The Official "Randall Army" sign up thread!

-Juggernaut-

• Members
Bass is a good thing
;)
My favorite combination out of all my stuff is probably my Triple Recto and my 7 string with EMG 707's. It rattles things off walls on 1
:D

For some reason, I just don't think it equals the thick and bassy tones of Metalman X's gear. If it did, your low B would be muddier than a pig. But, a good balance of highs, presence and lows with the right low mid/high mid mix is pretty sweet.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For some reason, I just don't think it equals the thick and bassy tones of Metalman X's gear. If it did, your low B would be muddier than a pig. But, a good balance of highs, presence and lows with the right low mid/high mid mix is pretty sweet.

I am usually in A or G, and my 7 is Mahogany ;) But, the 26.5" scale helps keep it tight.

Yeah, I want to check out Invaders. See if my 6 strings can get some of that same thickness, but hopefully still not mush all together. The Distortion isnt bad, but I find it kind of blurry on the low end, with somewhat annoying upper mids.

• Members
I am usually in A or G, and my 7 is Mahogany
;)
But, the 26.5" scale helps keep it tight.

Yeah, I want to check out Invaders. See if my 6 strings can get some of that same thickness, but hopefully still not mush all together. The Distortion isnt bad, but I find it kind of blurry on the low end, with somewhat annoying upper mids.

I didn't find it annoying or blurry, just a tad too "George Lynch" for my tastes, though I do kinda want a modernized 80s hair metal tone. IE, meaner mids, a touch thicker, and the low end evened out with the highs a bit.

• Members

I just think it tends to all sound blurry as compared to something very clear and clean like an EMG 707. But, I do like it for being different. I am just kind of sick of the typical upper mid, cardboard scraping pick attack of all the common high output passive pickups. And that includes the EMG 81 ;)

• Members

Bass is a good thing
;)
My favorite combination out of all my stuff is probably my Triple Recto and my 7 string with EMG 707's. It rattles things off walls on 1
:D

True...true indeed! Especially if you do doom based metal like I do.

Truth is, I'd rather have too much, and attenuate, rather than try and get what I need from something lacking, if you catch my drift. So long as the end result doesn't sound like Korn or some {censored}, It's all good. :thu:

• Members

Well....after much deliberation between the advantages of either the RH150 or the T2, I went with neither.

What I DID wind up getting was a sweet score on a new (albeit dusty) Randall V2!

This thing is a goddamned beast I tell ya!

Guitarrig01-01-201101.jpg

Guitarrig01-01-201102.jpg

Guitarrig01-01-201104.jpg

Anybody else here got one of these?

• Members

Damnit dude, I have been considering getting a GSP1101 or Tc G Major 2, and here you have both, lol.

Although, now I am leaning towards a POD HD500, just for extra ease of 4CM and newer sounding models...

the 1101 was actually designed to do the 4CM thing with ease. It also lets you load in upto 10 of your own choice speaker impulses as well, plus a whole host of other {censored}, what with the Beta firmwares: www.mustbebeta.com

There's even a buncha new models added with the Beta's, including a pretty damn good RG100ES!

I'm also certain it has way more models to choose from too. Though I haven't tried the new Line 6 stuff though. But when I compared the previous stuff to the 1101, the 1101 sonded better everytime, hands down. Not that I'm opposed to Line 6. I do really dig my Bass Pod XT Pro.

Go check out some of my tunes on Youtube or something. Something like 85%-90 of the guitar stuff i tracked using the GSP1101 and speaker IR's. that should at least give you an idea of what it does.

The G-Major II I use with the V2, and prior to that, I used it with an ADA MP-1.

The 1101, though it shares the rack, I use only for direct recording. It's not being used with the V2.

Anyways, here's some of my {censored} done with the 1101:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NadirEclipse

• Members

the 1101 was actually designed to do the 4CM thing with ease. It also lets you load in upto 10 of your own choice speaker impulses as well, plus a whole host of other {censored}, what with the Beta firmwares:
www.mustbebeta.com

There's even a buncha new models added with the Beta's, including a pretty damn good RG100ES!

I'm also certain it has way more models to choose from too. Though I haven't tried the new Line 6 stuff though. But when I compared the previous stuff to the 1101, the 1101 sonded better everytime, hands down. Not that I'm opposed to Line 6. I do really dig my Bass Pod XT Pro.

Go check out some of my tunes on Youtube or something. Something like 85%-90 of the guitar stuff i tracked using the GSP1101 and speaker IR's. that should at least give you an idea of what it does.

The G-Major II I use with the V2, and prior to that, I used it with an ADA MP-1.

The 1101, though it shares the rack, I use only for direct recording. It's not being used with the V2.

Anyways, here's some of my {censored} done with the 1101:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NadirEclipse

Yeah the GSP1101 was #1 on my list, and I even went to go try a RP1000 the other day just to get an idea. Sadly, they don't stock rack stuff and I need to buy something in stock to use the coupons/gift cards I have :(

I gave the HD500 a listen since it was just sitting there. I didn't intend to, but I was pretty impressed. It sounded similar to me through headphones to the RP1000. Maybe a bit less cocked-wahish than the Digitech. It did remind me of a similar tone to my PODxt I dont use, but the sounds were a bit more 3D and dynamic.

I think what gets me though is what I learned after I got home. Reading about the features and such, I think it could be a lot of fun for home use. Looper recorders, dual amps, filters, etc.. a lot of fun stuff that standard "run of the mill" units don't have. I have never been a fan of floorboard units, but I think I have to come with terms that my gear don't leave the house and rack isn't needed :lol:

So, I REALLY want to check out a GSP1101, but it just seems like things aren't working in my favor to go that way.

• Members

Im telling ya metalmanx you gotta scoop the mids on the v2s graphic eq then boost the mids with a eq pedal and add a tube screamer type overdrive. Both on the front end and it will give you the most metal tone you can imagine.Can easily hang with a diezel herberts 3rd channel.

• Members

Im telling ya metalmanx you gotta scoop the mids on the v2s graphic eq then boost the mids with a eq pedal and add a tube screamer type overdrive. Both on the front end and it will give you the most metal tone you can imagine.Can easily hang with a diezel herberts 3rd channel.

Interesting....I may give that a whirl just for {censored}s.

I've only gotten to toy with it for about an hour yet. But thus far, I get a VERY nice, almost industrial-ish metal rhythm tone by using the SS channel, with the mids boosted to 8 o'clock, than scooping out the 625hz slider completely, while leaving a couple of them flat, and the highest and lowest boosted.

There's alot in this amp to tinker with, so I know i'll be unlocking it for awhile. :thu:

• Members

I was gonna say you should go with the V2. Get some compressed air and blow that sucker clean.

Yep....already did EXACTLY that! :thu:

And yeah....can't go wrong with this amp. I played one a couple of years ago and loved it. Just could NOT afford it. But the Sam Ash in New Haven had it marked down wicked low on clearance since it's been sitting there for a couple of years. Thus I got it for about $700. Still more than I really wanted to spend, but I just couldn't deny the tone, and amount of features it offers. Definitely worth it.

• Members
Yep....already did EXACTLY that!
:thu:

And yeah....can't go wrong with this amp. I played one a couple of years ago and loved it. Just could NOT afford it. But the Sam Ash in New Haven had it marked down wicked low on clearance since it's been sitting there for a couple of years. Thus I got it for about $700. Still more than I really wanted to spend, but I just couldn't deny the tone, and amount of features it offers. Definitely worth it.

Hmm... so it was a floor model? Did you make sure it wasn't messed up? I'm sure Randall's warranty would be good to you if so, but just thought I'd ask.

Oh, and comment in this thread and get Shask's gas for an Invader up. :lol:

here

• Members

Hmm... so it was a floor model? Did you make sure it wasn't messed up? I'm sure Randall's warranty would be good to you if so, but just thought I'd ask.

Oh, and comment in this thread and get Shask's gas for an Invader up.
:lol:

here

Oh yeah...inspected it good. Plus I've played through it there a few times before. I actually thought it was sold, cuz it wasn't up front with the T2 and RH150 heads. It was tucked away in the back on top of a Vox cab and a couple of Krank SST's sitting atop it. Was glad I decided to take a peek around the store again while I was there. I was pretty much set on walking out the dorr with the T2 til I saw the V2 still there. It was a couple hundred more, but you get a lot of extra's for that cash! And I like an amp I can tweak the {censored} out of. As it was, I was already making plans to procure a graphic EQ to use with the T2...so that right there, it's a no brainer which head I was MEANT to have. And I knew I wanted the V2 from the time I played it over a year ago. Just finally had the money, and the opportunity presented itself as I returned the Dime head, and just sold my MP-1.

• Members

Did you not like the Dime head?

Sadly, I never play my Randall. Not that it doesn't sound good, I just have too much stuff
:(

Actually, I did like it...but I think I just wanted more control. I'm a tweaker like that.

The only other issue I had was it had alot of weird sub-harmonic stuff going on. sounded cool on a few settings, but I couldn't get it to record well at all. Very muddy for the most part. Even with a parametric through the loop, once I dial the mud out, the ball's went with it too. I've never had those kindsa' issues with anything else.

Now granted, I coulda' spent some more time with it, but once I saw some of the other options I had I figured I'd be wiser to get my money back and get something else that I KNEW I could work with.

If I had more cash, and was playing shows, I mighta kept the Dime head. It did sound thick and powerful, and I do think it woulda' cut no problem, but getting that sound, or something similar, to "tape" was not jiving. Not unless I did a buncha {censored} with it, and at that point, the character of the amp wasn't really there, thus whats the point?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by -Juggernaut-

View Post

Don't have any problems with my Dime amp, thing is a killer amp, especially for the price. thumb.gif although my X2 makes every SS amp I've used pale in comparison.

I'm not saying the Dime amp is bad. Far from it. It's a beast, and well worth the price tag.

Me, I just wasn't jiving with it like I thought I would. The V2 is a much better fit for my needs both tone and feature wise.

That X2 of yours is a monster though. Never got to play one myself, but would jump at the chance to have a go at one! thumb.gif

I owned a Randall Cyclone for many years, that I regret selling. That, to me was the epitome of SS ampage. I like it better than the Warhead I tried side by side with it once. Had a beefier, fuller voicing despite seeming to be identical amps (well, the Warhead had built-in FX, but that never mattered to me). I may try to snag up a Cyclone again sometime should I see one turn up while I have the cash. The V2 fills it's void, for the most part, but the Cyclone still had it's own character.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by -Juggernaut-

View Post

keep an eye on www.musicgoround.com they have the Cyclones pop up quite often, I had a Warhead, traded it to a local guy I used to jam with cause I felt sorry for him, wish I still had it. cry.gif I'll find another one. thumb.gif

The X2 is MASSIVE!!!! I absolutely LOVE IT!!

Aye, thanx!

I see one there right now, in fact.

Probably have to wait til Income Tax Xmas though, if ya' know what I mean.

I'm torn though. There's a store near me selling a minty used Randall 2x12 w/ V30's for like $260. Was gonna wait til tax time and maybe grab that. But I'm thinking I may let go my Marshall VS4x12 on Craigslist or something, and try to grab it. One of those ones with the black tolex, and the whitish/blond weave front.

Archived