Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by XXXSquad

View Post

do you know something about Svetlana 6l6 ones? I heard JJ sounds good but they're quite fragile

I hadn't heard that about the JJ's. Bump for you, as I don't know about the Svetlana's. Running Ruby's in my other one, they sound O.K. but I like the JJ's more.

• Members

They are awesome! Tried EL34s....yuck. The stock Sovtek 6L6s were the suckage too. KT-77s keep the big bottom...open the mids up...and retain the nice highs. Seems a little more organic too. I don't recall...but I followed the directions on Eurotube website for setting the bias on the XXX...so what ever he said I did, I also have repalced all the pre's as well. I really dig the XXX thru my VHT cab. Sounded good thru my Mesa w/v-30s too, but very different.

• Members

Guys a question about the gain stages on the XXX regarding the eq.

Somebody posted that they are in the middle of the gain stages. Taking a look at the block diagrams on the manuals I see that this only happens on the super 40 and super 40 EFX combo. On the bigger amps it is at the end of the preamp which is more or less like everybody places them (though usually passive) and which makes them more effective in tone shaping (plus the fact that they are active).

The only other high gain company that places the eq not in the end but in the middle (or the start) is actually mesa/boogie and not on the rectos but on the mark amps (pre distortion, on the start just after V1 which buffers the input signal) and in the middle like the smaller XXXs (mesa caliber series and f-series amps). In the first situation (mark) the eq acts like pre gain filtering, like mini boosters for each band. In the caliber/f-series it acts more or less to regulate the feel of the amp than its tone.

Having gigged a f-series amp and the super 40 combo I must say that they are somewhat similar in this department on the crunch channel, but the active eq with the bass being the strongest pot (it almost regulates level in some case) makes a difference for better or worse in the ultra channel.

The bigger XXX's are more like a recto in this regard.

The small super 40 XXX amps are kind of unique, because this placement of the bass mid treble eq along with the fact that they are passive and not active in the crunch channel (shared with the clean) and the smaller wattage makes them interestingly vintage-y on the crunch channel!

Any thoughts? Any users of the super 40? I bought it mainly because I really liked the headroom on the clean channel and the price was right, we play a lot of unmiced gigs and pushing the amps. The speaker is not that bad actually and the cab is plywood. Good peavey!

Now, after setting up the crunch channel full tilt for heavy rythm I wish it had another clean channel altogether but retaining the "non conventional middle positioning of the tonestack and passive eq".

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm a long-time lurker here at HC and when I found this forum I decided it was time to join in at last! I upgraded more than a year ago from a Peavey Ultra (another fine amp) to a Triple XXX and couldn't be happier! The Triple X was a lot brighter than than Ultra, so I picked up some new speakers for my cab. (a Traynor YCS 412 - competely bulletproof and roadworthy, loaded with V30's stock) I dropped some Eminence speakers in the cab (Swamp Thang & Texas Heat in the X pattern) and man did that bring the thunder! I'm not exaggerating but, I had a drummer that I played with using this set up and after every set he would just gush about, "Man, your guitar sound is just amazing - I've never heard a guitar sound so huge!" (to be honest, it kind of creeped me out - but I digress)

I'm not a huge effects guy, so my signal chain is fairly straight forward and the Triple XXX is dead quiet;

Various Mahogany bodied guitars with various Dimarzio pickups
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Modded Crybaby Wah
Boss NS-2
MXR 10 Band EQ
BB Sonic Stomp
DOD Analog Chorus FX 65 Stereo Chorus (used on the clean channel only)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ (used as a solo boost only)

So as you can see, there's not a whole lot actually "coloring" my tone the MXR and the BBE are just accentuating things and because of how I run the NS-2 the effects loop is always on.

The way that I use the three channels is probably a little idiosyncratic, but you do what you gotta do to get through the gig, right? The Clean Channel is the pristine clean that the Triple XXX does so well, then the Crunch Channel I use as a very slightly dirty, classic Malcolm Young type sound - you know what I'm talking about, the harder you hit the strings the more dirt you get. It's a tricky one to set because the amp has so much gain. The Ultra Channel is a straight up rock/heavy metal sound that I use most of the time.

I've had this rig for over a year now and I just don't see that I'll ever get rid of this amp. Even when I just plug straight into the amp, it sounds incredible and lets each one of my guitars sing with their own voice. I'm really looking forward to taking it into the studio and really getting to explore the different sounds lurking in there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey guys!
Okay, it has been WAAAAY too long since i've retubed my Triple XXX. Like... years hahahaha! Not good. I only play on it a few hours every week max, but they could use a changer-oo.
Last time, i put a JJ 6L6 set with preamp tubes (high gain, if i recall) in there. It sounds pretty damn tasty. But, there are things i would change about it.
Right now, the clean channel is really icepicky... no warmth at all! Plus it really starts to break up at louder volumes. Nasty. The other players in my band use a JSX and 3120 and their cleans sound a lot better than mine. I would love to be able to get a glassy, fusiony tone, or even a nice warm Opethy sound out of it.
Both gain channels have WAY too much gain. Playing live with the band, it doesn't go above 9 or 10 o clock max. I would like it to cut through a mix really well, too. We play 7 strings, so the low end still needs to be SUPER tight. I really like the way the other guitarist's JSX sounds, but it doesn't have bass as tight as the Triple XXX. I don't run a lot of bass in my sound at all, but it still needs to sound super tight if i do something very stocatto or palm muted.
So, in summary, tell me what tube set to go with for:
-Warmer clean tone that stays clean when cranked up
-Less gain
-Lots of cut to make it through drums, bass, and two other guitars
-tight tight tight bass
-Plenty of note definition as we do a lot of big chords
And as a reference, some heavy tones i like are: Meshuggah (None EP), Periphery (debut album), Ty Tabor (Dogman), Opeth (Watershed)
and clean tones i like are: Opeth (any!), Holdsworth, Exivious
Thanks!

• Members

Hey Humanfuseben! There are LOADS of suggestions throughout this thread, I know this may seem like a broken record, but read the whole thread to get a gist of perhaps exactly what you're after and what you need to do.

Personally for what you're doing and what has worked for me, If you want it warmer, get lower gain tubes and JJ's seem to work for me. Namely put a 12DW7/ECC832 in V2 to drop the gain, get some warmer sound out of it. I also dropped a long-plate JJ ECC803S in V1 for the cleans, however, I find certain pickups work best for clean sounds on the Triple XXX, I'd focus on your neck pickup selection in that case. While we're on the subject of preamp tubes, I also put in a 12AT7 in V4 for the phase inverter which seems to tighten up the amp a bit, but drops it's over all volume output just a bit.(which the amp is still plenty damn loud for me!)

As far as it cutting, I've NEVER had a problem once I understood how all the controls effect the amp's ability to cut through a mix. Keep the mids at least halfway and if you need more certain midrange frequencies to tweak, get a graphic or parametric EQ in the loop.(works for me in spades!)

Now the Triple XXX with damping set to loose is still a pretty tight amp in the bass registers, but if you want even more punch, look into my solution, the Aphex Aural Guitar Xciter 1402 (w/Big Bottom). I am VERY pleased with the Guitar Xciter's ability to tighten up the amp up to nearly razor sharp, percussive ability and for full out punch on the bass registers even at low volumes. With all these things done to my own amp, the note definition is pretty good, not like a VHT perhaps, but damn good enough for me and most people I'd assume.

Hope this helps! thumb.gif

• 4 months later...
  • Members

This thread has been a great help as I tweak my EFX 40.
Here's the setup for it at the moment that gave me the best sound:
V1 - Jan5751 tube (70% gain vs. a 12x7), so made the amp more versatile. The lower gain tubes i tried sounded a little thin and really dropped the volume.
V2 - EH12x7
V3 - EH12x7
PI - Jan 5751 (see above).
Output tubes: EH6L6

The stock speaker is good, but still sounded a little fizzy for me, so I swapped it with an Eminence Wizard, and what a difference! Fizzyness is gone, and it has much more fullness and low end. Whatever volume drop I experienced putting in the 5751 tubes was reversed with this speaker.

It took me some time to get to this point, but enjoy the ride tweaking the amp. It can only sound better and better.

Great sounding and versatile amp.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

man my triple xxx broke down again!!! does anyone know of a particular problem with the triple xxx 40watt, 1x12 combo version? It died on me twice now, what it does is starts making a static popping noise, and then it just dies. The shop I went to get it fixed at just reflowed the solder on the circuit board and that made it work, but...now its dead.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by yoyodunno

View Post

man my triple xxx broke down again!!! does anyone know of a particular problem with the triple xxx 40watt, 1x12 combo version? It died on me twice now, what it does is starts making a static popping noise, and then it just dies. The shop I went to get it fixed at just reflowed the solder on the circuit board and that made it work, but...now its dead.

FWIW my Super 40 was doing the same thing. Turned out it was a burnt up screen grid resistor.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by yoyodunno View Post
Oh thanks, yeah I remember reading about something like that a while ago. I'm gonna go research that now...

edit: found that I need a 100ohm 5w wire wound, axial lead resistor. Think this would work? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=015-100
Not sure as I hired a tech to do the work. Are you sure you have a bad resistor? Mine was scorched black and also the circuit board beneath it.

• 6 months later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by magh8 View Post
wow there is a lot of {censored} to read thru...looks like I'll be busy the next couple weeks...lol
Yes, there is. Ton of good info that kept me from selling my XXX.
I especially like the comments on using a lower gain tube in the V2 slot. Makes for a tighter, less compressed amp.

Archived