World's worst guitar amplifier

Edward Yawn

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Worst SS amp I played totally unworthy of its price tag:

Ibanez ToneBlaster 100

I got stuck using one at a Battle of the Bands for a spot on the Bamboozle Tour. Nothing like trying to kick ass in front of important people and judges while the amp's humm and hiss is louder than the signal. It sounded like it was about to blow with the gain past 7. The clean channel was louder than the gain channel by far so that I would switch channels and you would only hear the "soft" parts of the sond SUPER loud and the "heavier" parts would then be lost in a mess of hum, hiss, drums, and bass. C-R-A-P.:mad:

Worst tube amp I played:

Marshall TSL60 combo.

Just horrible muffled muddy sounding with a piss poor clean channel. It was my roomates in college andI played it all the time.

BTW, I have a Crate V30 and it sounds great so not all of them are crap.

• Members

Originally posted by MetalHed

Peavey VTM 120

Sorry, been hitting the cough syrup hard this morning. I have corrected my earlier post.

understandable. well thanks for letting me know, as weirdly enough I've been wanting one lately. I hear they're good modding platforms and can get to jcm800 range pretty easily.

• Members

The old guys here might remember the Dean Markley Signature series from the 80's. Tan colored heads and cabs. GE Smith used to be in the ads for them. I had the Signature 60 model.

Anyway, piece of crap amp. Mine died a few times. It always sounded great, right before it would die.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

I will have to second this. The reason being is that those rogues and little crates cost $100 and for that money I dont care. However I dont think a ~$3000 halfstack should sound as bad as the Krank does.
:freak:

Exactly. If a $300 ss amp sounds like ass, it's kind of expected. If a $3000 amp sounds like ass, well that's a different story.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarmook

A FAB amp that I saw at a Dallas Ampfest years ago...

looked like he made the chassis out of a metal sign, bent by hand... horribly joined pine box... mismatched knobs... just a horrible POS...

Oh boy, here we go again.....:D

• Members

Oh yeah, add the Marshall TSL60 combo to that list!

They have one at the local GC, been sitting there for at least six months. After the Madison debacle I plugged in to give her another chance...

...sure enough, that's a horrible, horrible amp. And they want just under a grand for it USED.

• Members

wow... worst amp of all time. that's a tough question, cuz there are seriously some bad ones out there.

i'm sure there are some real dogs out there, but honestly I've been so obsessed with GOOD amps the last number of years, i haven't had to pay attention to the bad ones.

my vote goes to the Crate G series combos. you know the ones. from the 90's. with "FlexWave" distortion technology. good lord.... i don't know how there are so many guitar players around when these amps were most people's "first amp".

• Members

Originally posted by JonathanD

understandable. well thanks for letting me know, as weirdly enough I've been wanting one lately. I hear they're good modding platforms and can get to jcm800 range pretty easily.

I honestly think there must have been something wrong with the one that I played because other people have spoken very highly of the amp. Please don't take my experience as definitive, if you get a chance to try one out please do so, and if it actually sounds pretty good, drop me a PM that the amp sucking was specific to the one that I tried.

• Members

Originally posted by MetalHed

Worst Tube Amp I have played:

Peavey VTM 120 - I have heard people say these are good cheap tube amps. Cheap maybe, not sure how the term good applies. I wouldn't even have believed it was actually a tube amp if I didn't see tubes in it. Maybe I just plugged into a bad one, but it sounded solid state, and bad solid state at that. Make that AWFUL solid state; I honestly think the tubes were strictly ornamental.

HMMM! I wonder if it was'nt a VTX that you played through. Those were SS pre and tube power.

• Members

Originally posted by cap'n'crunch

HMMM! I wonder if it was'nt a VTX that you played through. Those were SS pre and tube power.

could be. but i've even heard those sound decent. nothing wrong with the SS pre / tube power. most designs like that are pretty good actually.

• Members

Go back in time to the late 70s....

There was an amp imported by Unicord called a 'Stage 400'. 40 Watts of ear-bleeding SS power through 2 12" Celestions (whatever was the cheapest thing Celestion made....).

I owned one, and it truly, truly sucked. I saw something that looked a lot like on in a used shop the other day - sent a chill down my spine.

Next in line might be the old Gibson Lab Series.....

• Members

changed my answer cause my original answer doesnt belong with some of the amps mentioned.

The worst amp i ever played was one of the mini marshall amps. The tiny ones. And second runner up is probably.... pignose.

Damn what a waste of cash..

• 1 month later...

Archived