The Rivera Lounge - Welcome in!

Dave L

• Members

..and.........

.........and.........

the EQ pedal in my loop (MXR 10-band M108) gave me the confidence to take the OD pedal off my board probably forever.

I was able to hear my sustain and clarity were not helped by an OD, but by shaping with EQ before/after? the poweramp. No need for pickup or speaker changes either.

I am going to get the M108. I need the footswitchability. I have two 15 band EQ's on the DBX but no way to control them with a footswitch.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like the K-100 but I question if I'll be able to get the heavy, heavy sounds i need for modern music. I thought of a gain boost or EQ but I do not want to have to kick that on every time I switch to heavy rhythm, then I'd have to kick in a boost for leads as well. I would rather have less pedals if possible. I want to be able to get my tone without external pedals or EQ. I would only want the pedal for kicking in leads.

I wish an amp company made an amp with a solo boost that kicked up gain, volume and mids.

• Members

If I find with the right tubes, I can still not get the K-100 heavy enough for my needs.....will the later model Knucklehead Reverbs and KH IIs do the heavy tone sand the crunch tones? I was hoping the crunch channel on the newer Riveras would still have the K-100 tones.

• Members

If I find with the right tubes, I can still not get the K-100 heavy enough for my needs.....will the later model Knucklehead Reverbs and KH IIs do the heavy tone sand the crunch tones? I was hoping the crunch channel on the newer Riveras would still have the K-100 tones.

The newer KH

• Members

Any thoughts on tubes for the K-100? Anyway to know if mine is a factory gain modded model? I was looking at JJ E34Ls or Ruby EL34s with either a mix of preamp tubes or straight JJ high gain tubes. Would I have noise issues with the high gain JJs?

Right now I have a bad stock Svetlana so I threw in a TAD EL34.

• Members

Hey there.

I was looking into either getting a rivera clubster 45, a mesa f-30, or some other amp of the sort. Anyone here used the clubster 45? Opinions? How does it take pedals?

I'm basically just trying to collect as much info on these amps as I can at the moment. Thanks a lot!

• Members

Most people I've talked to with the new models say they can be pretty fizzy and brittle and the other channels do not have the same color and smooth tone as the older models.

Heard too many bad things about the TREs and other new Knuckleheads being too buzzy, fizzy and brittle like a new rectifier.

My goal is to find an amp that can do a big, heavy modern tone, without fizz, and that can do a thick and smooth lead. The 5150II looks promising.

I had a 5150 , 5150II, Dual Recto and a VHT 50ST and in order of buzziness or fizz I'd put the Tre in the same league as the 5150's and the recto but much better than any of them when turned up. The lead tone of the Tre is as smooth as they come, Rectos and 5150's cant compete in this area, maybe rhythms, but lead is another world.

Theres videos all over of the K-Tre, some Ive put up myself as the ones on the Rivera site are not dialed in to my liking....if you dont like the general voicing of the Tre, dont even bother....but internet talk is just that, different users, applications, cabinets, etc...A few guys on here have had em & not "jelled" well with them but its the same with every amp. For the kind of money a Tre goes for though, I'd wanna try one before buying, and suggest anyone do the same.

• Members

The Tre' is a different beast completely when you compare the volume at 2 and then at four. The Tre' definitely sounds meaty when you turn it up.

I also think that more than any other amp I've played, that speaker choice is key to it sounding it's best. I've played it thru 2 Legacy 4x12's with Greenbacks, a Basson with Eminence Red White and Blues, and a Rivera cab with V30's in the store. So far, the V30's seem to be the best match.
I'm thinking of going with Orange, Avatar, or Bogner. Or even another Legacy 4x12's with V30's.

I have noticed some raspy high end too. However, one thing about the Tre' is it takes time to dial it in. You have to tweak the controls, and it takes a little time. When you get it right, it's a creamy distortion monster with excellent Rivera cleans.

• Members

I had a 5150 , 5150II, Dual Recto and a VHT 50ST and in order of buzziness or fizz I'd put the Tre in the same league as the 5150's and the recto but much better than any of them when turned up. The lead tone of the Tre is as smooth as they come, Rectos and 5150's cant compete in this area, maybe rhythms, but lead is another world.

Theres videos all over of the K-Tre, some Ive put up myself as the ones on the Rivera site are not dialed in to my liking....if you dont like the general voicing of the Tre, dont even bother....but internet talk is just that, different users, applications, cabinets, etc...A few guys on here have had em & not "jelled" well with them but its the same with every amp. For the kind of money a Tre goes for though, I'd wanna try one before buying, and suggest anyone do the same.

Thanks! have you tried the older Riveras like the K II and Knucklehead reverb?

Ever try a Laney or Engl Powerball? These are others I am researhcing.

• Members

Any thoughts on tubes for the K-100? Anyway to know if mine is a factory gain modded model? I was looking at JJ E34Ls or Ruby EL34s with either a mix of preamp tubes or straight JJ high gain tubes. Would I have noise issues with the high gain JJs?

Right now I have a bad stock Svetlana so I threw in a TAD EL34.

I can't tell you anything on these newer models but,

the RFT tube in the V1 is vital for me. I've stocked up on these a bit. In my Rivera its the only thing I'll use. In V2-v4 I use the Tung Sol reissue and in the PI and NOS Tesla E83cc.

In v2-v4, any other new production is messy and unfocused. Some may call this 'fizzy', I don't know.

• Members
I can't tell you anything on these newer models but,

the RFT tube in the V1 is vital for me. I've stocked up on these a bit. In my Rivera its the only thing I'll use. In V2-v4 I use the Tung Sol reissue and in the PI and NOS Tesla E83cc.

In v2-v4, any other new production is messy and unfocused. Some may call this 'fizzy', I don't know.

Where can i get those for my K-100? What about power amp tubes?

Also, what is the RFT tube?

Finally, you play ENGL as well? Which amp?:)

• Members
Where can i get those for my K-100? What about power amp tubes?

Also, what is the RFT tube?

Finally, you play ENGL as well? Which amp?
:)

ok sure, I always go here:
http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/
The RFT is just some old European Ecc83 but its great to me.
Power Tubes, same place.
I tried Kt77's for a week and didn't like them, went back to Winged C' EL 34s.

The Engl is just my 4x12 cab. My Rivera is an R55 I converted into a head.

• Members

ok sure, I always go here:

The RFT is just some old European Ecc83 but its great to me.

Power Tubes, same place.

I tried Kt77's for a week and didn't like them, went back to Winged C' EL 34s.

The Engl is just my 4x12 cab. My Rivera is an R55 I converted into a head.

Thanks!

I have the K-100. Can I email that place for the same tubes? Are those power amp tubes the SEDs?

• Members

Thanks!

I have the K-100. Can I email that place for the same tubes? Are those power amp tubes the SEDs?

Yes thats SED.

And just go on that site its a shopping site, you'll see everything. I think he's got some education on tubes on the site too.

• Members

Yes thats SED.

And just go on that site its a shopping site, you'll see everything. I think he's got some education on tubes on the site too.

Thanks!

real quick..what other preamp tubes did you try...JJs? what were the big difference with the ones you like?

Finally, what Engl you play?

Also, is this correct before I order...

The RFT tube Ecc83 for v1.

In V2-v4, theTung Sol reissue and also in the PI? So, the Tung Sol in all positions but the v1?

What were you saying about the and NOS Tesla E83cc.

Those are all really expensive compared to typical tubes....are they really worth the extra? Maybe just the RFT and stock for now!

• Members

Thanks!

real quick..what other preamp tubes did you try...JJs? what were the big difference with the ones you like?

Finally, what Engl you play?

Also, is this correct before I order...

The RFT tube Ecc83 for v1.

In V2-v4, theTung Sol reissue and also in the PI? So, the Tung Sol in all positions but the v1?

What were you saying about the and NOS Tesla E83cc.

Those are all really expensive compared to typical tubes....are they really worth the extra? Maybe just the RFT and stock for now!

sure,

I've never tried JJ tubes before, and my Engl as I said, is just the 4x12 cab I use.

I tested this all out with my recording rig close mice'd so I could hear what the sound guy hears. So my opinions of 'smooth' may be too flat for some people's tastes. So I don't want to totally tell you to do the same thing. !!

I've always kept the RFT in that first position, and I always use the

Marshall-y channel, never channel 2. TO me the RFT is smooth with sort of flat and liquidy distortion. I like Alex Lifeson.

In the v2-v4 I've tried EH, Chinese, Ruby 7025's ("Silver Specials") , Tung Sol Re-issue. The TungSol re-issue I found had the best clarity and had some balls to it. The other ones to my ears gave me a quacky mangey sound. I should tell you that I don't have the Channel volume (Gain) above 5 or 6 really. And my master is usually around 5 or 6.

The Tesla (not JJ) in the PI is one of those NOS E83cc's you'll see on the KCA site.

For a long time I had used the Mullard 4024, a very reasonably priced Mullard by the way.... it sort of flattened out everything to have a fairly even EQ, and for awhile I liked it. But I went back to a 12ax7 there recently. And of the different types I have on hand, the others gave me a dry and squawky sound and the the Tesla was the perfect compromise between those and the Mullard. Does this make sense.

You could go crazy mixing and matching but its fun.

• Members

Its great to see Rivera's getting so much attention and love here:thu:

I currently own a KR55 head, K212 cabinet (w/V30s) and a Quiana Studio 1x12.

In the past I have owned a Quiana 212, R55, and S120 (in both combo form and separate head/cabinet). I have also had the opportunity to play lots of different Rivera models including the Suprema, Chubster, Clubster, K100, K55, Bonehead, R30, R100, Rake, and Jake.

From the first time I played a Rivera I knew it was the right amp for me. I also have a Victoria 35310 because I love the tweed sounds. Many years later, I am still very happy with the choices I have made. I was at the NAMM show this past January and even though I heard some great-sounding amps, none of them made me want to sell my Riveras! They are great amps and everyone at Rivera is great to deal with.

Terry

• Members

Most people I've talked to with the new models say they can be pretty fizzy and brittle and the other channels do not have the same color and smooth tone as the older models.

Heard too many bad things about the TREs and other new Knuckleheads being too buzzy, fizzy and brittle like a new rectifier.

My goal is to find an amp that can do a big, heavy modern tone, without fizz, and that can do a thick and smooth lead. The 5150II looks promising.

My KR55 will get very smooth, crunchy and deliver the classic tones. I have also heard the Knucklehead 2 producing these same sounds.

Terry

• Members
Its great to see Rivera's getting so much attention and love here:thu:

I currently own a KR55 head, K212 cabinet (w/V30s) and a Quiana Studio 1x12.

In the past I have owned a Quiana 212, R55, and S120 (in both combo form and separate head/cabinet). I have also had the opportunity to play lots of different Rivera models including the Suprema, Chubster, Clubster, K100, K55, Bonehead, R30, R100, Rake, and Jake.

From the first time I played a Rivera I knew it was the right amp for me. I also have a Victoria 35310 because I love the tweed sounds. Many years later, I am still very happy with the choices I have made. I was at the NAMM show this past January and even though I heard some great-sounding amps, none of them made me want to sell my Riveras! They are great amps and everyone at Rivera is great to deal with.

Terry

Since I now apoint you a Rivera expert...:thu: ........what would you suggest as an alternative to my K-100? I was thinking of an M100(or 60), Knucklehead Reverb or something else more aggressive. What is the S120?

However, the best aggressive modern high gain tone I have heard recently are the ENGL Powerball. Although that amp and many other Engls are known to not cut live.

Thoughts?

• Members
Since I now apoint you a Rivera expert...
:thu:
........what would you suggest as an alternative to my K-100? I was thinking of an M100(or 60), Knucklehead Reverb or something else more aggressive. What is the S120?

However, the best aggressive modern high gain tone I have heard recently is the ENGL Powerball.

Thoughts?

HaHa! Well, I'm hardly an expert; I just (kind of) know what I like. My personal feeling is that the M100 or M60 won't get agressive enough. They have lots of gain but I find those amps to be in the "'80s/shred" category. The S120 is a stereo amp (2 60-watt amps in one chassis). The preamp is the same as the M100 and M60 with the addition of stereo chorus.

I tend to differ from lots of Rivera owners in that I prefer the newer designs. In my opinion, the R55 started the trend toward what we hear today which is a more open and organic sound. If I were you, I don't think I would trade a K100 for an M100/M60/S120.

However, I think you will definitely find the more modern and aggressive tones in the Knucklehead Reverb and especially the K-Tre. Once I got used to my Knucklehead Reverb I found that I got all the more modern sounds and without giving up the classic clean and crunch tones that Riveras can deliver.

If you don't need CRAZY amounts of gain and heaviness, you might consider the Quiana. Although Rivera bills that amp as being cool for classic Fender and old Marshall tones, I find the 6L6s give it a pretty modern tone when you have it gained out.

Terry

• Members

Thanks!, I really like the K-100 and it does go from great cleans to hot rodded smooth Marshall tones...it can get mean. This K-100 was made in 1998.

Looks like the Fandango has the aggressive lead of the Knucklehead reverb with the classic cleans. However, only a combo.

Funny you mention the newer designs as more open and organic. I often hear the opposite as the older ones having the organic tones and the newer ones being more fizzy and modern. I need to go find a Tre to play. I wish I could find good clips. I would probably want 6L6s since I already have an EL34 Rivera.

The Reverb model has the midi and headmaster? Is the Tre more simple and straight forward? 3 channels? I know the Knucklhead II was two channels and aggressive but Rivera told me that amp is really picky when it comes to guitars and pickups!

I am not sure I want all the midi, assignable loops a lot of amps have. These days I am enjoying just playing and having options within a two channel head. This way I just need a boost and some effects right in front of me. I think the Tre is more like this. maybe I can find one used this summer for around $1000 or so.

Other amps under consideration are the Marshall JVM (even though I said I was looking away from all those functions and midi but I go back and forth!), Framus Cobra, Peavey 5150, H&K Triamp, Mesa Boogie Mark IV.

• Members

Let me know if you find any videos of the Tre! I'd like to check some out...I see one on ebay with a terrible recordng. I'll check out yours.

The Tre has three channels? Do you use the lead channel for rhythm and lead? Any boosts? I checked your video and was wondering how you kick in your lead tone?

If I don't go Rivera, I'll look at the 5150 II, Mesa Mark IV, Framus Cobra, Laney VH100R and a few others. The Marshall JVM looks sweet.

Archived