The Rivera Lounge - Welcome in!

Dave L

• Members

Thanks!, I really like the K-100 and it does go from great cleans to hot rodded smooth Marshall tones...it can get mean. This K-100 was made in 1998.

Looks like the Fandango has the aggressive lead of the Knucklehead reverb with the classic cleans. However, only a combo.

Funny you mention the newer designs as more open and organic. I often hear the opposite as the older ones having the organic tones and the newer ones being more fizzy and modern. I need to go find a Tre to play. I wish I could find good clips. I would probably want 6L6s since I already have an EL34 Rivera.

The Reverb model has the midi and headmaster? Is the Tre more simple and straight forward? 3 channels? I know the Knucklhead II was two channels and aggressive but Rivera told me that amp is really picky when it comes to guitars and pickups!

I am not sure I want all the midi, assignable loops a lot of amps have. These days I am enjoying just playing and having options within a two channel head. This way I just need a boost and some effects right in front of me. I think the Tre is more like this. maybe I can find one used this summer for around $1000 or so.

Other amps under consideration are the Marshall JVM (even though I said I was looking away from all those functions and midi but I go back and forth!), Framus Cobra, Peavey 5150, H&K Triamp, Mesa Boogie Mark IV.

Glad to help out. When I say more organic, I mean having a bigger sound, easier to dial in, and more dynamic. This tendency, to me, started with the R-Series. Many of the subsequent Riveras (K-55, K-100, Jake/Rake, Quiana, Fandango, etc.) are based on the R-series and so share those traits. When people say the Knucklehead Reverb is buzzy, they probably aren't turning it up to loud. I run mine in vintage mode on low power for 8 watts and it sounds very vintage, smooth and not buzzy!!

However, I can relate to your wanting a more simple 2-channel amp; I have considered this myself but have decided to stick with my KR55 since I have it dialed in.

Here are a couple of possible solutions:

1. Keep your K-100 and get a pedal for the agressive sounds and more over-the-top gain.

2. Get a Fandango or Quiana head - yes they are available this way.

3. The K-Tre is also a possibility. Yes, it is a bit simpler. It has 2 channels but it has an assignable FX loop. It is not MIDI controllable. You could use a pedal(s) into the clean channel for a variety of lower gain sounds and then use the distortion channel on the K-Tre for the aggressive stuff. This would be a very versatile setup.

By the way, I find the video clips at Rivera.com to pretty accurately reflect the differences between the various models.

Whatever you do, I suggest trying as hard as possible to play a few amps you are considering. That will usually help you make the decision pretty quickly.

Terry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

.............Glad to help out. When I say more organic, I mean having a bigger sound, easier to dial in, and more dynamic. This tendency, to me, started with the R-Series. will usually help you make the decision pretty .................

Terry

wow so my 1993 R 55 is pretty cool then !

• Members

wow so my 1993 R 55 is pretty cool then !

As long as you like it, that is what matters, however, I loved mine!!

In fact, every R-Series amp I played through was a winner. I got my R55 so that I wouldn't always have to carry around my heavy S120 setup. It didn't take long for me to start to prefer the R55. I just thought it sounded more alive, bigger, dynamic (it responded to touch and volume adjustments so much better than the S120). Of course this was strange since the R55 was a 1x12 and cost so much less than the S120 which was also a 2x12!! But my ears didn't lie.

Terry

• Members

Glad to help out. When I say more organic, I mean having a bigger sound, easier to dial in, and more dynamic. This tendency, to me, started with the R-Series. Many of the subsequent Riveras (K-55, K-100, Jake/Rake, Quiana, Fandango, etc.) are based on the R-series and so share those traits. When people say the Knucklehead Reverb is buzzy, they probably aren't turning it up to loud. I run mine in vintage mode on low power for 8 watts and it sounds very vintage, smooth and not buzzy!!

However, I can relate to your wanting a more simple 2-channel amp; I have considered this myself but have decided to stick with my KR55 since I have it dialed in.

Here are a couple of possible solutions:

1. Keep your K-100 and get a pedal for the agressive sounds and more over-the-top gain.

2. Get a Fandango or Quiana head - yes they are available this way.

3. The K-Tre is also a possibility. Yes, it is a bit simpler. It has 2 channels but it has an assignable FX loop. It is not MIDI controllable. You could use a pedal(s) into the clean channel for a variety of lower gain sounds and then use the distortion channel on the K-Tre for the aggressive stuff. This would be a very versatile setup.

By the way, I find the video clips at Rivera.com to pretty accurately reflect the differences between the various models.

Whatever you do, I suggest trying as hard as possible to play a few amps you are considering. That will usually help you make the decision pretty quickly.

Terry

One great thing about Riveras is the Effects loop trick!

If the TRE has the Ninja boost on clean and the Boost on the high gain channel - it should be plenty versatile.

I also want to check out a Framus Cobra and some others.

For Ronnie,

How do you tweak the lead on the TRE to be so smooth and retain a good chunky rhythm?

• Members

..and.........

.........and.........

the EQ pedal in my loop (MXR 10-band M108) gave me the confidence to take the OD pedal off my board probably forever.

I was able to hear my sustain and clarity were not helped by an OD, but by shaping with EQ before/after? the poweramp. No need for pickup or speaker changes either.

Well I went to about 5 music stores on my little vacation and the only MXR eq i could find was the Kerry King model for 200.00cad which seemed a little on the pricey side, so I didn't bite. Also in one of my earlier posts I mentioned a killer deal on a pod proxt, while it turns out the guy got it wrong in his advertisement it was an older pod, so I didn't buy that either. I did however buy a Peavey envoy 110 for a practice amp and to hold me over while my M60 is gets fixed.

Thanks to everyone here for the great advice, and hopefully I'll be back at the Rivera party sooner rather than later.

• Members

The EQ was suggested as a solution for getting good hard rock tones at lower volumes. Like I said in previous posts though this amp does have some issues and will be going in for service/repair.

I should ask you fellas if any of you have experience with the EV speaker that came stock in some of these amps. From the info I've gathered on one website it seems this speaker was more or less intended as a jazz/clean speaker.

• Members
Why do you need an external EQ? I have been playing for 20 years and never used an EQ with an amp......if I don't like the stock tone/EQ of the amp, I move on.
:thu:
One less thing to carry around!
:)

+1
I wish took this advice when I had my KHR100. It was after I bought an ART half-rack parametric EQ to put in the loop that I realized I needed to sell the amp and move on to something different. EQ'a are good for boosting but if you are trying to change the amp's tone chances are you need to get a different amp.

• Members

The EQ was suggested as a solution for getting good hard rock tones at lower volumes. Like I said in previous posts though this amp does have some issues and will be going in for service/repair.

I should ask you fellas if any of you have experience with the EV speaker that came stock in some of these amps. From the info I've gathered on one website it seems this speaker was more or less intended as a jazz/clean speaker.

I believe mine has the EV speaker but I'm not sure. It's an all black magnet with no label. The speaker doesn't sound bad in any way but I have a feeling it would sound better with an Eminence or Celestion.

• Members

Hi,

I guess I like Rivera amps as I currently own 4 of them, all pretty much R series architecture. I gig with the amps, so I get to turn em up a bit, which to me is where they shine. I prefer an attenuator to the effects loop method of controlling volume as I like the sound of output tubes really cooking.

All of these amps are from the early to mid 90's.. I have an R55 (with a Emi Gov speaker and Winged C El34s), a Suprema (with RI Tung Sol 5881's currently in it, the V30 is still in it), a K55 head (currently with Chinese KT66s in it, JJ KT77s are going in next) and a Rake with Winged C El34's. I like to play with tubes and am good at playing with bias and stuff like that(which helps a lot).

I'm not into high gain (i.e. the more modern tones), much more into the 70's in terms of tones. (i.e. I play a lot of led zepp and stuff like that).

Al

• Members

Hi,

I guess I like Rivera amps as I currently own 4 of them, all pretty much R series architecture. I gig with the amps, so I get to turn em up a bit, which to me is where they shine. I prefer an attenuator to the effects loop method of controlling volume as I like the sound of output tubes really cooking.

All of these amps are from the early to mid 90's.. I have an R55 (with a Emi Gov speaker and Winged C El34s), a Suprema (with RI Tung Sol 5881's currently in it, the V30 is still in it), a K55 head (currently with Chinese KT66s in it, JJ KT77s are going in next) and a Rake with Winged C El34's. I like to play with tubes and am good at playing with bias and stuff like that(which helps a lot).

I'm not into high gain (i.e. the more modern tones), much more into the 70's in terms of tones. (i.e. I play a lot of led zepp and stuff like that).

Al

So with an attenuator....the preamp section is really hitting the power tubes. You can get the power amp hot with the effects loop trick but the preamp will not hit it as hard.

• Members

My factory modded Knucklehead 100 just got here and after a new set of tubes (JJ's) and a bias, this thing is a fire breathing animal. I am so happy with it. It literally coaxes so much more from my playing. I think possibly that because of the clarity and articulation that this head has, it forces me to play better, rather than sucking like usual. Anyway, I am a very proud Rivera owner and just wanted to share some of my school girl glee.

Thanks

Matt

I have a 1998 K-100 with the factory mod as well for more base and gain.

You have the same mod?

I just installed all JJ EC83S in the preamp and like the difference! Thicker and more articulate. I might order a few JJ high gain preamp tubes because they are said to make the tone tighter and with more bite. I also have a set of JJ EL34s ready to go. Should I have gotten the E34Ls? I know they are said to be more aggressive with deeper base, but this head does have the mod.

The guy I bought the amp from said it didn't have enough gain or bottom which surprises me! It has more than enough of what is needed for even heavy rock.

What type of music you play?

Didn't you also say your buddy bought a Splawn and the Rivera sounded better?

• Members

I have a 1998 K-100 with the factory mod as well for more base and gain.

You have the same mod?

I just installed all JJ EC83S in the preamp and like the difference! Thicker and more articulate. I might order a few JJ high gain preamp tubes because they are said to make the tone tighter and with more bite. I also have a set of JJ EL34s ready to go. Should I have gotten the E34Ls? I know they are said to be more aggressive with deeper base, but this head does have the mod.

The guy I bought the amp from said it didn't have enough gain or bottom which surprises me! It has more than enough of what is needed for even heavy rock.

What type of music you play?

Didn't you also say your buddy bought a Splawn and the Rivera sounded better?

Hey dood. I've recently been playing with a mix of tungsols and JJ's in the Pre, and the results have been great. It's been awhile since i switched them around so I will look tonight and see what combo i have been using.

My buddies Splawn is getting better by the day. We have been messing with preamp tubes as well, and its starting to get a bit more warmth with still the crazy amounts of gain its always had. It really is a grat amp as well.

congrats on your Riv. Its a great amp.

Matt

• Members

Hey dood. I've recently been playing with a mix of tungsols and JJ's in the Pre, and the results have been great. It's been awhile since i switched them around so I will look tonight and see what combo i have been using.

My buddies Splawn is getting better by the day. We have been messing with preamp tubes as well, and its starting to get a bit more warmth with still the crazy amounts of gain its always had. It really is a grat amp as well.

congrats on your Riv. Its a great amp.

Matt

I read on that Rivera resource/info page you posted where the guy said to not use all JJ preamp tubes as it will be too dark. It just doesn't sound any darker to me with the JJs.....smoother and more articulate..tighter, thicker. Not necessarily darker. Is it essential to have a balanced tube in V5? I hear different stories.

You have any clips of the amp?

I wonder how mine would have sounded prior to the gain mod.

What are your power tubes???

One thing like you said is the warmth of the Rivera is great! The guy who sold it to me said it lacked gain and bottom. I think it is fine.

• Members

I read on that Rivera resource/info page you posted where the guy said to not use all JJ preamp tubes as it will be too dark. It just doesn't sound any darker to me with the JJs.....smoother and more articulate..tighter, thicker. Not necessarily darker. Is it essential to have a balanced tube in V5? I hear different stories.

You have any clips of the amp?

I wonder how mine would have sounded prior to the gain mod.

What are your power tubes???

One thing like you said is the warmth of the Rivera is great! The guy who sold it to me said it lacked gain and bottom. I think it is fine.

No clips yet. i think we are going to demo some new songs for management soon, so i should have some stuff in the next cuple weeks.

Right now, i am using a set of El34Ls for my power section. I love how they sound. I am going to try the KT77's soon as well. We will see what happens.

As for a balanced pre in V5, I guess I've always tried to make sure the tube in the Phase inverter spot is balanced.

I do love the tone of my Rivera. Its definatly more high end with tons of little nuances. it makes me sound good, so i guess thats the most important thing. I've never been into processed/ digital sounding amps with tons of fizz on them. The Riv sounds so real to my ears. Earthy is the only word that comes to mind.

matt

• Members

No clips yet. i think we are going to demo some new songs for management soon, so i should have some stuff in the next cuple weeks.

Right now, i am using a set of El34Ls for my power section. I love how they sound. I am going to try the KT77's soon as well. We will see what happens.

As for a balanced pre in V5, I guess I've always tried to make sure the tube in the Phase inverter spot is balanced.

I do love the tone of my Rivera. Its definatly more high end with tons of little nuances. it makes me sound good, so i guess thats the most important thing. I've never been into processed/ digital sounding amps with tons of fizz on them. The Riv sounds so real to my ears. Earthy is the only word that comes to mind.

matt

So you have the E34Ls.....I was told to use the EL34s. Hmmmm. I already bought the E34Ls.

I was told by a few techs that I do not need any balanced tubes. Interesting.

So you think it sound hig end as in a top shelf tube amp as in good amp or high end as in trebly? I installed JJ preamp tubes and it sounds thick and juicy....not too trebly at all.

Sounds like you have the same head as me.....mine is a 1998 with the gain mod. Some complain of a lack of gain and low end....odd...

• Members

I thikn i am going to sell mine I am sad to say! I just have a thing for H&K amps and I think I may get a Triamp. I thikn the Rivera sounds great but you know how we all have that tone we all graviate toward? Mine seems to be H&K.

• Members

Hey Rich.

If ya sell the rivera how much are ya asking ?? BTW is is the one with the Black grill cloth ..not the silver. how much does that head weigh

would a trade for the Egnater/ Vendetta head be of intrest to ya if I decided to part with it ??

• Members

Hey Rich.

If ya sell the rivera how much are ya asking ?? BTW is is the one with the Black grill cloth ..not the silver. how much does that head weigh

would a trade for the Egnater/ Vendetta head be of intrest to ya if I decided to part with it ??

I believe this one was a custom order from Rivera as it has a burgundy faceplate. Shoot me a PM!

What is the Vendetta like?

• Members

Hey PPL,

Just thought I'd update my M60 trials and tribulations.

Got my Amp back yesterday from the tech. Turns out the thing wasnt in as bad a shape as I thought. They had to replace 3 of the tubes, one of which was in the preamp section. That fixed the "rattle". Also the effects loop is functional now, although not entirely sure if its working as it should, but I'm able to regulate volume with it now. The EVM 12L speaker also tested ok, but I just bought a Celestion G12-30 off of Ebay to replace it.

I was able to play for about a half hour last night and I'm quite happy with the results. Plus they only charged me $100 including the 3 tubes they replaced.

George.

• Members

Hey PPL,

Got my Amp back yesterday from the tech. Turns out the thing wasnt in as bad a shape as I thought. They had to replace 3 of the tubes, one of which was in the preamp section. That fixed the "rattle". Also the effects loop is functional now, although not entirely sure if its working as it should, but I'm able to regulate volume with it now. The EVM 12L speaker also tested ok, but I just bought a Celestion G12-30 off of Ebay to replace it.

I was able to play for about a half hour last night and I'm quite happy with the results. Plus they only charged me $100 including the 3 tubes they replaced.

George.

Nice. Glad it worked out.

• Members

Hey PPL,

George.

Congrats.

Matt

Archived