The Rivera Lounge - Welcome in!

Dave L

• Members

i just got a 1995 k55 head and its sounding harsh it may be the speakers im using 2 mc90's in a mesa 212 vertical cab.would v30's be better im thing of using a mc90 and a g12t75.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i just got a 1995 k55 head and its sounding harsh it may be the speakers im using 2 mc90's in a mesa 212 vertical cab.would v30's be better im thing of using a mc90 and a g12t75.

I find mc90s and g12t75s can be harsh to my ears. Try some V30s. I currently use all Ear Candy cabs and speakers and it sounds fantastic.

• Members

I think im picking up a Rivera m60 head i love the tone it puts out.It has 2 JJ el34l,s and all jj preamp tubes the store is asking $495 is this a good price?? The only thing it needed was a tiny bit more gain and just little more bass ..Any suggestions or help would be great :)

• Members

Price sounds pretty decent. I paid $600 for an M60 combo in great shape with new factory tubes. I mostly use it as a head over a Rivera C212 vertical cab containing a Hellatone G12H30 and V30. Speakers DO make a difference with these. The original G12T85 in the combo sounds good, but the cab with Hellatones sounds fantastic. Tighter bottom, more punch, cleans to die for, great tone.

I think you'll be happy with it.

Angus

• Members

Price sounds pretty decent. I paid $600 for an M60 combo in great shape with new factory tubes. I mostly use it as a head over a Rivera C212 vertical cab containing a Hellatone G12H30 and V30. Speakers DO make a difference with these. The original G12T85 in the combo sounds good, but the cab with Hellatones sounds fantastic. Tighter bottom, more punch, cleans to die for, great tone.

I think you'll be happy with it.

Angus

Thanks im glad i got it sounds great

• Members

OK all you rivera guys, give me some info. I just purchased a Chubster 40 and love it. Love the clean, love the distortion, dynamics, how quiet it is, etc. My question, I see knuckleheads, s120s, R series, fandango etc. If I wanted a second rivera to get a heaver sound which is the route to go. Could be a head or combo. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

OK all you rivera guys, give me some info. I just purchased a Chubster 40 and love it. Love the clean, love the distortion, dynamics, how quiet it is, etc. My question, I see knuckleheads, s120s, R series, fandango etc. If I wanted a second rivera to get a heaver sound which is the route to go. Could be a head or combo. Thanks

THIS AMP RIGHT HERE http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104341986

• Members

As someone already pointed out, the Knucklehead 2 will get you a heavier sound.

In addition to that amp, I can also suggest the Knucklehead Reverb, the K-Tre, the Quiana, and the Fandango.

I own a Knucklehead Reverb and a Quiana. Both will do very modern and heavy sounds. I mean, my Quiana is the 1x12 model and it gets very heavy even with just the one speaker!

Terry

• Members
It's on it's way.

I lost most of the gain on channel one and a {censored} load of volume on channel two, which I assume is just the loss of a preamp tube, but this is the 4th preamp tube that's gone south on me in the past year. Hopefully the guys at Rivera will fix it right and not charge an arm and a leg to do so.

I took it to a Rivera dealer in the hopes that their tech could get it fixed for me in a week since I have a show this weekend, but he said he wouldn't even look at it because the K100 is "a hard amp to service."
:confused:
That's actually the second time I've heard that from a tech.

I swear if this amp comes back with problems I'm getting rid of it. I tone I get (especially the clean) but I just can't handle all the repair it's needed.

Coming up on 2 months now. Haven't heard a word out of Rivera on the status of my amp. I'm about to abandon ship on this thing.

• Members

I know I just posted in here yesterday, but I'm leaving the Rivera club. My local guitar shop let me take home a Marshall JVM to demo with my band. Not only does it sound great, but it's versatile as hell and fairly quiet. Add to that assignable reverb on all for channels, 2 effects loops and MIDI programmability, I can finally scale down my live rig to something manageable. Needless to say I'm buying it.

I really enjoyed the tone I got from the Rivera and hate to get rid of it. It's the only negative aspect to my purchasing the JVM.

• Members

I've got a K Tre' question. I just finished talking to a salesperson at Rivera about speakers in a 2x12 for the K Tre'. He recommened the G12T-75's over the V30s for the Tre'.

So, what do you think? Anyone use 75's with it? And how does the Tre's midrange get along with the mid-spike in the V30's?

• Members

Rivera used to voice there amps with EV's in mind as did Mesa back in the day. Rivera later as a special 80 or 85 watt Celestion made to their specs. It may have been a G12?-85.

My S120 stereo head uses a pair of EV Alnico SRO's in an open cab River H212 cab and Vintage 30's in a convertible back 2X12. The Vintage 30's have been replaced by the Vintage 30 clone made by Warehouse Speakers and it sounds mucho better. I tend to keep the back closed so it helps the low end.

gt5litre

• Members

I know I just posted in here yesterday, but I'm leaving the Rivera club. My local guitar shop let me take home a Marshall JVM to demo with my band. Not only does it sound great, but it's versatile as hell and fairly quiet. Add to that assignable reverb on all for channels, 2 effects loops and MIDI programmability, I can finally scale down my live rig to something manageable. Needless to say I'm buying it.

I really enjoyed the tone I got from the Rivera and hate to get rid of it. It's the only negative aspect to my purchasing the JVM.

After rehearsing last night with my H&K Switchblade I also realized I want to keep the amount of stuff I bring to a gig less not more. I think i am going to check out the JVM and also the Boogie Roadster.

• Members

Hi All

I see that there's a couple of fanatics about Rivera here.

I am a french guy who own a Rivera TBR-1SLM (a mixture of the SL and M version, see the yellow things just below). I bought it in Paris in 1995 (second hand). The unit seems to date at least from 1992 (this corresponds to the last tube revision)

I was wondering if I am the only one on earth to have this superb machine ?

10112.jpg

Regards,

Mini Ours (= Mini Bear in english!)

• Members
Hi All

I see that there's a couple of fanatics about Rivera here.

I am a french guy who own a
Rivera TBR-1SLM
(a mixture of the SL and M version, see the yellow things just below). I bought it in Paris in 1995 (second hand). The unit seems to date at least from 1992 (this corresponds to the last tube revision)

I was wondering if I am the only one on earth to have this superb machine ?

10112.jpg

Regards,

Mini Ours (= Mini Bear in english!)

Wow, I haven't seen one of those! I have been wanting to get a TBR1-SL for some time now. How does yours sound? Do you have any recordings of it?

• Members

I took closer pictures of the TBR-1 SLM...

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/commun/window.php?lien=/img/membres/normal/1/0/105084.jpg
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/commun/window.php?lien=/img/membres/normal/1/0/105083.jpg

In fact, this unit sounds like the M and SL models, but here you've got all the sounds from both models in one single box !!! It has a lot of control knobs especially regarding the clean/crunch sounds channel (contour, notch shift, brightness...)

For the lead distorted sounds, it is exactely like the SL model.

Mini Ours

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Hmmm . . . not with all Riveras. Given that
anything
probably sounds better cranked, I would agree. But on my M60, dialing in low output and triode mode and using a patchcord on the effects loop yields
great
tone at practice levels.

Angus

AGREED TOTALY,, I OWN A RIVERA HUNDRED DUO TWELVE AND NOT ONLY DO I PLAY VERY SMALL CLUBS HERE IN FLORIDA OR IN MY BEDROOM AT HOME TO PRACTICE ,,ALONE WITHOUT AN EXTENSION CABNET , THIS COMBO IS A FIRE BREATHER, I STILL LOVE GOING OUT TO OPEN JAM NIGHTS WITH THE GUYS AND THEIR MESSA, AND MARSHALLS AND WATCH THEM LEAVE WITH THAT ,,JUST CAUGHT PUMPING THE NEIGHBORS DOG LOOK ON THEIR FACE,JUST A METAPHOR,,BUT TRUE,,, AND ON THE OTHER END THIS COMBO WILL DRIVE TWO 4X12 CABNETS ALL DAY,, I SOLD A JCM 800 JUBILEE HEAD AND MARSHALL1960 B CABNET AND A FENDER TWINN TO AQUIRE THIS COMBO, I NEVER REGRET IT ONE TIME,,,PEOPLE WHO OWN MESSA AND MARSHALL BUY THEM FOR THAT SOUND ... RIVERA OWNERS WILL TELL YOU WITHOUT HESITATION THEY BOUGHT IT TO CREATE THEIR SOUND...RANDY B. PROUD/HAPPY RIVERA OWNER/USER

• Members

(I'll probably post this on the Rivera Yahoo forum as well, so apologies if you see it more than once.)

I have a '92 M60 combo with a C212 verical cab loaded with Hellatones. I run it with a patch cord bridging the effects loop and get great tone out of it at practice levels. Love the amp & love the cab but still consider myself a total novice with them.

Normally, I play a USA Strat Plus with Gold Lace Sensors. I borrowed a friend's ES 335 recently and was amazed at how dark and muddy it sounds on the Strat settings. Sure, I was expecting a difference, but wow! Channel 1 was pure mud while Channel 2 was starting to get chimey with a nice breakup when I had to quit for the day. Of course, I plan to experiment a lot, but I just wondered if there are rules of thumb for humbuckers vs. single coils for these channels.

Many thanks

Angus

WELL YOU KNOW RULES ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN ,,,HENCE THE RIVERA AMP IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE,,THESE AMPS ARE PROBABLY NOT FOR EVERYONE,,,ONLY THOSE WHO THIRST FOR TONE ,, THESE AMPS WILL QUINCH YOUR THIRST,,, AND WITH ANY BOUTIQUE AMP YOU MUST EXPERIMENT WITH THE PUSH/PULL SECTION ON THE EQ ,,,THE CONTROLS ROLL ON/OFF NICELY WITH HEADROOM TO SPARE, I OWN HUNDRED DUO TWELVE, A COMBO AS WELL,,, I HAVE PLAYED THROUGH A M60 ,,THAT WAS THE AMP THAT SOLD ME ON RIVERA,,, I USE VERY FEW EFFECTS ANYMORE,,AND YOU CAN LOSE SIGNAL WITH CERTAIN UNITS ,,ALWAYS LOOK FOR TRUE BYPASS IF YOU CAN ,,THE SAME WITH SOME WIRELES UNITS THEY HAVE A TENDENCY TO COMPRESS YOUR TONE/SOUND, I USE AN AMERICAN STRAT W/LACE SENSERS AS WELL AND MY MAIN GUITAR IS A PRS CUSTUM 24 W/ DRAGON TWO PICKUPS ,,I USE THE SAME SETTINGS FOR BOTH GUITARS,,,,,HOPE THIS HELPS,,,,,RANDY B.

Archived