The Rivera Lounge - Welcome in!

Dave L

• Members
I can tell you that my older K100 completely pwns the Knucklehead II's. I worked for a couple hours with one at a store in Omaha and couldn't for the life of me get it to sound great. The Tre was a monster, but almost to much metal for me.

As for the KH100 (non-reverb) vs. KHR100 (reverb), to me, it seems as if the mid to late 90's KH100 are a ton smoother and way more versatile. I love having four distinct sounds to choose from with clena, clean + ninja boost, Overdrive, Overdrive + boost. It really does anything i want it to. Plus, a delay in the loop for me took away the need for true reverb. But i'm more of a delay nut anyways.

Happy New Avatar Day DonaldDemon:thu:
:thu:

Matt

How do I know if mine is from the mid to late 90s? Is that just for the newer Knucklheads? An odd thing is that mine has a burgundy front, not black.

I saw your pictures and it looks like I have the same heading coming this week that you have. Will it do heavy and hard rock? Maybe even metal? I heard it is better for clean and classic rock. I heard some clips of the KH100 Reverb and it sounded mean but kind of rectifier-ish.

One nice thing about the newer Riveras is the HeadMaster floorboard and midi.

If the K-100 does not work for me, I'll bee loking into a Mesa Mark IV or Bogner Shiva.

This is the one I bought....look different?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320107535290&rd=1&rd=1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I think in that pic what you see is a DSL50 which I no longer have. But live I use the K-Tre with a Mesa Recto 4x12 w/ V30s and at home I have a Marshall 4x12 with GT12-75s and V30 in a x-pattern that I primarily use. I have some 2x12s but I've grown used to the 4x12 even at home at lower volumes!

I've only used the K-Tre with either the GT12-75s or V30s and it works fine with both...

i also use the k-tre, just got it last sunday and i love it, my first tube amp and i'll keep it for ever. anyway how is the g12-75 and vintage 30 x combo i've really considered it, how's the sound?:freak:

• Members

hi guys, this is a question from the old old Rivera board but I can't remember
what they told me !

My R55's "Marshally" channel 1, in tone and spirit,

which Marshall model/era would you say its closest to ???

THANKS ! :)

• Members

I've been gigging an R-55 for a few years now....and I just scored an older Knucklehead off the 'bay a couple weeks ago. WHAT A BEAST!!!! I gigged it for the first time last Saturday night and you can call me impressed. I can bury ANY drummer with that and a couple 1960 cabs!!!!

• Members

So I'm about to get out of the Rivera club. I just agreed to sell my M60 112 for $500.00cad. I know I must be crazy, but I need to get a smaller amp. I love this amp but its just got too much firepower.

• Members

So I'm about to get out of the Rivera club. I just agreed to sell my M60 112 for $500.00cad. I know I must be crazy, but I need to get a smaller amp. I love this amp but its just got too much firepower.

:(

atleast you know they're out there if you need the firepower back someday!

• Members

That's the same amp I have. You say its too big for you? I guess its small compared to my 2 halfstacks. :) I don't think I'll ever sell my M60 because it gets so many different tones. Its the amp I've owned the longest. :thu:

• Members

That's the same amp I have. You say its too big for you? I guess its small compared to my 2 halfstacks.
:)
I don't think I'll ever sell my M60 because it gets so many different tones. Its the amp I've owned the longest.

Well I only play at home so basically its just a practice amp. Its a great amp but too loud for my place and I cant do the effects loop trick because the loop doesnt work. Also the thing rattles a little and I suspect it may need a new speaker.

• Members

Can these older Riveras do heavy rock and metal? At least in Marshall DSL territory?

Well.... yeah, it's made for that.....I play Tool, Audioslave, Metallica covers in my band and the amp(K100) is perfect for those styles. I play it pretty loud though, we've got a heavy hitter on drums.

• Members

Well I only play at home so basically its just a practice amp. Its a great amp but too loud for my place and I can't do the effects loop trick because the loop doesnt work. Also the thing rattles a little and I suspect it may need a new speaker.

I'd fix the loop and swap the speaker or get a 2X12 cab. On my M60, I use the loop with a couple Hellatones (V30 & V75) in a slant cab and it's great at practice levels. Cleans are simply fantastic and channel 1 rocks plenty hard, but at volumes I can live with.

Angus

• Members

Well I only play at home so basically its just a practice amp. Its a great amp but too loud for my place and I cant do the effects loop trick because the loop doesnt work. Also the thing rattles a little and I suspect it may need a new speaker.

I was just going to suggest the loop trick until I read the 2nd sentence. I really only use mine for home in my apartment and I just started the loop trick. It works great. I use delay in the loop anyway so it's always on. I would say get the loop fixed if you can because its a great amp. I could probably use a new speaker too but for home jamming its good enough for me.

• Members

No CLIPS!?!?!

Funny you mention that, I was just going to post this.

After I saw some dude's clip that he made with his digital camera it dawned on me...my camera does video too! I have a medium-priced camera that records for 3 minutes so I did a test clip real fast to a funky blues jam track.

Let me know how the clip sounds because I want to try and make asome more. If the camera clip sounds like crap than I probably won't go through the trouble of recording my other amps.

Oh, and I know I messed up on the playing here and there. I did it in one take and was just wanking. I used my Strat w/ WCR SR set pup's into Keeley/Vox, stock TS-9, and Ibanez DE-7 delay in the loop of my Rivera M60-112 combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wYGNH2njgg

• Members
You should really just send it to Rivera to work on.

It's on it's way.
I lost most of the gain on channel one and a {censored} load of volume on channel two, which I assume is just the loss of a preamp tube, but this is the 4th preamp tube that's gone south on me in the past year. Hopefully the guys at Rivera will fix it right and not charge an arm and a leg to do so.

I took it to a Rivera dealer in the hopes that their tech could get it fixed for me in a week since I have a show this weekend, but he said he wouldn't even look at it because the K100 is "a hard amp to service." :confused: That's actually the second time I've heard that from a tech.

I swear if this amp comes back with problems I'm getting rid of it. I tone I get (especially the clean) but I just can't handle all the repair it's needed.

• Members

Well it's only a couple of days till I'm supposed to sell my M60, but I'm really starting to get cold feet. I think I might heed the advice of donalddemon in his previous post and see if my local music shop can have a look at the thing and get the fx loop fixed. Also theres a guy here looking to sell his POD PROxt with footswitch for only 350.00cad, I bet with that running in the fx loop I could get some decent heavy tones at practice levels.

• Members

Well it's only a couple of days till I'm supposed to sell my M60, but I'm really starting to get cold feet. I think I might heed the advice of donalddemon in his previous post and see if my local music shop can have a look at the thing and get the fx loop fixed. Also theres a guy here looking to sell his POD PROxt with footswitch for only 350.00cad, I bet with that running in the fx loop I could get some decent heavy tones at practice levels.

I have a PODxt but never tried running it in the loop of the M60. Using the loop trick and a good boost you can get good heavy tones. I keep the gain on 7-8 and use a TS-9 with the gain about 11 o'clock to get a nice heavy tone.

• Members

Funny you mention that, I was just going to post this.

After I saw some dude's clip that he made with his digital camera it dawned on me...my camera does video too! I have a medium-priced camera that records for 3 minutes so I did a test clip real fast to a funky blues jam track.

Let me know how the clip sounds because I want to try and make asome more. If the camera clip sounds like crap than I probably won't go through the trouble of recording my other amps.

Oh, and I know I messed up on the playing here and there. I did it in one take and was just wanking. I used my Strat w/ WCR SR set pup's into Keeley/Vox, stock TS-9, and Ibanez DE-7 delay in the loop of my Rivera M60-112 combo.

I think it sounds very good! I am liking the K-100 initially but still have to determine the best EQ, set up, etc.

I know I will need some boost for leads but I prefer to leave the amps gain all natural for heavy rhythms.....just kick in a boost/distortion pedal for leads. However, I prefer a pedal that also provides added mids or a voice/EQ knob.

• Members

Don't do it I run a dbx rack eq in the loop and it has a +/-12db button that I engage with the mids scooped for a heavy thudding high gain sound. I can run it loud or as quiet as I want.

• Members

..and.........

.........and.........

the EQ pedal in my loop (MXR 10-band M108) gave me the confidence to take the OD pedal off my board probably forever.

I was able to hear my sustain and clarity were not helped by an OD, but by shaping with EQ before/after? the poweramp. No need for pickup or speaker changes either.

• Members

Well I played around with my amp tonight and theres no doubt in my mind that this things got some issues and needs to be looked at by a pro.Its got this F'n rattle that driving me crazy and I'm sure theres something off with this speaker. All this said I'm not going to sell it, and I'll probably still try to buy the pod proxt because I'm sick with the G.A.S. and it's a good deal.

• Members

Well I played around with my amp tonight and theres no doubt in my mind that this things got some issues and needs to be looked at by a pro.Its got this F'n rattle that driving me crazy and I'm sure theres something off with this speaker. All this said I'm not going to sell it, and I'll probably still try to buy the pod proxt because I'm sick with the G.A.S. and it's a good deal.

Just fyi - my r55 was about 12 yrs old when I bought it and when it was in combo form, I too had what I though was a rattle but turned out to be a problem with the "star ground". Sort of a static-y scratchy sound when any sort of low end was going. THe tech fixed it real quick. (eventually I converted it into a head anyways)...... But "star ground" , thats something to ask about. My tech told me that after 12 yrs. and who knows what type of treatment it had, that those solders could well have become weak

• Members

Hi all:

First post! I am a happy Rivera owner. I have a BM60-212. Bought it used in great condition. I also had a R55-112 before that. Loved both, but I had no use for the R55 so I sold it to a friend of mine, who also loved it.

Ed

Archived