The Rivera Lounge - Welcome in!

Dave L

• Members

:thu: Hi Everyone,I'm a newbie to the lounge,I asked a local "amp tech" for a decent set of 12ax7 or ec33 tubes for a good High Gain /smooth distortion tone in the preamp secton,this is my FIRST Rivera,I wish I wouldn't have waited so long! It sounded good as it was,but the guy had every pre-amp-power tube driver,DIFFERENT! groove tubes,electro harmonix,mesa,etc. and one 12 ax7b,two 12ax7 ,and other assorted,can't remember offhand. I don't know if it was method to madness,or just run what he brung,it sounded ok,but I KNEW it could be BETTER without going fot the power tube changes,Re-Biasing,always was told,go for the EASY stuff first! ANYAY the guy hands me FOUR-told him I needed 5,possibly 1 CLEAN type 12ax7 in case one was used as an FX loop buffer-I had no schematics to go by,so I did the best I could.,handed me a bunch of generic chinese 12ax7 b's! sounded a bit better actually,but still NOT THERE YET!

Any Recommendations would be great. I mentioned Queensryche as far as guitar tone,to give an idea of what I like,not the gritty,muddy,inarticulate sounds of distortion,but,smooth,yet MEAN,good sustain,controllable harmonics/feedback,etc,.. I know Michael Wilton and Chris DeGarmo used alot of solid stae gear in their bag o' tricks also,so Ialready know that,I just want a GOOD BASE to start from,if that makes sense.

Thanks much in ADVANCE,THIS IS A GREAT "CLUB",PLEASE COUNT ME IN!!.

Take Care,STAY WARM!!

Bob

Clifton,NJ:wave:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi:wave:

I've got a ruby red Rivera Quiana 2x12 combo that I drag around to the places where a head & 4x12 won't fit.

I prefer the halfstack sound, but I always get compliments on my tone from folks when I use the Rivera. :freak:

Recently, I ordered a Hellatone30 & added it to the amp. The V30 plus the H30 sound great together.

• Members

Hi:wave:

I've got a ruby red Rivera Quiana 2x12 combo that I drag around to the places where a head & 4x12 won't fit.

I prefer the halfstack sound, but I always get compliments on my tone from folks when I use the Rivera.
:freak:
Recently, I ordered a Hellatone30 & added it to the amp. The V30 plus the H30 sound great together.

I

Guest Anonymous

I've got a baby brother to what some of you Rivera heads play through ~ a Chubster 40. Crunchy Marshall-like tones on Channel 1 and sparkling Fender-like cleans on Channel 2 pour out of the Celestion G12P-80 speaker. I am extremely pleased with this 45-pounder. Met Paul Sr. and Paul Jr. in late September when they were in the process of moving from their Arleta facility to their new digs in Sun Valley. They're both kick-back dudes. Man, where would Fender be today had it not been for Paul Sr., who headed up amp research and design for them in the early 80's? Both of them sure are tall guys!

RiveraChubster40.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

(Here I am with the brains behind it all.)

IMG_0736.jpg

(Here are Paul, Jr. and Rich, the head customer service rep. I can't say enough good things about the three of them ~ simply wonderful folks, really.)

• Members

Hello everyone, :wave:

I love my amp (K55) and cab (K412t 16 ohm mono) but sometimes I wonder if I should replace a couple of the four v30s with g12h30s.. Is it better to have the speakers in a so called x pattern? ..and is it better to combine celestion v30's with the celestion g12h30 or with some other manufacturer's loudspeakers that sound close to g12h30?

Or do you think it's just pure blashphemy to change what's inside a Rivera cab :D

I mainly use my Washburn N4 guitar with the bill lawrence l-500-xl pup on the bridge and a S.D. '59 on the neck and I have to keep the treble, middle and presence relatively low (2-3 on the overdrive channel) so that the sound does not get too shrill (I'm not sure if that's the right word but..)

I do like the character of Rivera sound I just want to make it a bit better than it is now.

• Members

Hey all .

Im currently looking for a new amp and the Rivera K55 or KHR have caught my attention .

The clip from YOu tube tha Noak posted is awesome .Most youtube vids sound terrible but that was amazing.

Noak, If you read this what was the settings gain,mid,treb, ill guess boost was on from the led lit.

Again what a wicked Snarl on the rythm chords and sing to the leads.

do you have any other clips .anything like a lynch or Scorps chug ?

How is the definitions in high gain for rythm .

Thanks Man !!!!

Cheers!!!!:thu:

• Members

I've been using Rivera's for about 4 years now. :wave:

Here is my M60-112 that I got off ebay. It was my first Rivera and I serached for one after hearing a local cover band using one. It was the best blues/rock tone I heard live! A great amp and I will never get rid of it. It is my main amp for practicing/jams with friends/small gigs.

img0224ia1.jpg

I also was lucky enough to find a K312 cab at GC used for a good price. It has the 2-V30's and the 300W powered sub. :love:

I use it in our bands practice space. I would love to use it for gigs but it adds about 15 minutes to my set up time which is no good for the multiband shows I usually play.

Here's a pic of it with my Sunn Concert Lead and Splawn Pro Mod (main gigging amp).

img0311cw7.jpg

• Members

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long the cable is on a FS-7 footswitch? My Knucklehead hasn't come in yet, and I need to know if i need an extension cable made for it. Which leads me to my other question, are there pre-made extension cables for the footswitch out there some where?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

• Members

I bought a Knucklehead k-100 with gain mod about a month ago & was disappointed in it at bedroom volumes. I alomst sold it, but then when I cranked to 2+ OMG it opened up & I loved it. It is a friggin' incredible amp once you open it up. It definitely performs as advertised...Fender cleans & Marshall Plexi to JCM800 on on steroids & beyond. It's got to be one of the best amps I've ever owned. It's got versatility & tone throughout!

Funny story:

As I mentioned I was disappointed at first (I had only played it at relatively low volumes) so i put it up for sale & somebody came by to check it out. In demo'ing it I cranked it a little & it sounded incredible. I realized I was making a hugh mistake selling it as the guy was standing there. I did & said everything I could think of to talk him out of wanting to buy it. I tried to make it sound bad, but it wouldn't cooperate. I finally appologized & gave the dude $20 for his trouble, time & gas & I said sorry, forgot how good this thing sounds I just can't sell it. I felt bad, but I'd rather feel bad & keep this incredible amp. I promtly removed all for sale adds & I've been playing it at 2+ (LOUD) ever since. I don't play out these days so I rarely have a need to play loud. But now I have an excuse to play loud...Rivera Tone...Love it!

• Members

Not the best shot of my 1992 M60 combo and C212 cab. (I actually took this to show my new 335 to someone.:D )

The combo has the original G85 and I put a set of Hellatones (G30 and V30) in the cab. l get some nice variety with this set of speakers, and if I don't need a cab when I play out, I don't have to lug it around. I like the G85 for cleans and the Hellatones have tons of crunch. I can practice with some really nice tone without running the family out of the house by cutting the power to 15 watts and using the patch cord/effects loop trick.

When I think I might have spent $2K+ for a newer system with less flexibility or that does just one thing well, I just smile. This rig has incredible tone and cost me about $600 for the amp and less than $400 for the cab & speakers. (That's how I afforded the 335.)

Overall, I'm extremely happy with this setup.

Angus

• Members

RichS,

Did you try the 50% power switch .

Also im thinking of the KHR 55 im thinking it might do better a lower volume.

I need something that can do low vol and stage I know there are half power switches that apprently darken the tone and work great .

• Members

I bought a Knucklehead k-100 with gain mod about a month ago & was disappointed in it at bedroom volumes. I alomst sold it, but then when I cranked to 2+ OMG it opened up & I loved it. It is a friggin' incredible amp once you open it up. It definitely performs as advertised...Fender cleans & Marshall Plexi to JCM800 on on steroids & beyond. It's got to be one of the best amps I've ever owned. It's got versatility & tone throughout!

Funny story:

As I mentioned I was disappointed at first (I had only played it at relatively low volumes) so i put it up for sale & somebody came by to check it out. In demo'ing it I cranked it a little & it sounded incredible. I realized I was making a hugh mistake selling it as the guy was standing there. I did & said everything I could think of to talk him out of wanting to buy it. I tried to make it sound bad, but it wouldn't cooperate. I finally appologized & gave the dude $20 for his trouble, time & gas & I said sorry, forgot how good this thing sounds I just can't sell it. I felt bad, but I'd rather feel bad & keep this incredible amp. I promtly removed all for sale adds & I've been playing it at 2+ (LOUD) ever since. I don't play out these days so I rarely have a need to play loud. But now I have an excuse to play loud...Rivera Tone...Love it!

This is no joke! I played my Ktre at bedroom volumes and it sounds thin and buzzy. Then when I crank it to 2 1/2 or 3 it becomes a fire-breathing beast from HELL:evil:

You can't play a Rivera low, it has to be cranked:thu:

• Members

You can't play a Rivera low, it has to be cranked:thu:

Hmmm . . . not with all Riveras. Given that anything probably sounds better cranked, I would agree. But on my M60, dialing in low output and triode mode and using a patchcord on the effects loop yields great tone at practice levels.

Angus

Archived