Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Members

Man, I still dig my XXX...I thought I had posted my favorite clip of it in this thread, but I can't find it...But, this is the best miked tone I've got, and it's my XXX....Quad tracked, lots of gain, but I still like it. I have yet to capture a tone I like as well as I did this night.

This is THE sound. Killer stuff. I'm really thinking about copping a 3120. I want this

[YOUTUBE]wrk9z5TAXao[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

pre-amp tubes made a huge!!! difference in my amp!!...as did the power amp tubes,...i even hear difference between different brands of 6l6's in my amp!

a guy that i know localy said basicaly the same thing as you,..and was so frustrated with the xxx that he had it up for sale!

i let him try mine,...he stared blankly at the cab not believing what he was hearing,..and he still didnt think it was the amp that was making the change in tone!,..he thought it was the cab!,..so we used his cab,..,,SAME RESULTS!!

heres what must be done to get the most out of the XXX,...

-1-put the bias selector in the el34 mode reguardless if you are running 6l6's/el34's.,...(when you check the bias of this amp you'll see why ya do this,..peavey bias's these beast ice cold from the factory,..and if you leave the bias selector on the 6l6 mode you will never get close enough,..NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!,...PLEASE!..DONT BELIEVE ME!...CHECK IT FOR YOURSELF!!!

this one change alone will put a huge smile on your face,...NOW!!,,,YOUR TUBE SWAPS WILL ACTUALLY BE NOTICEABLE!!

-2- v1-5751 v-2-12ax7 v-3-12au7 v-4-12ax7

-3-for gods sake get some greenbacks/greenback clones, or at the very least v-30's

there is supposed to be a mini amp fest locally that is going to be recorded,..i cant wait to bring my xxx (there is also going to be another xxx there)...jaws will drop!,..and everyone can listen for themselves to see if what i say is the gospel,..or internet dribble!

by the way,...my other amp is a marshall 2203kk that cost 4x what the xxx cost,...and to be honest!,..i play the xxx everynight!,...the 2203kk,..maybe once a week!...

i am here to tell ya that anyone who has/had/sold/played/tried/dissed a XXX,..DIDNT KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE/HAD!!

I'M DONE!

I am in no way complaining about the tone! Just that compared to all the other things you can change, the tubes have the least effect. Maybe all my tubes were good from the factory? Love this amp, dont need to convince me. I am nailing Joe's Surfing tone with it. (I know its crazy to brag about getting a DS-1 tone, but I can also get 80's mod-marshall "shred" and thrash tones too. Its all in there.)

• Members

Mine sounds kinda like a 5150. Feels a little different. I dont think I am digging it.

i think this is the 3rd time i have responded to your posts,..try what i have,..if that dont do it for ya then ??...maybe it's not for you!

have you biased it?...what are ya using for speakers?

• Members

Tubes mad a huge difference in mine as well...as it has in every amp I'ved own. I can't believe that it doesn't cross over into recordings...

It just doesnt. Changing the mic, mic position, raising the volume to control saturation, EQ changes, pickup changes, input gain changes (vol knob), speaker swaps, etc ALL do so much to the recoreded tone that tube changes are virtually masked.

Not saying that you dont hear a slight difference in room, but once you go through a single EQ on the mixing board, the tone has already been shaped far beyond what a tube change will do.

Smart money is on speaker swaps if you really want to make a difference.

• Members

i think this is the 3rd time i have responded to your posts,..try what i have,..if that dont do it for ya then ??...maybe it's not for you!

have you biased it?...what are ya using for speakers?

Have greenbacks in a vintage style cab, they sound ok at low-mid vol but flub out the low end at high volume metal. I do need to tweak, I havent given it a real good chance yet. A 5150 is definitely not for me, been there and back.

• Members

I got some good tones out of it today. I bet with some EL34s and preamp tweaking it would be pretty good. What is nice about it is its so tweakable with JUST eq adjustment. With a 5150, you pretty much get what ya got. Didnt someone say they thought this amp didnt cut well? I dont see how that could be, it has a {censored}ton of mids available. I didnt like boosting this amp which seems strange but with the eq being so touchy, its hard to say. I didnt check the bias as I dont have a meter, just a weber bias rite and I didnt want to pull the chassis at this point. I just have too many amps right now though to keep it but I found a new respect for it.

Jesse, greenbacks flub when you put a lot of watts through them. You can put an eq in the input and drop bass freqs out but those speakers dont handle low end well to me at big volume.

• Members

pre-amp tubes made a huge!!! difference in my amp!!...as did the power amp tubes,...i even hear difference between different brands of 6l6's in my amp!

a guy that i know localy said basicaly the same thing as you,..and was so frustrated with the xxx that he had it up for sale!

i let him try mine,...he stared blankly at the cab not believing what he was hearing,..and he still didnt think it was the amp that was making the change in tone!,..he thought it was the cab!,..so we used his cab,..,,SAME RESULTS!!

heres what must be done to get the most out of the XXX,...

-1-put the bias selector in the el34 mode reguardless if you are running 6l6's/el34's.,...(when you check the bias of this amp you'll see why ya do this,..peavey bias's these beast ice cold from the factory,..and if you leave the bias selector on the 6l6 mode you will never get close enough,..NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!,...PLEASE!..DONT BELIEVE ME!...CHECK IT FOR YOURSELF!!!

this one change alone will put a huge smile on your face,...NOW!!,,,YOUR TUBE SWAPS WILL ACTUALLY BE NOTICEABLE!!

-2- v1-5751 v-2-12ax7 v-3-12au7 v-4-12ax7

-3-for gods sake get some greenbacks/greenback clones, or at the very least v-30's

there is supposed to be a mini amp fest locally that is going to be recorded,..i cant wait to bring my xxx (there is also going to be another xxx there)...jaws will drop!,..and everyone can listen for themselves to see if what i say is the gospel,..or internet dribble!

by the way,...my other amp is a marshall 2203kk that cost 4x what the xxx cost,...and to be honest!,..i play the xxx everynight!,...the 2203kk,..maybe once a week!...

i am here to tell ya that anyone who has/had/sold/played/tried/dissed a XXX,..DIDNT KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE/HAD!!

I'M DONE!

Someone traded me a mesa boogie Mark 1 for mine XXX has got beautiful distortion but the cleans are so sterile! Mark 1 seems to do the edge of breakup I need.

• Members

I sold my XXX yesterday. We had a good run, and I got some good tones out of it.

I thought it might be time for something different. I'd been buying amps over the past few months, bringing them home to compare them side by side with the XXX, and deciding to keep the XXX instead of the newcomers. But I got a Mark V, and it was a clear winner for my purposes. So, the XXX has gone to a good home, where it will hopefully be loved. The new owner is upgrading from a Fender Frontman 15 and a Peavey Vypyr. I had to explain what a tube is and how to use the standby switch. Toob noob.

Anyways, the XXX is a fine amp, and quite underrated. Enjoy!

/CSB.

• Members

Tubes mad a huge difference in mine as well...as it has in every amp I'ved own. I can't believe that it doesn't cross over into recordings...

For me, tubes haven't made that much of a difference. Switching to EH EL34s made it a tad warmer, but didn't drastically change the dynamics of the amp. Pinch harmonics were a tad more pronounced too, but not a night and day difference. Tonight I even swapped out the EH tubes for the =C= EL34s that were in my 2203. Sounded better still, but again not a huge difference. Even swapped out the JJ preamp tubes for sovteks. The tone is getting better, but I don't think I'll see much more of a difference until I put in some lower gain pre's. Speakers IMO will change the amp more than tubes. I've been running my XXX through my stock 5150 cab until last night when I switched to the XXX cab I just bought. THAT made a world of a difference. Sounded absolutely beautiful at our gig tonight. Sadly, its a love/hate relationship I have with my XXX. More often than not, though, I get the tone I want out of it. I think its just something with the natural compression of the amp and the wierd feedback I get sometimes that make me want to throw it out a window. But when it has its groove on, ITS ON. :thu:

• Members

Finally got to check out those 77's you sent me yesterday Jesse....I really like the way they sound with this head. Def more notacable low end than the 34's and it stays plenty tight with the extra headroom of the 77's but still has a fair amount of crunch to it without sounding sterile. I need to pull the chassis out though to bias it properly because the bias meter and tube together would not fit. Gonna try and yank it out later tonight and get it dialed in. Played on it at band practice....crunch channel with the Master a little over half way and then the channel volume at about 4 and I was getting some great metal tones out of it in drop B.

To me the thing that had the most effect on my tone with this head was the speaker cabinet. I think the Emi Legends in the Vader compliment this amp well for aggressive music.....they have a pretty flat sound to them so they don't have too much of any one frequency and you can EQ them in nicely. I think this combo is the win for me!

• Members

For me, tubes haven't made that much of a difference. Switching to EH EL34s made it a tad warmer, but didn't drastically change the dynamics of the amp. Pinch harmonics were a tad more pronounced too, but not a night and day difference. Tonight I even swapped out the EH tubes for the =C= EL34s that were in my 2203. Sounded better still, but again not a huge difference. Even swapped out the JJ preamp tubes for sovteks. The tone is getting better, but I don't think I'll see much more of a difference until I put in some lower gain pre's. Speakers IMO will change the amp more than tubes. I've been running my XXX through my stock 5150 cab until last night when I switched to the XXX cab I just bought. THAT made a world of a difference. Sounded absolutely beautiful at our gig tonight. Sadly, its a love/hate relationship I have with my XXX. More often than not, though, I get the tone I want out of it. I think its just something with the natural compression of the amp and the wierd feedback I get sometimes that make me want to throw it out a window. But when it has its groove on, ITS ON.
:thu:

Mine is generally quiet, but in the studio if I get too close to my rack it picks up noise. So I run a BOSS NS-2 in front of the amp and that cleans it up really well. That should solve any feedback problems.

• Members

I've had mixed results with my ISP Decimator. For me, running it in front doesn't help the noise and feedback at all, but in the loop it does a decent job. I think I need lower output preamp tubes to quiet down the noise all together. Then the gain knob would be more usable. Every time I mess with it I like it more. Very strange considering I've wanted to simply give up on it so many times.

• Members

I've had mixed results with my ISP Decimator. For me, running it in front doesn't help the noise and feedback at all, but in the loop it does a decent job. I think I need lower output preamp tubes to quiet down the noise all together. Then the gain knob would be more usable. Every time I mess with it I like it more. Very strange considering I've wanted to simply give up on it so many times.

Interesting. When I had an XXX, I tried the Decimator in front and in the loop. I found that I had to run it quite high in the loop, and on settings that would work for my high gain channels, it would cut the sustain off the clean channel. But then I ran in last in line before the amp, and it was perfect. I could keep it at fairly low levels, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Not to change subjects but I just read the first post of this thread. I find it humorus how times change. I remember people thinking I was nutts becasue I liked the tx with Sovtek 6l6 wxt+ tubes. Evryone baack then had it in their heads the tubes were crap and put in JJ's and EL34 tubes. I tried JJ tubes a full compliment of them. I hatd them the amp got real dark and the power tubes didn't last. I do use a JJ or two in the pre amp section but I have to have, for 6l6 tubs, Sovtek wxt+ tubes. I have tried probably 5 different types of power tubes and always come back to these. I did pop a set of EL34 tubes in my Super 40 just to see how they sound and they also sound great. I wouldn't say better but it is a different flavor then the 6l6 tone. I would love to run 2 el34 and 2 6l6 wxt+ tubes in my head but haven't modded it for that, I don't even know if it is doable. I have read of someone doing that but I can't remember where I read it. Anyway the tx/3150 is still an incredible amp.

• Members

I figured there was a reason Peavey offered the Windsor cab w/ the 3120, as they could have paired it with any cheap cab.

From what I've gathered, the Windsor cab has greenback clones (albeit higher wattage) so I can't wait to try it out tonight at practice! I didn't bother changing v1 as I believe that only affects the clean channel, so I stuck a 5751 in v2 and a 12at7 in v4. Couldn't try it out last night though cuz I had just sprayed the pots and didn't want to take any chances. :cry: I don't dig it through my t75's, same as my old Supreme XL. This has a REALLY similar voicing.

• Members

I figured there was a reason Peavey offered the Windsor cab w/ the 3120, as they could have paired it with any cheap cab.

From what I've gathered, the Windsor cab has greenback clones (albeit higher wattage) so I can't wait to try it out tonight at practice! I didn't bother changing v1 as I believe that only affects the clean channel, so I stuck a 5751 in v2 and a 12at7 in v4. Couldn't try it out last night though cuz I had just sprayed the pots and didn't want to take any chances.
:cry:
I don't dig it through my t75's, same as my old Supreme XL. This has a REALLY similar voicing.

v1 is the most important preamp tube,...put your best "nos-low gain" preamp tube in V1,...i would leave the others as they were stock,...then after you have digested your new preamp sound with the v1 change,..then hit the other preamp tubes,...whats your bias set at?

• Members

Hey guys,

I've recently come across a used XXX head for 500 bucks. I've been reading through this thread over the course of a couple days now and have a question I hope you guys can give an honest opinion on.

I am currently running a XXX 40 watt combo through a marshall 1960a with vintage 30's. I really like my tone, but I get the majority of my sound from the combo, not the cab. I feel as though I am not really utilizing the cab to it's full potential, and so I've been thinking about picking up the used head. I also never tend to use the crunch channel as it is not selectable on the footswitch of the combo. Do you think it is worth the 500 bucks for the head?

• Members

Hey guys,

I've recently come across a used XXX head for 500 bucks. I've been reading through this thread over the course of a couple days now and have a question I hope you guys can give an honest opinion on.

I am currently running a XXX 40 watt combo through a marshall 1960a with vintage 30's. I really like my tone, but I get the majority of my sound from the combo, not the cab. I feel as though I am not really utilizing the cab to it's full potential, and so I've been thinking about picking up the used head. I also never tend to use the crunch channel as it is not selectable on the footswitch of the combo. Do you think it is worth the 500 bucks for the head?

Try it out.. The head and combo have definite differences. So they arent identical.. I got my XXX head for $450 which I thought was a deal and its been a great amp..

Or you can just wire the combo to use just the 4x12 cab and unhook the internal speaker..

• Members

hahahaha oh my god it took me way too long to get that joke..

and I've thought about rewiring the combo to only play through the cab, but there are some situations in which my combo is extremely useful.

What differences would you say are the most noticeable exactly?

Archived