Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by 10-46 View Post
Yes, there is. Ton of good info that kept me from selling my XXX.
I especially like the comments on using a lower gain tube in the V2 slot. Makes for a tighter, less compressed amp.
This x 100000000000000000. I love the amp now that I put the 12at7 in v2. So much more musical and the gain is way more useable. I also prefer it with EL34's and I don't get the comments about them losing low end. Mine has Ninja lows!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kdcprhc

View Post

What about 6CA7? Anybody has tried those in the XXX?

I got a friend of mine one from the classifieds a couple years ago and it was loaded with 6CA7's and it sounded pretty damn good.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by magh8

View Post

I got a friend of mine one from the classifieds a couple years ago and it was loaded with 6CA7's and it sounded pretty damn good.

Cool. Right now, I have a JSX with EL34's in it and I'm finding the tone too honky for me. I have a Triple XXX with 6L6's in it and, while the honk is still there, it's not as pronounced as the JSX. Will the 6CA7 have the same mids as an EL34 or are they more tamed?

• Members

View Post

Cool. Right now, I have a JSX with EL34's in it and I'm finding the tone too honky for me. I have a Triple XXX with 6L6's in it and, while the honk is still there, it's not as pronounced as the JSX. Will the 6CA7 have the same mids as an EL34 or are they more tamed?

what kindo of el34???

• Members

View Post

try the e34l....i like them better...but I was also just told the stock screen grid resistors should be upgraded to run el34 type tubes???

Well The E34L's they need to be upgraded. The amp can run regular el34's and kt77's but don't be surprised if a SGR does blow. When mine went I replaced them with the 100ohm resistors and it worked fine, but that doesn't change the fact they blew initially just running regular el34's

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime

View Post

Well The E34L's they need to be upgraded. The amp can run regular el34's and kt77's but don't be surprised if a SGR does blow. When mine went I replaced them with the 100ohm resistors and it worked fine, but that doesn't change the fact they blew initially just running regular el34's

well this is not going to be a go to amp so 6l6 it stays...

• Members

View Post

try the e34l....i like them better...but I was also just told the stock screen grid resistors should be upgraded to run el34 type tubes???

Yes, they have to be upgraded to be able to run the E34L's. I tried those in the Triple XXX and they sounded honky too. I guess I'm not a big fan of the EL34 mids. But my question is if the 6CA7 being a variant of the EL34 will have the same upper mid grind? Some say the 6CA7 is more subdued in that region while still retaining clarity and delivering that big bottle sound I'm looking for.

• Members

View Post

Yes, they have to be upgraded to be able to run the E34L's. I tried those in the Triple XXX and they sounded honky too. I guess I'm not a big fan of the EL34 mids. But my question is if the 6CA7 being a variant of the EL34 will have the same upper mid grind? Some say the 6CA7 is more subdued in that region while still retaining clarity and delivering that big bottle sound I'm looking for.

very well could be...I always tend to lean toward el34 tubes amps for that mid grind but I still do like 6l6...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by M-III View Post
*holds up hand* Present!

What do I win for the door prize??? biggrin.gif

Doh, sorry don't have much to add here other than what you have said guys...

Wait a minute, yes I do! biggrin.gif

Other than I am kinda partial to 6L6's, I like bass too much, (that is until I pop some KT66's or 6CA7's in dat bitch! biggrin.gif ) what can I say... Above all, get the damned screen resistors upgraded to 5 watt, 1K ohm resistors if you EVEN think about putting JJ E34L's in it, just to be safe.(or anything near those kinds of plate voltages, I worry that KT66's and 6CA7's may be the same way but I am not certain, I'll get back to ya)

You can tell if it's a older version by the type of Peavey logo on the front... If it's block (newer logo) logo, it's a 1st year run production amp, screen resistors are 5 watt, 100 ohm resistors. Older lighting bolt logo, 2nd year run production amp and on,(newer Triple XXX's) screen resistors have probably upgraded to 5 watt, 700 ohm resistors. Above all, DO NOT assume anything, make sure the screen resistors have been upgraded or were updated at the factory, if you plan on using anything beyond standard EL-34's or 6L6's. Have the amp inspected by a certified tech to know for sure if you are uncertain.

Here's the preamp tube configuration affecting each channel, from left to right, facing the back of the amp:

V1 - clean channel
V2 - clean, crunch and ultra channels
V3 - crunch and ultra channels
V4 - phase inverter (power amp driver, tube closest to the power tubes)

IMHO, the greatest gripe with this amp on it's distortion channels of it having too much gain is greatly solved by substituting a 12DW7(ECC832 for you Europeans) in V2 to drop it's gain. The 12DW7 is a hybrid type tube that is half a 12AX7 and a 12AU7 that will help lower the gain on the distortion so you get more "mileage" out of the gain knob and coax low gain sounds much easier.

Oh yea, if are going to pursue a cosmetic mod for the Triple XXX, keep an eye out for items under Peavey amps in the Musical Instruments section on Ebay for Triple XXX faceplate replacements, I see them on there from time to time. It's where I got mine and IMHO it's a nice change of pace from the ole trucker chicks. smile.gif See below for my mod I did!

blackfacedtriplexxx0kp.jpg

Oh well, that's all I can think of for now that hasn't already been said, I think. Enjoy!

cool.gif
I think i gots some knob painting to do...haha

• Members

I've got a XXX thru a XXX 2x12 cab. Never really had much luck finding a great tone out of the head to be honest, and it's broke a few times. (guess that's what I get for buying used)

I'm thinking about selling it, but not really sure if I could get much for it with the JSX ect

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by magh8 View Post
well it may lack originality but looks much cleaner with the black knobs
2012-01-30_19-38-15_742.jpg
Haha, not bad man! But here is a piece of advice from someone who's already tried it, I do hope you used some good primer on the knobs first! While a coat of industrial strength flat black can last a pretty good while, it's not permanent/strong enough and it will eventually start cracking and flake off... Paint will not adhere to chrome very well without a good primer coat. Yea, I learned this the hard way...

However my next suggestion is looking for some knobs HERE.

Oh yea, here's my amp with it's current "revised" look, newer semi-gloss black plate with knurled black knobs with white dimples. thumb.gif

37044256.th.jpg

• Members

haha I got a new one...I have had a peavey footswitch in my closet in the jam room for ever and have been using it with my 5152.I thought it was from a xxx and worked for both amps..well i was wrong.it is a fs for a 5152 only.so I was messing with the xxx and wanted to see something because it sounded on but a bit nasally and thin to me.I figured it is what it is.well come to find out the FX loop has been engaged and both controls set to noon.I cranked both send and return knobs and holy {censored} the amp is a new beast.so how the hell do I bypass the loop???

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by magh8 View Post
haha I got a new one...I have had a peavey footswitch in my closet in the jam room for ever and have been using it with my 5152.I thought it was from a xxx and worked for both amps..well i was wrong.it is a fs for a 5152 only.so I was messing with the xxx and wanted to see something because it sounded on but a bit nasally and thin to me.I figured it is what it is.well come to find out the FX loop has been engaged and both controls set to noon.I cranked both send and return knobs and holy {censored} the amp is a new beast.so how the hell do I bypass the loop???
TripleX_JSX_G-Sys.png

I think you jumper the pins, but default should be FX out eh? may be a bad relay if it should be "OUT", if it defaults "IN" jumper it with insulated wire, the pin is 1.5mm so 15 awg solid wire should work.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I have one question about Peavey Triple XXX 40 FX combo. I hope that you could help me. It's about white noise. Have the volume knob full down, but I can still hear the white noise. Changed all the tubes, but the white noise stays constant. Is this normal e.g. amps layout, or is there something wrong? Thx.

Regards,
JR.

Archived