The Official "Randall Army" sign up thread!

-Juggernaut-

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Am i still in the Randall army if my amp in the pawn shop.... LMAO.. Get it out in 2 weeks and all I got to say is.. {censored} amp modelers such as GR2..even though, Im getting ALOT less noice since I redid my guitar cable ends.. I hardly even use the noise gate now.. Which is good because it was like a tonal black hole.... been playing through my PC since my amp is away.. No amount of math and calculations can compare to the RG 100es's raw distortion... Atleast I havent been able to tweek any to give any truely decent distortion..

PC setup isnt too bad though as it can move alot of air

XFI sound card wIO drive

Sub wooferamp running 2 poineer speakers

• Members

GuitarsAmp.jpg

Some have seen this pic of my gear before but I thought I would post it once again..... Not like I have been on this forum here lately LOL

Only difference in my gear is change in PuP on my jackson..... Damn... That guitar sounds and plays better that any thing I have ever touched..

Well..Im outa here.. L8ta

• Members

I have the randall titan head. I really like the tone but the amp has a hum that will not go away. I have tried everything and I took it to a few techs and none of them could figure it out. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

I grabbed this off my local cl. Missing 1 1/2 knobs, but works fine. The speakers are the original Eminence alnico. Very quiet amp noise - wise for it's age. Heavy azz beast.

Paid 100 bucks for it and the guy threw in a Digitech Multi Chorus a friend is bugging me to sell him for 35 bucks, so if i do, I'll have 65 bucks in the amp.

Evidently, they made a 212, a 115, and a 410 model combo. I've got old Guitar Player mags, so I'm sure I'll find the ad for it when I get time. The issue on top of the stack had this ad in it.

The guy I bought it from is moving to Long Island for his job and didn't have room for it in the truck he rented. He wasn't lying, he was stuffing stuff in his car he was towing behind it, and it was full lol.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Awake77

View Post

How's that Commander IV sound? I have a mint RS-212 (2x12 Extension cab with the orange stripe) and have been on the lookout for a Commander head to go with it.

I've only played through it about 30 minutes. Kneeling in front of it with a strat's volume dimed in position 4, I dimed the channel's volume and the master volume, and was amazed at how quiet it was, Eq controls on the amp were about 5 and the reverb was off. I was muting the strings of course, but there was very little hiss and just a tad of hum. When I turned the strat out of it's face, the hum went away.

Playing, it's a very clean sounding amp. Not a lot of bass, but then it's a 410 open back. However, for my taste, it was fine with the bass control at about 7 or a bit less. Imho, it's a fairly decent touch responsive amp. Not at all like a tube amp, but I was pleasantly surprised. The treble boost is nice.

All these observations were noted while I was checking it out at the seller's place. When I got home, I used my Barber Direct Drive LG od pedal into a Barber Launch Pad. I checked out the amp's od first, and wasn't that impressed, but when I kicked the Barber Direct Drive on and tweaked the Launch Pad it sounded pretty sweet, I got the Neil Young Cinnamon Girl tone easily, both at low and high volumes. The master volume seems to raise the volume without coloring the tone too much. I did have the roll back the treble a tad when I cranked it, but all in all, I like the amp. It will get loud without sounding like crap.

I haven't run an extension cab with it yet to get the full 120 watts, and info is tough to find on it. I'm not sure how much it's doing with the 8 ohm load from the internal speakers, but I'm guessing 80 watts. I could be way off though.

It does seem to like pedals though. I used the digitech chorus I got in the deal, and it sounded nice, and I've got an old Zoom 504 acoustic version of the 505 that has 2 banks for electric guitar. Sounded fine, no noticeable noise issues.

I don't know the history of the amp as far as when or if it's been serviced, but as far as 70's solid state amps go, it's as good as most, even the Roland JC. I'll know more when I get with some players and see how it sounds in the mix.

Shoot, if the power transformer blows tomorrow, I can sell my friend the chorus pedal I got in the deal and sell the knobs and speakers on ebay and come out ahead lol. I'm happy with it so far.

• Members

My first amplifier was a Randall Commander II with a single Eminence 15" speaker.It was a pretty cool amp that had a really nice deep reverb and a funky overdrive tone that I actually kind of dug.I believe that I paid around $450 [new] back in late '76.

Ed

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RUExp?

View Post

I'm back to using my Randall Commander head. I had a Fender Bandmaster Reverb head for a while but ran into money issues and had to sell it.

I think I like the Randall even more though. Still haven't cleaned it up. cop.gif

IMG_0606.jpg

Hi RUExp?, do you happen to have schematics for your RG-120 ?

• Members

Wow, The guys at Randall rock ! I emailed them asking for the schematics on the Commander IV (RG-120), and they sent them a few hours later.

I just got home and haven't tried yet, but my tremolo on my amp may work after all. I assumed since the reverb was working without the footswitch the tremolo would too. But I now see on the schematic, the footswitch is for the tremolo only. It's a mono jack, not a TRS like I assumed. I'll have to plug one in later on today after I crawl out of bed and see if it works.

I'm really diggin this old amp.

Archived