The Official "Randall Army" sign up thread!

-Juggernaut-

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by EdMan57

View Post

My first amplifier was a Randall Commander II with a single Eminence 15" speaker.It was a pretty cool amp that had a really nice deep reverb and a funky overdrive tone that I actually kind of dug.I believe that I paid around $450 [new] back in late '76.

Ed

I bet that one was a killer blues rig w/the 15. I stated earlier that mine didn't do dirty tones all that well, but after giving it a chance and spending some time with it, it does have a sweet spot or two that works. cool.gif

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzsard

View Post

I bet that one was a killer blues rig w/the 15. I stated earlier that mine didn't do dirty tones all that well, but after giving it a chance and spending some time with it, it does have a sweet spot or two that works. cool.gif

Although I wasn't much of a player during that time,I did have a neighbor that was quite the blues rocker and he was able to dial in some happening blues rock tones with the Randall with his '62 Tele,especially with a touch of grit from the gain side and a healthy dose of spring reverb.Btw,I remember that I bought the 1-15" version over the 2-12" version because I thought that one bigger speaker must be better than two smaller speakers,lol!

Ed

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Owned in the past:

-Randall RG100ES

-Randall Century 170II

-Randall Cyclone (NEVER shoulda' sold it!!!)

I'm looking at a couple of Randall heads right now, and can't decide.

One is the newest G3 RH150 head, the other is the T2. I can get the T2 for about $100 more.

Thing is, I don't really need all that wattage, so the RH150 wins there, plus it's got separate EQ's for each channel. However....what are the pro's for the T2? Will it sound THAT much better? What are the major tonal differences we're talking here? I DO like that the T2 has Presence and Resonance controls. Thats always a plus too.

Ultimately I'll need to plug into both side by side if I can, and I will be doing so....but it's a long drive so I'd like to get some opinions and experiences in the meantime.

Thanx guys! thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman X

View Post

Owned in the past:

-Randall RG100ES

-Randall Century 170II

-Randall Cyclone (NEVER shoulda' sold it!!!)

I'm looking at a couple of Randall heads right now, and can't decide.

One is the newest G3 RH150 head, the other is the T2. I can get the T2 for about $100 more.

Thing is, I don't really need all that wattage, so the RH150 wins there, plus it's got separate EQ's for each channel. However....what are the pro's for the T2? Will it sound THAT much better? What are the major tonal differences we're talking here? I DO like that the T2 has Presence and Resonance controls. Thats always a plus too.

Ultimately I'll need to plug into both side by side if I can, and I will be doing so....but it's a long drive so I'd like to get some opinions and experiences in the meantime.

Thanx guys! thumb.gif

Random and OT, but I got two Invader's in a trade because of you. I'm also getting some BL USA L500XL's to see which I like better between the Duncan Distortion, Duncan Invader, and L500XL.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Spaced Out Ace

View Post

Random and OT, but I got two Invader's in a trade because of you. I'm also getting some BL USA L500XL's to see which I like better between the Duncan Distortion, Duncan Invader, and L500XL.

thumb.gif I have been trying to trade for an Invader because I wanna check one out.

I have a Duncan Distortion, and I dont like the L500XL...

• Members

View Post

Hheheh...no {censored}!

How do you like them?

I've had the L500XL as well. Good pick-up, but it's very bright in most guitars. Lot of upper harmonics, and a VERY tight low end.

• Members

View Post

Hheheh...no {censored}!

How do you like them?

I've had the L500XL as well. Good pick-up, but it's very bright in most guitars. Lot of upper harmonics, and a VERY tight low end.

I'm not sure yet. Waiting for the L500XLs to come in before I call my friend to help with the job. A third hand would make wiring three guitars up with new electronics will make it soooo much easier. Plus he needs to help with the Earvana nut I bought for my FX260. If I don't like the Invader, and judging from Nile's latest record, I should, I'll try the L500 and if that also doesn't work out, then I'll just go back to my Distortions.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by -Juggernaut-

View Post

pics/vid

a010.jpg

a012.jpg

Nice score!

I'll have to check out the vid later when I got time.

I just got the Dime head a couple of weeks ago myself. It IS very much like my old RG100ES....but man this thing's low end is punishing! Love the way it sounds, but I'm still trying to dial it right for recording. Probably gonna have to HP filter the {censored} out of it.

• Members

View Post

Nice score!

I'll have to check out the vid later when I got time.

I just got the Dime head a couple of weeks ago myself. It IS very much like my old RG100ES....but man this thing's low end is punishing! Love the way it sounds, but I'm still trying to dial it right for recording. Probably gonna have to HP filter the {censored} out of it.

24.75" scale + mahogany + invader + Dime D100 = HELLUVALOTABASS!

Surprised your house doesn't collapse. icon_lol.gif

EDIT: + Swamp Thangs... jesus christmas!

• Members

View Post

Well...I've been playing my basswood V with it, not the mahogany body.

But yeah, still....it's a massive, thick sound. Which is what I want...but I need to be able to capture it properly and get it to sit in the mix a certain way. That's gonna take some experimentation.

Right now I'm trying to decide my next amp....Randall RH150 G3, or T2.

• Members

View Post

Bass is a good thing wink.gif My favorite combination out of all my stuff is probably my Triple Recto and my 7 string with EMG 707's. It rattles things off walls on 1 biggrin.gif

Archived