The Rivera Lounge - Welcome in!

Dave L

• Members

I had an amp do certain things like that with popping and what not. I took to the shop and they had to replace some resistors that where going bad. I would definatly get it in to the shop soon. I didn't and replaced the tubes and had the resistors finally go and blew a couple tubes and everything. Take it in. its definatly worth it.

Matt

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looks COOL,

you must have some cabinetry skills

its actually automotive Vinyl Dye. it comes in what look like regualr spray cans, but it soaks into the tolex and dries extremely quick. With the grill cloth, i used very light dustings of flat black spray paint. i know,i know, not supposed to do that, but i've done it many times and as long as you are careful and keep it light, your good to go. Anyway, anyone who has looked at it thought i re-tolexed everything, so i consider it a job well done. Thanks everyone for the comments.

Matt

• Members

its actually automotive Vinyl Dye. it comes in what look like regualr spray cans, but it soaks into the tolex and dries extremely quick. With the grill cloth, i used very light dustings of flat black spray paint. i know,i know, not supposed to do that, but i've done it many times and as long as you are careful and keep it light, your good to go. Anyway, anyone who has looked at it thought i re-tolexed everything, so i consider it a job well done. Thanks everyone for the comments.

Matt

excellent!, I may try a dark purple for mine ....any brand you could mention would help/thanks

• Members

I had an amp do certain things like that with popping and what not. I took to the shop and they had to replace some resistors that where going bad. I would definatly get it in to the shop soon. I didn't and replaced the tubes and had the resistors finally go and blew a couple tubes and everything. Take it in. its definatly worth it.

Matt

I

• Members
Hey guys today I tried for the first time my rivera k-tre..

Before playing i read the manual on the official site and i made the various cable connections..but when i turn on the stand-by switch the amp makes some pops for about 5 seconds and there is a last pop after about 35 seconds...and then everything's normal...i wanted to know if this is normal and if your k-tre does the same..

here's a video of this pops :
View My Video

I plugged a speaker cable into the speaker 1 output and the input jack in the speaker cabinet with 8 ohm..(both "the use first" speakers)

dsc02437rv0.jpg

help me please!!!
:cry:

I'm not sure exactly what the issue is with your K Tre'. Mine switches channels without a pop. My first instinct is also a bad tube somewhere?

I really like the K Tre'. I was wondering what speakers people use and if anyone has a good experience with the Tre and Celestions other than V30's, as well as with speakers other than Celestions?

• Members

It seems that the tubes are well tight in their place..even if i don't have any experience with tubes..it seems they're ok looking at them..
I asked to the italian importator and he told me that those pops aren't normal and told me to send back the amp for the repair but damn it ..I want a new one!!I don't want a new amp already broken and I've waited for 5 months!
I only hope that I don't have to wait so much time to have another K tre coz i live in Italy!!
i'M wondering if i have made the right connections..
look at this: dsc02451ol5.th.jpg

• Members
It seems that the tubes are well tight in their place..even if i don't have any experience with tubes..it seems they're ok looking at them..

I asked to the italian importator and he told me that those pops aren't normal and told me to send back the amp for the repair but damn it ..I want a new one!!I don't want a new amp already broken and I've waited for 5 months!

I only hope that I don't have to wait so much time to have another K tre coz i live in Italy!!

look at this:
dsc02451ol5.th.jpg

That looks right. 8 Ohm cab, head set to 8 Ohm, yur using the right jacks.

Do you have to send it all the way back to Rivera to get it checked out? It still sounds like something simple to fix. Can't you take it to an amp tech locally, or are you worried about voiding your warranty?

Maybe you have a microphonic tube? Have you tried the old hitting each tube with a pencil trick to see if you can illicite the problematic sound yourself?

• Members

look at this:
dsc02451ol5.th.jpg

Rivera has a dealer in Italy.

BACKLINE S.R.L.
Via Dell Aprica 16
20158 Milano
T: 39-02-69015709
F: 39-02-69015645

I'm almost positive authorized dealers are required to offer customers authorized repair services. At least call and find out.

• Members
Thought you guys would like to take a look see. I got a little crazy with my rig a couple weeks a go and my Rivera Knucklehead went

from this:

rivera.jpg

To This:

ampfront.jpg
ampandcabfar.jpg
ampside.jpg

Just a couple nights with attention to detail and it was done.

Hope yall like.

Matt

What color tolex is that? Ive got some garnet on the way for my M60

• Members
What color tolex is that? Ive got some garnet on the way for my M60

I think I will call it Woodshire Burgandy. :thu:

It started out black, but with a trip to Autozone and a bottle of burgandy Vinyl Dye and about two hours, she was Woodshire Burgandy. Its easy and fun.

Good Luck with the m60. :thu:

Matt

• Members

How do yo uguys gig with a Rivera? I played a few today but found them as loud if not louder than my VHT I used to own. I ended up selling the VHT because I couldn't make use of the volume. They want to be cranked!

Maybe using an attenuator?

Maybe that is why so many buy Marshall, Peavey and Mesa Boogie. I seem to be able to play those at lower volumes for sure.

What about using the effects loop? Use the loop volumes to adjust to control volume? I hear guys doing this.

• Members

How do yo uguys gig with a Rivera? I played a few today but found them as loud if not louder than my VHT I used to own. I ended up selling the VHT because I couldn't make use of the volume. They want to be cranked!

Maybe using an attenuator?

Maybe that is why so many buy Marshall, Peavey and Mesa Boogie. I seem to be able to play those at lower volumes for sure.

What about using the effects loop? Use the loop volumes to adjust to control volume? I hear guys doing this.

The Tre is ungodly loud. Tried it in the store yesterday. 2 on the master is where it starts to open up, 3 and upwards is where it really wants to be. Even in a place where people are supposed to appreciate that sort of butt-kickin' whomp, they didn't, well, appreciate it very much. (Can't say I blame them, it brought business to an absolute halt). The loop can be used to tame it down, but it's a bit of a trade off. Doesn't hurt the tone per se, but you lose the RAWK! factor once the volume drops. But that's going to be the case for any amp, really. Using the loop beats the snot out of turning down the Master, that's for sure.

• Members
I think I will call it Woodshire Burgandy.
:thu:

It started out black, but with a trip to Autozone and a bottle of burgandy Vinyl Dye and about two hours, she was Woodshire Burgandy. Its easy and fun.

Good Luck with the m60.

Matt

I'll post when I get it done. Hopefully I get the darn stuff soon.

• Members

Okay, so I know I want that thick british type tone. Currently my main amp is a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade because I wanted an all in one amp for low, moderate and high volumes with little other gear to haul around. I works well for gigs so i have little to complain about.

However, I have extra cash for an all tube head and as I said I like it thick and warm. I was looking at the Marshall DSL and TSL but the Riveras are so reasonable used. Why would an amp built this well be cheaper than a Marshall DSL used? I am referring to the Knucklehead 100.

I am looking at the K-100 and will have to use the loop trick. I am willing to do that because I like the best tone possible without taking heads off with volume.

With this trick, what is the trade off? Less push, etc? Can you really push the master up to say, 3 and then attenuate with the loop? No harm?

Also, I guess with this trick, I would have to run my dealy up front! I only use delay for leads and the rare clean part - usually my clean just has some modest chorus.

What about a boost pedal for leads? I like added mids and volume for leads.

Thanks!

• Members

Thought everyone here in the Lounge would like to hear a great comment from my co guitarist in my band, Fate of Angels.

He recently got an endorsement with Splawn and after 8 weeks of waiting, got his very beautiful ProMod with matching cab. He was telling me the whole time how his tone is going to kill when his amp comes, and how I am going to sell my Rivera and order a Splawn, and all that blah, blah, blah. So a couple gigs and practices into him having his new amp, he comes up to me all sullen after a gig while we are loading the trailer and he says, " Man, i can't believe it, but i am still so jealous of your tone. Never sell that thing. Its amazing."

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!
:thu: :thu: :thu:

Matt

• Members
Thought everyone here in the Lounge would like to hear a great comment from my co guitarist in my band, Fate of Angels.

He recently got an endorsement with Splawn and after 8 weeks of waiting, got his very beautiful ProMod with matching cab. He was telling me the whole time how his tone is going to kill when his amp comes, and how I am going to sell my Rivera and order a Splawn, and all that blah, blah, blah. So a couple gigs and practices into him having his new amp, he comes up to me all sullen after a gig while we are loading the trailer and he says, " Man, i can't believe it, but i am still so jealous of your tone. Never sell that thing. Its amazing."

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

Very cool my friend. And what is the exact model you have? The older K-100?

Do you have issues with it being to loud and hard to control?

• Members

Very cool my friend. And what is the exact model you have? The older K-100?

Do you have issues with it being to loud and hard to control?

Its never out of control. I use mine live two to five time a week and its always been there for me. It is the older k-100 with the gain and depth mod. it rips. My other guitarist went from a TSL 100 to the Splawn to compete tone wise and still is coming up wanting. Just my two cents. I am getting a JCM 800 because i love that tone, but for all around use, the Rivera pwns.

I was just reading your post over on TGP and i can tell you that you will not be dissapointed. Just make sure you retube. That made the world of difference for me.

Good Luck

Matt

• Members

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

Wow, that's the first time I have heard that.
I went the exact opposite way. I had a KHR100 w/ EL34's and it was a good amp but the muddy/harsh character of the amp always bothered me. I tried everything possible (and spent alot of money) to try and tame that harshness and I finally gave up after 2 years of fighting with it.

I heard about Splawn, did alot of research and ended up trading my KHR for someon'es used Splawn Pro Mod. I don't regret it one bit. No more harsh and muddy distortion. In fact the Splawn is the most articulate and clear gain I have ever heard. I was looking for a hot rodded Marshall tone and I found everything I wanted in the Splawn. Actually, I miss the clean of the Rivera sometimes but I play rock and don't use clean very much.

Maybe your bandmate just needs some time with the Splawn becauseit is so articulate and unforgiving. It may come off as a little "stiff" sounding at first but once you get used to its unforgiving nature it is one of the best hot-rodded Marshall tones out there, IMHO.To each his own though.

On the contrary I have heard the older K-100's sound a little smoother so maybe there is a big difference between yours and my old one. I still have my M60 combo though and it rocks.

So how do you get endorsed by Splawn? I thought he didn't do that. That's pretty cool if he did.

• Members

So how do you get endorsed by Splawn? I thought he didn't do that. That's pretty cool if he did.

Our manager hooked us up with it. Apparently he only works with certain bands, and its artist pricing, not free by any means. But its a good partnership. Scott is a stand up guy. I'm definatly going to order a cab her soon. The workmanship is top notch. As for the amps though, the ProMod that Josh (other bandmate) has and the couple quickrods i've heard were great, but just not my cup of tea. I doubt i will ever be in the mood for one.

Plus i like how the Rivera and the Splawn blend live. Its extremely huge sounding out front without being fizzy or muddy. Tons of clarity. I've never really been up for the twin guitarists with twin rigs type thing.

Just my thoughts.

Matt

• Members
Our manager hooked us up with it. Apparently he only works with certain bands, and its artist pricing, not free by any means. But its a good partnership. Scott is a stand up guy. I'm definatly going to order a cab her soon. The workmanship is top notch. As for the amps though, the ProMod that Josh (other bandmate) has and the couple quickrods i've heard were great, but just not my cup of tea. I doubt i will ever be in the mood for one.

Plus i like how the Rivera and the Splawn blend live. Its extremely huge sounding out front without being fizzy or muddy. Tons of clarity. I've never really been up for the twin guitarists with twin rigs type thing.

Just my thoughts.

Matt

I completely agree and I think the Rivera + Splawn combo would mix exceptionally well. A dark low mid amp like Rivera and a brighter high mid like the Splawn probably sounds great.

Scott is one the best in the amp buisness to deal with. That's cool that he offers artist pricing. I see you guys are a Christian band so that makes sense why he would offer to sponsor him. It seems that all the bands he does offer that to are Christian. I guess that means no artist pricing for me because I play for the other team. :(:D

Archived