OT: Some Kind of Gun Thread

FourT6and2

• Members
The FN is awesome as is the USP and the XD.

However, for me, I'd rather have something like a Springfield 1911 Range Officer, especially if it's your first gun. I would recommend a striker fired gun for someone's first time. With the 1911 you can easily identify what condition it's in by the very obvious hammer and safety. They are rugged and aren't hard to clean at all. A great place to start.

ro1.jpg

:thu:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

$2700 for a 1911? {censored} that. I have too many guns that are super reliable and more accurate than me that there is no way I'd drop that on a 1911.

Meh, I got no problem with it if the quality is there and it meets all my needs/desires. It's no different than buying a $2,700 guitar amp...

• Members

If you want a gun, get on Gunbroker and find it.

Yep, I registered the other day. That's how I found an Ed Brown Kobra for a decent price from a shop in Arizona. There are a few Wilsons on there as well. But again, they're more expensive.

Thanks for the info! I'll look at full-sizes. I've noticed Commander-sized (4") are more expensive anyway. Why is that?

• Members

Yep, I registered the other day. That's how I found an Ed Brown Kobra for a decent price from a shop in Arizona. There are a few Wilsons on there as well. But again, they're more expensive.

Thanks for the info! I'll look at full-sizes. I've noticed Commander-sized (4") are more expensive anyway. Why is that?

Many smiths who build hard use guns won't even build anything but a full size gun for people who are going into harms way with them. The smaller guns are kind of a niche thing. The extra inch of barrel isn't hard to conceal, it's the extra grip that's relatively hard to conceal. If I had smaller hands I'd give up one round of capacity and shave my grip down to an officers size because that'd be the ticket for carry but honestly, a regular full size gun is easy for me to stash.

If it's warm out I pack a G-19 IWB and if it's cold I do that or my 1911. Either works well. Honestly, for carry I'll take my shaved grip G-19 over anything. The trigger is super smooth, no safety to worry about and it holds 16 rounds. It's also never choked in about 20k rounds.

I absolutely don't like any pistol with a DA/SA trigger (such as the Sig Sauer's unless they're the DAK or DAO trigger) for carry. When the {censored} hits the fan you'll miss with the first few shots almost guaranteed. With something like a DAO, a striker fired pistol like a Glock, M&P, etc. or a true single action like a Browning HP or 1911 your chance of hitting your target with your first couple of shots is much higher. It's a function of training, muscle memory, and adrenaline.

Additionally, Sig's don't hold up to astronomical round counts all that well. Wonderfully built but they're sort of not the most robust design in the world. My local shop has had several come through that {censored} the bed out at Thunder Ranch and needed to be sent back for warranty work. Get something like a Glock and they'll run forever. I've had Glocks with 50k round counts that were almost like new. Basic consumable parts swaps like springs and whatnot but other than that nothing else.

• Members

Many smiths who build hard use guns won't even build anything but a full size gun for people who are going into harms way with them. The smaller guns are kind of a niche thing. The extra inch of barrel isn't hard to conceal, it's the extra grip that's relatively hard to conceal. If I had smaller hands I'd give up one round of capacity and shave my grip down to an officers size because that'd be the ticket for carry but honestly, a regular full size gun is easy for me to stash.

If it's warm out I pack a G-19 IWB and if it's cold I do that or my 1911. Either works well. Honestly, for carry I'll take my shaved grip G-19 over anything. The trigger is super smooth, no safety to worry about and it holds 16 rounds. It's also never choked in about 20k rounds.

I absolutely don't like any pistol with a DA/SA trigger (such as the Sig Sauer's unless they're the DAK or DAO trigger) for carry. When the {censored} hits the fan you'll miss with the first few shots almost guaranteed. With something like a DAO, a striker fired pistol like a Glock, M&P, etc. or a true single action like a Browning HP or 1911 your chance of hitting your target with your first couple of shots is much higher. It's a function of training, muscle memory, and adrenaline.

Additionally, Sig's don't hold up to astronomical round counts all that well. Wonderfully built but they're sort of not the most robust design in the world. My local shop has had several come through that {censored} the bed out at Thunder Ranch and needed to be sent back for warranty work. Get something like a Glock and they'll run forever. I've had Glocks with 50k round counts that were almost like new. Basic consumable parts swaps like springs and whatnot but other than that nothing else.

I have no qualms with DA/SA triggers. But I do prefer SAO. I dislike DAO.

• Members

I have no qualms with DA/SA triggers. But I do prefer SAO. I dislike DAO.

DAO done properly is fine. I don't like a long, revolver like pull but a nice, polished up glock trigger is totally fine with me. People will shoot well with anything they practice with provided it's the same pull every time.

• Members

DAO done properly is fine. I don't like a long, revolver like pull but a nice, polished up glock trigger is totally fine with me. People will shoot well with anything they practice with provided it's the same pull every time.

I agree with this. I have a gp100 with a DA pull of eleventy billion pounds but with practice i can pull it to just a hairsbreath before the hammer falls and get some serious accuracy from it. I also dont mind a heavier pull as its one of my woods walking guns and the extra safety factor is nice.

• Members

I feel like a Glock trigger is slightly different from a true DAO, though. Isn't the firing pin mechanism 90% cocked in a Glock?

• Members

I feel like a Glock trigger is slightly different from a true DAO, though. Isn't the firing pin mechanism 90% cocked in a Glock?

It's something like that. It's half pulled or something like that.

From a functional standpoint, and a real world effectiveness standpoint, Glocks are really tough to beat. Nearly 3 decades of getting beat on in the real world and they've got half the parts of most pistols. They just flat work.

Mine are both totally modded, that is both grips are shaved and stippled and then I polished the stock internals to make them much smoother. So while the guns are totally stock they shoot much smoother than "stock" lol.

• Members

I am in the market for a 1911.

Looked into high priced brands,( Ed Brown,Nighthawk,Les Baer..)

For my the Springfield Range Officer is it.

Good price,great customer service,and it was recommended by a guy I know that teaches gunsmithing.

I'm going to the Tanner Gun show tomorrow,my GP100 .357 is bitching already.

For concealed carry I've been looking at the Springfield XDs.

A 5+1 .45 ACP that fits in the palm of your hand =:love:

• Members

I am in the market for a 1911.

Looked into high priced brands,( Ed Brown,Nighthawk,Les Baer..)

For my the Springfield Range Officer is it.

Good price,great customer service,and it was recommended by a guy I know that teaches gunsmithing.

I'm going to the Tanner Gun show tomorrow,my GP100 .357 is bitching already.

For concealed carry I've been looking at the Springfield XDs.

A 5+1 .45 ACP that fits in the palm of your hand =
:love:

IMO, the M&P and Glocks are both much nicer guns. They're built better, fewer parts, and they handle and shoot better.

• Members

IMO, the M&P and Glocks are both much nicer guns. They're built better, fewer parts, and they handle and shoot better.

They might shoot better for some people,but not me.

I shoot better with a heavier gun.

Plastic doesn't cut it for me.

• Members

They might shoot better for some people,but not me.

I shoot better with a heavier gun.

Plastic doesn't cut it for me.

I was talking about the XD vs. the M&P and the Glock. You really can't compare a good 1911 (which the RO certainly is) and a Glock. My TRP is an awesome pistol and I've heard through the grapevine that the Range Officer is built with alot of the same hand fitting that the TRP's get. Just none of the checkering and bake on finish.

The XD is kind of a clunker but Springfields 1911's are second to none IMO.

• Members

61934_10101170850283608_1926614944_n.jpg

bought a remington 870 from walmart yesterday, first gun I've owned. The gf didn't like the mossberg 500 as much, felt the 870 was more robust and more like a tool than a toy (no offense mossberg lovers/owners). Shot 30 or so shells through it today, feels good but now my shoulder hurts lol. I'll have to have my gf's dad actually show me how to shoot.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kardula

View Post

61934_10101170850283608_1926614944_n.jpg

bought a remington 870 from walmart yesterday, first gun I've owned. The gf didn't like the mossberg 500 as much, felt the 870 was more robust and more like a tool than a toy (no offense mossberg lovers/owners). Shot 30 or so shells through it today, feels good but now my shoulder hurts lol. I'll have to have my gf's dad actually show me how to shoot.

I've got a 500 and an 870. While I don't think the 500 feels like a toy, it certainly isn't built to 870 standards.

That's a great gun to start with. Very good home defense weapon.

You done good. thumb.gif

That's a cute pink bag. icon_lol.gif

• Members

So I'm going through this thread because i've been thinking about getting my first handgun for home defense and target practicing. But I've been thinking about revolvers. Not even sure what to get. I saw an older .357 Ruger service revolver in a reputable gun shop here (used) for $325, the guy said he'd do $300 cash. My roommate bought a brand new Colt 1911 awhile back. It looked amazing, but it's $1200 and besides I never got to shoot it. I guess I'm leaning more towards a very reliable revolver that shoots well.

Any suggestion, gun bros?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ~Abstract~

View Post

I've got a 500 and an 870. While I don't think the 500 feels like a toy, it certainly isn't built to 870 standards.

That's a great gun to start with. Very good home defense weapon.

You done good. thumb.gif

That's a cute pink bag. icon_lol.gif

actually it's red, didn't realize how pink it is in the pic until you pointed it out. GF's dad had an old Ruger 10/22 bag he didn't need so he gave it to us for storage.

I didn't think the mossy felt like a toy but it definitely didn't feel as robust as the 870. Toy was the only thing the gf could use to describe it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Soundstorm

View Post

So I'm going through this thread because i've been thinking about getting my first handgun for home defense and target practicing. But I've been thinking about revolvers. Not even sure what to get. I saw an older .357 Ruger service revolver in a reputable gun shop here (used) for $325, the guy said he'd do $300 cash. My roommate bought a brand new Colt 1911 awhile back. It looked amazing, but it's $1200 and besides I never got to shoot it. I guess I'm leaning more towards a very reliable revolver that shoots well.

Any suggestion, gun bros?

Revolvers are great ... and in my mind a purer shooting experience. Ruger makes a fine firearm albiet they could use a little polish ...

S&W make my favorites ... here's my Model 19

DSCN0912.jpg

My Aunt bought it new in the late 70's ... shot it once and gave it to my Dad. He gave it to my brother who gave it to me. The Model 19 is a K frame that shoots 38's and 357. It's a great gun that I baby ( mostly shoot 38's with the occasional 157 grain 357 round ).

• Members

Tough to beat a S&W Revolver.

With regards to the shotguns...

The Mossberg M590 A1 is quite a bit more robust than the regular 500's and is one of my favorite shottys of all time. I love where the safety is mounted. I've had several 870's and they're nice as well.

To me it comes down to this... If you're going to mount a pistol grip or a stock with a pistol grip like a speedfeed get a Remington. The safety position gives it the edge. If you're keeping the regular stock on it get the Mossberg 590A1. They're built like tanks. They come with an all metal trigger group and they're parkerized.

Or if you want a shotgun you can actually shoot well buy a Benelli M2 wink.gif

BenelliM2.jpg

Archived