Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Members

500 frog skins is about the going rate,...i have never had the chance to try the 40 watt version so i cant give ya an answer,...but the obvious thing is the head room,..and since ya already have a cab,..you could flip the combo for probably about the same jack...

yo!!..pioneer prog!!,..how ya liking your new set up?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

v1 is the most important preamp tube,...put your best "nos-low gain" preamp tube in V1,...i would leave the others as they were stock,...then after you have digested your new preamp sound with the v1 change,..then hit the other preamp tubes,...whats your bias set at?

Fail...

V1 controls the clean channel only on the XXX

V2 is the start of the gain circuit...put your loest gain tube there for more usable gain on the crunch/ultra channels...

• Members

yo!!..pioneer prog!!,..how ya liking your new set up?

:cry:

well, I took the chassis out Sun. night to clean pots and change a couple of preamp tubes.

Get to practice Mon., forgot both the power and standby are switched on from when I took it apart, and plug amp in. Don't realize until several minutes later it's powered up and not plugged into cabinet yet. Turned off, plugged in properly.

Started playing later, and it was not performing properly.

Don't know which of these variables caused it, but it is not working properly now. Took it to a tech to check it out b/c I do not know nearly enough to diagnose/fix.

• Members

Fail...

V1 controls the clean channel only on the XXX

V2 is the start of the gain circuit...put your loest gain tube there for more usable gain on the crunch/ultra channels...

V1 is the first tube your signal is routed directly through no matter what channel you are on. I'm looking at the schematic right now. I don't know anything about which tube is best for your low gain tube though. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

Low gain works best in V2..however V1 is across the board.

For those thinking about it: DO NOT PUT ANYTHING LOW GAIN IN V3..IT MESSES WITH THE EQ AND BRINGS DOWN YOUR VOLUME.

Thanks for the link BTW. Very useful. Cheers, Lucius

PS: If anyone needs the schematics for the XXX or ultra plus I have them. Also, let me know what schematics you have. lwperreault@yahoo.com

• Members

well, I took the chassis out Sun. night to clean pots and change a couple of preamp tubes.

Get to practice Mon., forgot both the power and standby are switched on from when I took it apart, and plug amp in. Don't realize until several minutes later it's powered up and not plugged into cabinet yet. Turned off, plugged in properly.

Started playing later, and it was not performing properly.

Don't know which of these variables caused it, but it is not working properly now. Took it to a tech to check it out b/c I do not know nearly enough to diagnose/fix.

well that sux,..sorry to here that,...lets hope its an easy fix!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

well that sux,..sorry to here that,...lets hope its an easy fix!

160 bucks later...

burnt plate resister, cracked solder joints, new power tubes. That bill also included putting a handle on it, and a new jewel status light.

I wish the guy woulda called me first before getting the higher-dollar JJ's. I woulda been fine with some cheaper sovteks :cry:

Oh well.

Sounded good through my windsor cab.

Crunch & ultra Had a lot more "meat" to the tone than running the HT-dual through the clean channel. Though that might have had something to do with it having the most lackluster clean channel of any Peavey tube amp I've played. It broke up nicely the way (and when) I wanted it to, just didn't seem to have that fullness to it.

All this was through my windsor cab.

• Members

I do but i've never been successful in getting a good lead tone I usually just have opted for a crushing rhythm.

I know it sounds like I'm being an ass, but honestly the point in having an amp is to find your own tones. This way you learn how your amp responds, what it does, all the hidden features, how it interacts with pedals and guitars and all that. You don't learn that by copping someone else's settings and even the same settings will get you completely different results. You want a lead tone, try both channels and experiment, and above all listen with your ears and not your eyes.

• Members

I know it sounds like I'm being an ass, but honestly the point in having an amp is to find your own tones. This way you learn how your amp responds, what it does, all the hidden features, how it interacts with pedals and guitars and all that. You don't learn that by copping someone else's settings and even the same settings will get you completely different results. You want a lead tone, try both channels and experiment, and above all listen with your ears and not your eyes.

Naw I know what your saying.

• Members

Naw I know what your saying.

I've owned my JSX for over 5 years and I'm STILL learning new stuff about it. You don't get that by chasing settings, trust me. Lots of times it's good to know WHY certain settings sound the way they do, so that you can use that knowledge to go for other tones based on what you like/don't like and what the amp can give you

• Members

I do but i've never been successful in getting a good lead tone I usually just have opted for a crushing rhythm.

If you have a good EQ pedal or even a overdrive(read: boost, like a Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss, DS-1, Ibanez Tubescreamer, etc, etc) pedal lying around this should be a non-issue. I have patch on my RP2000 that throws some reverb, a little slap-delay, a big high-mid range spike EQed in and some more gain off a amp model for a lead preset. It's almost effortless for soloing and it almost sounds like a pre-recorded and mixed solo sometimes.(when I play well that is haha)

A big +1 to DrakkarTyrannis too, experimentation to me is fun, but to find your own "voice", you must find it out for yourself. Start messing with pedals, jacking with the EQ, keep messing with settings until you find something you like. My rule of thumb for lead tone is lots of mids, lots of gain, possibly some time-based effects like delay to spruce up the sound. Of course, this is relatively easy to do with a multi-effects processor like I employ, but it can be done with just regular pedals too.

Hope this helps, good luck and I hope you find your sound Efekkt. :thu::cool:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi everyone

I've read the whole post. Thanks to you guys I've learnt how to make this amp sound good. I experimented with tubes ending up with the smile on my face. I want to try different power tubes now. I checked a few bias calculators and it seems to be a huge difference in bias point between 6L6 and 6L6GC. Is there anyone who could share with us reliable specific bias info (in mA) for those power tubes in Triple XXX:

Ruby 6L6GCMSTR

JJ EL34

JJ EL34L

JJ KT77

JJ 6L6

Archived