OT: Some Kind of Gun Thread

FourT6and2

• Members

I've decided to {censored} it. I'm getting a 1911. Either Springfield Loaded Champion or Kimber Pro Raptor II or some such variant. Don't need a full-size 1911. A 4-5" barrel should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik_Yerbouti

View Post

There's also this...

parap12.jpg

12+1 in a small frame. Chunky grip, but judging by the other guns the OP is considering, size doesn't seem to be a primary issue. cop.gif

Yeah, size isn't an issue. But I don't think I need a full-size 1911. But how does that one above fit 12+1? Double stack?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2

View Post

I've decided to {censored} it. I'm getting a 1911. Either Springfield Loaded Champion or Kimber Pro Raptor II or some such variant. Don't need a full-size 1911. A 4-5" barrel should do.

Yeah, size isn't an issue. But I don't think I need a full-size 1911. But how does that one above fit 12+1? Double stack?

Yep. The grip is kinda chunky if you have smallish hands. I've got large hands, so it fits me perfectly, but if you're a smaller guy, it might be a bit of a problem.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin Rules

View Post

If you're not looking to carry it, why not get a full size?

It's only gonna be more accurate/badass

I dunno. I kinda like the 4" size for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik_Yerbouti

View Post

Yep. The grip is kinda chunky if you have smallish hands. I've got large hands, so it fits me perfectly, but if you're a smaller guy, it might be a bit of a problem.

Bro, I'm huge bro.

I'd have to hold the thing to see what it feels like. What make/model is it?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeth Man

View Post

It always amazes me how well Browning nailed pistol design 100+ years ago, even the aesthetics of a 1911 are somewhat timeless. Not to mention the .50 cal still being the HMG of choice.

What a master!

Absolutely. I was just thinking about this today. And I think that is why I'm going to get a 1911. I'm won't be carrying. So I have no need (at this time) for a weapon for protection outside my home. I'll be using it at the range as much as possible just to have fun and enjoy.

After a TON of research about 1911 models, I've decided to skip the factory-produced versions for a number of reasons and go with a high-end model. I could "work my way up" the food chain and start with an entry-level 1911. But I've never been one to do that sort of thing. I think it's a waste of money. I like to buy once and be done with it. Having said that, my decision is pretty much down to these two manufacturers:

Ed Brown

Special Forces

Kobra

Wilson Combat

CQB Full Size

Professional

I can't go wrong with either, it seems. I think it's down to customer service reputation and parts support. In that arena, Wilson has the better rep. But both companies have lead times in excess of one year. So it will depend on what I can find in stock at a retail location in my area, or find one somewhere else and have it shipped to my local FFL.

I had a chance to handle a few high-end 1911s today: Ed Brown, Christensen, Wilson, Knighthawk. They were all INCREDIBLY well made. The only 1911s I've shot have been Kimbers, Springfields, and Colts. And these things were leaps and bounds better in every way. I'm hooked.

038s.jpg

33uz9n4.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nedezero

View Post

How's this for nostalgia...

11-4.jpg

Schexy!

I think I'm gonna get an Ed Brown Kobra. Just gotta sell a guitar or amp to pay for it. frown.gif The Wilsons are sweet, too. But it's harder to find one exactly how I want and I'd rather custom order one in a few years maybe.

What's the skinny on the one you posted? Yours?

• Members

View Post

Schexy!

I think I'm gonna get an Ed Brown Kobra. Just gotta sell a guitar or amp to pay for it. frown.gif The Wilsons are sweet, too. But it's harder to find one exactly how I want and I'd rather custom order one in a few years maybe.

He starts with a budget and now he's gotta sell gear to buy something way fancier than he intended.

Only on HCAF icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

He starts with a budget and now he's gotta sell gear to buy something way fancier than he intended.

Only on HCAF icon_lol.gif

It's the only way to fly. Honestly, do I need a fancy-pants 1911? No. Do I need a gun? No. Don't need a fancy guitar amp either. But {censored} it! I got too many guitars anyway. biggrin.gif

I rationalize it this way: many people wind up buying 2, 3, 5 guns

• Members

View Post

It's the only way to fly. Honestly, do I need a fancy-pants 1911? No. Do I need a gun? No. Don't need a fancy guitar amp either. But {censored} it! I got too many guitars anyway. biggrin.gif

I rationalize it this way: many people wind up buying 2, 3, 5 guns

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
Schexy!

Just a stock pic.

It's a Detonics Scoremaster. They were the first big-bore conversions of the 1911. You could get them in .451 Detonics, .44 Automag etc.

You might remember Tackleberry swooning his cop girlfriend in the first Police Academy movie with one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by theAntihero

View Post

I greatly recommend you dont get a very expensive 1911 for your first pistol, seriously. Im not a major 1911 fan and much less so of the very expensive ones as to me its like the bestest,handmade,gold plated.....abacus. The 1911 is a fine pistol in a lot of ways but they have their quirks and are not exactly the pistol i would recommend to an amateur.

Yeah, I understand. But I think I'm set on a 1911. The other guns I've been considering (Glock 21, XDm, P220, FNx) are all great. But I enjoy shooting 1911s way more. And that's all I'll be doing

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by theAntihero

View Post

Just because a gun cost more doesnt mean its going to be more reliable, the 1911 system has its quirks hell there are some that wont function with anything but hardball, plus its over 100 years old there really isnt a lot of new technology in it.

Im not saying you shouldnt get a 1911, i think everyone should at least fire one in their life, my point is i dont think you should buy a multi thousand dollar one right off the bat, its like getting a 9 year old a 59 Les Paul for his first guitar. Sure its a fine guitar that many will lust after but a 100 buck set up Rondo guitar would do the exact same thing.

Guns are like gear, you wont be buying just one if you get into it, dont start off with something super expensive because it wont save you oney in the long run.

Breakage isnt a norm with guns and frankly if you are just going to shoot paper reliability is less of a concern, accuracy would be the biggest concern.

Take a look at Ruger's 1911, its decently priced and like all Ruger's stuff very well made.

I hear ya. And I understand your point.

But I think the analogy is closer to a guitarist who has been playing for a number of years but has never owned his own guitar. He's been borrowing his buddy's. Now he's ready to get one for himself and he's not going to go out and by a Fender Squire. He's no beginner. It's not like he's never picked up a guitar before. I've been going to the range 2-3 times a month for the last 3 or 4 years. I've shot Glocks, Kimbers, Colts, Springfields, FNH, Nighthawks, AR15s, Rugers, Walthers, Sigs, and so on. I've taken a number of NRA courses (if that even means anything). So I'm not a beginner in the true sense of the word.

Do I know everything? Nope. Not even close. But I found an Ed Brown for a good price. About the same as two Kimbers or one-and-a-half TRPs. biggrin.gif And I think I'm gonna jump on it unless there's a good reason not to, money aside. I've shot many 1911s and I'm familiar with how they operate. I've never stripped one and cleaned it though. That's definitely something to consider...

• Members

View Post

You want to get a quality gun the first time, do it!

Judging by your gear you don't have problems with spending money on quality

Pretty much. But I always try to do research on what I'm buying. Everything in my sig was bought used, for a good deal, over the course of about 10 years. I waited until I found the right guitar or amp that I wanted and skipped "working my way up the food chain." Sure I started out with a little practice guitar and a {censored}ty solid state 10" amp. But once I got good enough and understood more and more about what I wanted, I saved up for the exact thing instead of buying/selling over and over.

My best friend has been through a number of cars. He buys a new one every year or two, trading in or selling his current one. I think he's owned like 15 cars. I think that's crazy. I saved up and bought the exact car I wanted. Sure, it had a higher initial cost. But I've had it for almost 10 years. And I think I saved money in the long run.

That's just how I operate.

• Members

K... Here's the skinny on 1911's...

I've built a bunch and shot a {censored}load of rounds downrange through various full house builds.

My current beater gun is my Springfield TRP which BTW is a hell of a nice pistol.

Of the two you mentioned (Ed Brown or Wilson) get a Wilson. Ed Brown builds a fine weapon but they're not nearly the company Wilson is from a customer service standpoint. If you get a basic Wilson CQB it'll last the rest of your natural life and if you ever did have an issue Wilson is a great outfit do deal with.

You can save nearly a grand and get a Springfield TRP. Springfield has the best customer service in the biz. The TRP's are hailed by the high end pistolsmiths as the best "factory" guns in the business. They're built great, they shoot great, and if you ever do have any problem at all, you call Springfields custom shop and they'll have a Next Day shipping address in your email same day. It'll go through their custom shop and get sorted and be back in your hands so fast you'll be amazed.

Ed Brown is (by all acounts I've heard, never owned one) a cast iron bitch to deal with. Were I looking to get a high end production gun it'd be these, but no particular order.

Springfield "Professional" model (About $2400 and fully built by hand in the Custom Shop)

Wilson CQB

Guncrafter "No Name" model

Baer Thunder Ranch model

I also would never carry or buy anything but a full size (5in.) 1911 because the shorter ones have a shorter slide stroke that makes them a bit less reliable.

Take it or leave it.

8A9F00DF-E132-46D6-AE87-C483333653AA-195

Last range trip lol

A1721DAC-8041-4AF7-B274-C7DCA96F8AED-364

The TRP...

B3B22153-0E85-44D3-91BB-DEBE7720D9F7-364

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by madryan

View Post

My current beater gun is my Springfield TRP which BTW is a hell of a nice pistol.

Checked one out today side-by-side with a Wilson CQB Compact. Pretty good. I think it was about $1800 or so.

Of the two you mentioned (Ed Brown or Wilson) get a Wilson. Ed Brown builds a fine weapon but they're not nearly the company Wilson is from a customer service standpoint. If you get a basic Wilson CQB it'll last the rest of your natural life and if you ever did have an issue Wilson is a great outfit do deal with.

I like the Wilsons. A lot. Would love to own one. But only if I can get the exact one I'd like. And there are two problems: 1) They are more expensive. And 2) They are harder to find and currently have a 16-month backorder. Unless you know where I can get one in-stock somewhere? I've been calling dealers and everyone seems to mostly have compact models, which are too small for me, or other models I don't want to own. I'm really interested in the CQB full-size or the Professional.

You can save nearly a grand and get a Springfield TRP....Springfield "Professional" model (About $2400 and fully built by hand in the Custom Shop)

Ed Brown is the same price. But I'm sure SA's customer service is better. But a local shop has a CQB Compact for $2700. That's not bad, considering. But it's a compact and a bit small for me. It was comfortable to hold. But I'd prefer a Professional model for the full-size frame.

Ed Brown is (by all acounts I've heard, never owned one) a cast iron bitch to deal with.

Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews about Ed Brown's customer service. So I'm with ya there. And I've heard nothing but good things about Wilson.

I also would never carry or buy anything but a full size (5in.) 1911 because the shorter ones have a shorter slide stroke that makes them a bit less reliable.

Interesting, thanks! Does that take into account things like different recoil spring weights, different ammo loads/grain, and etc.?

• Members

View Post

Checked one out today side-by-side with a Wilson CQB Compact. Pretty good. I think it was about $1800 or so.

I like the Wilsons. A lot. Would love to own one. But only if I can get the exact one I'd like. And there are two problems: 1) They are more expensive. And 2) They are harder to find and currently have a 16-month backorder. Unless you know where I can get one in-stock somewhere? I've been calling dealers and everyone seems to mostly have compact models, which are too small for me, or other models I don't want to own. I'm really interested in the CQB full-size or the Professional.

Ed Brown is the same price. But I'm sure SA's customer service is better. But a local shop has a CQB Compact for $2700. That's not bad, considering. But it's a compact and a bit small for me. It was comfortable to hold. But I'd prefer a Professional model for the full-size frame.

Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews about Ed Brown's customer service. So I'm with ya there. And I've heard nothing but good things about Wilson.

Interesting, thanks! Does that take into account things like different recoil spring weights, different ammo loads/grain, and etc.?

The reliability thing has to do with the length of the slide and the available stroke. It's got nothing to do with anything else. In smaller guns everything is a bit shorter and everything goes faster so you've got more opportunity for stuff to get screwed up. In the 5in. guns there's alot you can do to slow down your locktime even more over most "stock" guns but the fact remains the same that you've got ample stroke and ample time for everything to function properly.

A TRP should cost you about $1400 or so. No more than $1500.

If you want a gun, get on Gunbroker and find it. It's like ebay for guns. Order what you want. Pay for it and transfer it through your local FFL.

Springfield Pro's are super hard to find. You're best off just ordering one and waiting. It's an 18month backlog currently per the folks at the SACS when I talked to them last month. Phenomenal pistol but for most folks who aren't going to rack up astronomical round counts a TRP is every bit as nice. There isn't alot of difference between the two really. The first thing I did with my TRP was {censored}can the entire magwell setup and then do my own bevel job and round the butt and all that.

0DC2FBC9-825C-486C-855F-8AE0248CD290-108

8C96B39A-19B2-4DEB-A4B3-F1EE64FF4375-108

Archived