Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Members

I also have the 40 combo right now and I can say that you have to watch the reverb, at least on mine it is pretty noisy, also were you plug it into also seems to affect it sometimes. It can develop something like a loud hum. Other times it is almost dead silent with full on gain!!!

Also check your tubes. Peavey states three preamp tubes on the super 40 but there are 4 in that little bugger...maybe it has the same preamp with its bigger brothers after all, schematic seems off after finding it has 4 preamp tubes!!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Could be a grounding issue, does it do this with the guitar unplugged or all your effects unplugged? That can help isolate it...

Also check for any other sources of interference, like wall warts/power bricks from nearby electrical devices, TVs, etc, etc.

Also, if you have any spare preamp tubes, replace each one and test the amp on the gain channel to see if it still does it. You could have a preamp tube going microphonic and causing the noise.

Hope this helps! thumb.gifcool.gif

• Members

If it's still doing that after all of that, then it sounds like a trip to the amp tech is in order because that's not normal. The amp has built-in noise reduction circuitry on it on the gain channels and that should get rid of most of the white noise at low volumes while it's on distortion,(doesn't help much at high volumes) but if it's doing it on the clean channel too then it's definitely something else...

Sorry I don't have better news man, hope you get it sorted out!

• 3 months later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by M-III View Post
Haha, not bad man! But here is a piece of advice from someone who's already tried it, I do hope you used some good primer on the knobs first! While a coat of industrial strength flat black can last a pretty good while, it's not permanent/strong enough and it will eventually start cracking and flake off... Paint will not adhere to chrome very well without a good primer coat. Yea, I learned this the hard way...

However my next suggestion is looking for some knobs HERE.

Oh yea, here's my amp with it's current "revised" look, newer semi-gloss black plate with knurled black knobs with white dimples. thumb.gif

37044256.th.jpg
Yeah I like that, very metal looking indeed. The 2nd picture with the diamond plate and white indicator/black knobs.

• Members
ClickHandler.ashx?ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.om

Haha, thanks for the bump Iron Lotus! biggrin.gif I had almost forgotten about this ancient and ever-living thread... icon_lol.gif

Yep I still have my amp looking like that man, good luck finding some diamond plate powdercoated black, cut and drilled to those dimensions like that... *sigh*

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'd like to note that one of the reasons I'm planning on keeping my XXX is that a tech accidentally installed JJE34L's instead of EL34's.  I later had to have it repaired, as the internet lore about XXX's & E34L's is no bull{censored}, but it was worth it.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Have a question. I am picking up a Triple XXX 2x12 Combo tomorrow on a fair trade (2 mackie TH15A's) and I have been reading here through many pages and it seems the consensus is to run EL34's (not E34L's) and put a 12dw pre tube in V2.  I do have a matched pair of EL34's labelled Marshall. Obviously in order to use the EL34's for the time being I would have to pull the two outers and re-bias which I am comfortable with.

Finally my question is.. would a NOS Sylvania 12AV7 work similarly? According to this the AV7 has a gain factor of 41 compared to AX7's gain factor of 100. I'm guessing it would give the desired effect. I know it really tames my Peavey Windsor a little too much but I'm thinking it would work well in the Triple XXX. I have a slew of those tubes. Picked em up at a flea market years ago for 50 cents each so I bought the guy out of all 8 he had.

What are your thoughts? Oh BTW I do plan on playing through the amp first to see if I like it "as is".

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Well, after a few years I renewed my Lounge membership.

Traded one of my amps for the XXX, and the guy said he had no use for the XXX cab so it came with it for free.

xxx

Picking up right where I left off about 4 years ago when I sold my last Triple XXX.  Crushing palm mutes I just wasn't getting with my other amps so glad to have this back in my stable.

So, anybody have a XXX faceplate they'd like to sell me?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I read through all these posts lots of times and tried many different tube cocktails LOL. I right now have JJ Kt77 for power tubes, and jj ecc832 in V1 and V2. jj ecc83s in V3 and V4. Right now these just sound right for me. The clean is not as harsh anymore and the gain knobs are more usable, not just in your face!

Archived