 1911A1 Mil-spec and I've never used a tool to take it apart... idn_smilie.gif

My Springfield Loaded Target required an allen wrench. Not a huge deal but I couldn't strip that gun and put it back together with my eyes closed like I can with pretty much all of my other ones.

• Members

View Post

Yep, makes sense. I understand it now. I've read that a downside to the bull barrel is that after some wear, you need to replace a lot more, at a higher cost, than with the bushing barrel. Because on the bull barrel, the barrel rides on the slide. Whereas on the bushing version, the barrel rides on the bushing. What's cheaper to replace?

The bushing of course, but we're not talking 500 rds or anything causes any meaningful wear on a barrel. You'll go a long time with good steel, and lubrication. Plus, some shooters may place a high enough value on accuracy and simplicity to overcome any shortcomings.

• Members

View Post

Interesting. I think I focused on doing the opposite: usually shooting with the joint is a no-no. Usually you want to shoot with the pad of your finger instead of the joint. Never tried shooting the Glock with my joint. But next time I'll try it.

Well, I said that pretty badly. Index the trigger against the first joint. Then pull with the pad by curling the finger. I was using more of the side of the finger instead of crooking the finger only. The first joint was my position reference.

• Members

Question for you folks who like to plink. Thinking about getting a firearm again after 25 some years. Want a handgun to plink with and to protect myself if needbe.

Mostly for target shooting etc. TOTALLY miss my ole Ruger Target .22LR pistol.

(Not the best choice for protection I know) ANYWAY...looking for something that

shoots cheap, readily available ammo, accurate, easy to clean and reliable.

What should I get ? Fire away...seriously thoughfacepalm.gifwink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by n0fx

View Post

Question for you folks who like to plink. Thinking about getting a firearm again after 25 some years. Want a handgun to plink with and to protect myself if needbe.

AK-47 - The very best there is. When you absolutely positively gotta kill every mother{censored}er in the room - Accept no substitutes

• Members

View Post

9mm is the smallest caliber I would use for protection. It's cheap and plentiful. If you're going to use it for ( mainly ) plinking I'd go for a 9mm. For self defense you can find a wide range of ammo for that exact need.

I've gone through many 9mm's ... Glock, HK, Kahr, Sig ... it's mainly what you like best since there are sooo many good choices. My favorite is the HK P2000.

I've got a nice SW revolver for plinking ( model 19-4 ) that can cycle 38 special or 357 magnum ...oh yeah!

• Members

View Post

Glock 19. Easy to maintain, cheap to shoot, big enough caliber for self defense, doesn't recoil too hard, big enough that it doesn't feel like a toy, small enough to conceal...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vaguelee

View Post

Glock 19. Easy to maintain, cheap to shoot, big enough caliber for self defense, doesn't recoil too hard, big enough that it doesn't feel like a toy, small enough to conceal...

This, and if you want a cheaper way to shoot it, you can buy a .22 slide that will shoot .22 for the price of about 1000 9mm rounds. Shoot a 1000 .22 rounds with the .22 slide and you've saved yourself the cost of the conversion slide.

I have a G19 and a ruger .22. I'd get one of the conversions, but the ruger is my plinking gun, but 9mm is relatively inexpensive.

• Members

View Post

That's assuming the online dealer has a physical gun in stock to ship. Otherwise, you still gotta wait for one to come from the factory.

Tell me what you want and I will find it for you. Unless you're getting something off the wall odd it will be in stock somewhere or be very soon.

• Members

View Post

There are too many answers to that question. Also, here on HCAF you will gets guys that give suggestions on a good gun and then others that will suggest to you... tupperware. icon_lol.gif Glocks are good but I hate them.

I will say I recommend a 9mm. High capacity, cheaper to shoot than anything but .22, defensive ammo can be bought that will eliminate any difference in effectiveness between 9mm and something like a .45. To make a better recommendation I'll need to know if size is an issue.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brady

View Post

This, and if you want a cheaper way to shoot it, you can buy a .22 slide that will shoot .22 for the price of about 1000 9mm rounds. Shoot a 1000 .22 rounds with the .22 slide and you've saved yourself the cost of the conversion slide.

I have a G19 and a ruger .22. I'd get one of the conversions, but the ruger is my plinking gun, but 9mm is relatively inexpensive.

I just can't get down with .22 as a plinking replacement for anything. At that point I might as well really go for it and just start plinking with a BB gun.

• Members

View Post

I love the 1911. But for my first gun that I'll be owning, I think I wan to go with something with a higher capacity and easier to maintain. I'll probably end up getting a 1911 at some point anyway. biggrin.gif

They do make hi-cap 1911s, ya know. redface.gif

p14.jpg

Also, for semi-auto, I find my Kimber to be extremely easy to maintain, certainly every bit as much as my Springfield .40. To each his own, though. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

View Post

I wanna eventually wind up in NYC. And AFAIK, you can't own (or at least carry) in the city.

NYS is one of the worst places to live and own guns, second to NYC. You need a permit for pretty much anything and it's expensive and bull{censored}. Bloomberg is a {censored}ing idiot.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik_Yerbouti

View Post

Also, for semi-auto, I find my Kimber to be extremely easy to maintain, certainly every bit as much as my Springfield .40. To each his own, though. idn_smilie.gif

After doing some research, with a bushing barrel, you need no tool to strip a (Kimber) 1911. But it still seems like a PITA to me. With a bull barrel, you need a "tool" to insert into the guide rod to hold the spring tension in order to break the gun down. I found a company that makes replacement guide rod assemblies that let you do it tool-free. But that's an added cost and just more to worry about. There's also the issue of reinserting the take-down lever. If you do it wrong, by accident, you risk causing that infamous "idiot scratch" that can pose additional problems.

Don't get me wrong. I love the 1911. My favorite gun to shoot. And I'll get one eventually. But probably not as my first firearm.

Still haven't decided. But It's down to the Sig P220, XDm, or Glock. The Sig P250 looks pretty sweet, too. But I'm reluctant to get a DAO gun. But it's got a more comfortable grip/frame than the 220. Really simple to strip. Not overly expensive. Comes with metal night sights, undercut trigger guard, frame-mounted mag release, pic rail, etc. But... DAO, which is a deal breaker I think.

1287727019.jpg

• Members

View Post

After doing some research, with a bushing barrel, you need no tool to strip a (Kimber) 1911. But it still seems like a PITA to me. With a bull barrel, you need a "tool" to insert into the guide rod to hold the spring tension in order to break the gun down. I found a company that makes replacement guide rod assemblies that let you do it tool-free. But that's an added cost and just more to worry about. There's also the issue of reinserting the take-down lever. If you do it wrong, by accident, you risk causing that infamous "idiot scratch" that can pose additional problems.

Don't get me wrong. I love the 1911. My favorite gun to shoot. And I'll get one eventually. But probably not as my first firearm.

Still haven't decided. But It's down to the Sig P220, XDm, or Glock. The Sig P250 looks pretty sweet, too. But I'm reluctant to get a DAO gun.

1287727019.jpg

Never had one problem or mishap stripping and cleaning my Kimber, but like I said, to each his own.

I'd go with either the Springfield or the Sig out of the ones you've listed. I like having at least the addition of a thumb safety instead of just a "don't touch the trigger" safety.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post

Still haven't decided. But It's down to the Sig P220, XDm, or Glock. The Sig P250 looks pretty sweet, too. But I'm reluctant to get a DAO gun. But it's got a more comfortable grip/frame than the 220. Really simple to strip. Not overly expensive. Comes with metal night sights, undercut trigger guard, frame-mounted mag release, pic rail, etc. But... DAO, which is a deal breaker I think.

1287727019.jpg
Just a thought here, unless you're dropping the weapon in dirt/sand, you don't need to disassemble the gun that often.

The crucial parts you need to clean/lubricate are all accessible without disassembly.

Match shooters and gunsmiths will tell you that disassembling a custom fit 1911 is like shooting it 1000 times.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik_Yerbouti

View Post

They do make hi-cap 1911s, ya know. redface.gif

p14.jpg

My cousin has one of those in nickle. 'Nice ass gun that shots great because it's so heavy. But an all metal gun with 14+1 shots of .45 is a brick to carry! You might as well carry a Desert Eagle...biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by midnightlaundry

View Post

My cousin has one of those in nickle. 'Nice ass gun that shots great because it's so heavy. But an all metal gun with 14+1 shots of .45 is a brick to carry! You might as well carry a Desert Eagle...biggrin.gif

There's also this...

parap12.jpg

12+1 in a small frame. Chunky grip, but judging by the other guns the OP is considering, size doesn't seem to be a primary issue. cop.gif

Archived