Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Members

160 bucks later...

burnt plate resister, cracked solder joints, new power tubes. That bill also included putting a handle on it, and a new jewel status light.

I wish the guy woulda called me first before getting the higher-dollar JJ's. I woulda been fine with some cheaper sovteks
:cry:
Oh well.

Sounded good through my windsor cab.

Crunch & ultra Had a lot more "meat" to the tone than running the HT-dual through the clean channel. Though that might have had something to do with it having the most lackluster clean channel of any Peavey tube amp I've played. It broke up nicely the way (and when) I wanted it to, just didn't seem to have that fullness to it.

All this was through my windsor cab.

:mad::o:cop:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does anybody have good lead settings for the 40watt combo or any help with my eq?

I can dial some good rhythms but I need a good lead tone.

Put everything at noon...and start tweaking making small adjustments. I usually start with the mids...then bass..then treble. And with this amp, there's some interplay between them.

Get a good core sound before you add an EQ in the loop.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I own a Triple X EFX Super 40 combo and love the tones I've been able to dial in on the Crunch & Ultra Channels. I usually have the gain cranked on the Crunch channel while the gain is a little less than halfway up on the Ultra channel. The clean channel on this combo actually sounds really good and takes pedals really well. I have a pair of Sovtek WXT 6L6s, Sovtek LPS 12AX7, NOS Olympic 12AX7, Mesa 12AX7 and Peavey 12AX7 in the preamp section. Has anyone compared the head to the Super 40 combo version of the Triple X?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by JerEvil View Post
So, it's finally done. I put these in another post but thought I would post them here as well.

Triple_XXX_New_5.jpg

Triple_XXX_New_6.jpg

Triple_XXX_New_7.jpg

Triple_XXX_New_8.jpg

Triple_XXX_New_9.jpg

Triple_XXX_New_10.jpg
Love this.

So looking like KT77's are good choices for the XXX
and then...
V1- jj ecc832 (12dw7)
v2- jj ecc803s
v3- jj ecc83s
v4- sovtek 12ax7 LPS
-or-
V1- jj ecc803s
V2- jj ecc832 (12dw7)
V3- jj ecc83s
V4- sovtek 12ax7 LPS

FX loop maxed, Master around 2-3 oclock at all times..
Setting on loose, And biased right... And probably boosted
with the modded ts-9 (808 resistors swap).... Sound good?

• Members

Yay, I can post in this thread, I guess. icon_lol.gif

I have KT77s in my 3120, and these preamp tubes:
V1- Tung Sol
V2- Penta Labs
V3- JJEC83S
V4- Sovtek LPS

Damn thing is finicky as to what you put into it, had some noise issues with the Ultra channel, and had to swap some preamp tubes around until it went away.

I really like this amp, lets me have a very simple setup, a couple Decimators(woulda got a g-string, but I already had one with my other setup), a Delay pedal, and a Reverb pedal, and all is good. I do have a Chorus on the 'board, but I don't use it much. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lotus View Post
Love this.

So looking like KT77's are good choices for the XXX
and then...

V1- jj ecc803s
V2- jj ecc832 (12dw7)
V3- jj ecc83s
V4- sovtek 12ax7 LPS

FX loop maxed, Master around 2-3 oclock at all times..
Setting on loose, And biased right... And probably boosted
with the modded ts-9 (808 resistors swap).... Sound good?
That's the tube set-up I'm using and loving. V2 effects both the crunch and ultra channels, and thats why you wnt the lower gain tube there.

I tried boosting with a modded TS-9...and honestly the amp just doesn't need it. Even with the lower gain tube in V2...I'm still under 6 on the gain!

I think I have my send/return at 50% each...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey guys!

I'm new here...glad I finally found a place where the XXX is appreciated!

I currently own the 40watt 1x12 combo and I just love the Ultra channel on this little beast smile.gif I really wish it was the 60watt 3channel but I really dig this 40watt version.

I don't know much about the amp so if anyone can help me take it to it's full potential it would be awesome biggrin.gif

Currently I've been considering some "mods" so tell me what you think :

-Installing a bias trim pot since there's just a fixed bias and I can't really adjust the amp to take EL34s well...anyone knows how much this costs?
-Changing 6l6 to EL34s...which brand? JJ?
-Last...I'm considering changing the speaker to a JSX speaker or V30

any thoughts?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Milky_Way View Post
Hey guys!

I'm new here...glad I finally found a place where the XXX is appreciated!

I currently own the 40watt 1x12 combo and I just love the Ultra channel on this little beast smile.gif I really wish it was the 60watt 3channel but I really dig this 40watt version.

I don't know much about the amp so if anyone can help me take it to it's full potential it would be awesome biggrin.gif

Currently I've been considering some "mods" so tell me what you think :

-Installing a bias trim pot since there's just a fixed bias and I can't really adjust the amp to take EL34s well...anyone knows how much this costs?
-Changing 6l6 to EL34s...which brand? JJ?
-Last...I'm considering changing the speaker to a JSX speaker or V30

any thoughts?
Get a Warehouse Veteran 30 instead of a Celestion V30. The Veteran 30 is a V30 clone, and many XXX owners prefer it, as it doesn't have some of the V30s problems.

I'd guess that a bias pot installation will cost you $60. This amp benefits from proper biasing.

JJ or Tung Sol EL34s, or JJ E34Ls will work well. I never tried SED EL34s in this one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by eudaimonia02912 View Post
Get a Warehouse Veteran 30 instead of a Celestion V30. The Veteran 30 is a V30 clone, and many XXX owners prefer it, as it doesn't have some of the V30s problems.

I'd guess that a bias pot installation will cost you $60. This amp benefits from proper biasing.

JJ or Tung Sol EL34s, or JJ E34Ls will work well. I never tried SED EL34s in this one.
I might send it to the local amp tech for a Bias pot installation tomorrow morning then smile.gif I've never had any experience with mods so I figured it would be much more $

I really wanna hear the XXX properly biased with EL34s smile.gif

Where can I find a Veteran 30?

One thing I really love about this amp is how my neck pickup just sings! I really like that "tuby" sound I get when I dig into the strings

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Milky_Way View Post
I might send it to the local amp tech for a Bias pot installation tomorrow morning then smile.gif I've never had any experience with mods so I figured it would be much more $

I really wanna hear the XXX properly biased with EL34s smile.gif

Where can I find a Veteran 30?

One thing I really love about this amp is how my neck pickup just sings! I really like that "tuby" sound I get when I dig into the strings
Speakers:
http://www.wgs4.com/

Also, consider the Tung Sol EL34Bs. I haven't tried them yet (and I don't have an XXX anymore to try them in), but people seem to love them.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by eudaimonia02912 View Post
Speakers:
http://www.wgs4.com/

Also, consider the Tung Sol EL34Bs. I haven't tried them yet (and I don't have an XXX anymore to try them in), but people seem to love them.
Thank for the info smile.gif

I checked them out...problem is I live in Greece and it actually costs more to order a Veteran 30 + shipping facepalm.gif

No problem though...I like the XXX speaker for now. What I really need to do is properly bias the amp...I'm getting a feeling that there's more to this XXX combo than what I hear now (which I already love)!!cool.gif

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Bringing back this really old, dead thread. I've got a few questions about the XXX. I remember reading something about it not being able to handle KT77s, but it seems that some of you are using them. So did I just imagine that?

Also, what is supposed to be behind the metal faceplate. Mine has nothing there, so it's really flimsy. I'm thinking about making one out of flamed maple stained black, but I want to be able to put the original on if I decide to sell it.

And finally, how can I get it to sound the most "Marshally"? Will EL34s do it, or do I need an EQ in the loop, too. I have too many amps that do heavy, high gain, so I want to make the XXX be a little crunchier.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Killa J View Post
Bringing back this really old, dead thread. I've got a few questions about the XXX. I remember reading something about it not being able to handle KT77s, but it seems that some of you are using them. So did I just imagine that?

Also, what is supposed to be behind the metal faceplate. Mine has nothing there, so it's really flimsy. I'm thinking about making one out of flamed maple stained black, but I want to be able to put the original on if I decide to sell it.

And finally, how can I get it to sound the most "Marshally"? Will EL34s do it, or do I need an EQ in the loop, too. I have too many amps that do heavy, high gain, so I want to make the XXX be a little crunchier.
If you want Marshally...go with either EL34s or JJ KT77s. I'd also suggest a JJ 12DWS in V2 to lower the gain and make the gain knob much more useable.

I have and love JJKT77s in my XXX...but am trying =C= 6L6s tonight.

• Members

^ What he said.

The lower gain tube in V2 is gonna make the biggest difference. I have KT77s in my 3120, but it's still very modern/compressed because I'm still running AX7s in every slot. Think more Iced Earth than old Marshall. icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
^ What he said.

The lower gain tube in V2 is gonna make the biggest difference. I have KT77s in my 3120, but it's still very modern/compressed because I'm still running AX7s in every slot. Think more Iced Earth than old Marshall. icon_lol.gif
That isn't a bad problem to havelove.gif

• Members

I've got a 5751 that I can try in V2. What about power tubes? Are Gold Lion tubes worth paying for? It seems a little silly to me to spring for expensive tubes for a high gain amp, but I'm up for anything if it really makes a difference. It not the Gold Lion KT77s, how about =C= EL34s? Those aren't super expensive, and I always hear good stuff about =C=.

• Members

I'd recommend going with JJ's Killa J if you're going to go for new tubes all around, especially if you want to go KT77 in the power amp section. The darker nature of the JJ's works to tame the high, harsher frequencies with the Triple XXX to get it more neutral sounding. The 5751 may work, but I know the 12DW7/ECC832 works like a charm for lowering the gain without "neutering" the amp.

• 2 months later...

Archived