World's worst guitar amplifier

Edward Yawn

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anybody here...hear what a bv-120 sounds like when you replace the pos gt-6l6gc's with some real tubes...not too shabby...heard one with all new jj's (pre and power) very dark and errie tone, unique voicing, tons better than the stock groove tubes

• Members

Originally posted by El Puppetto

MG30's are really terrible, thankfully I haven't had the experience of playing cheap crates yet.

Zakk thinks the MG Series are "Crushing"!!! Which is not to be confused with "Brewtal".

I suppose Brewtal is better than Crushing.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Alright, some of you are making me say this - there are some seriously tone deaf people posting in this forum and should probably never even consider picking up a guitar ever again. You don't deserve to even comment. Remember this - just because an amp is not you typical old guys blues amp (I'm an old guy, I can say that!), doesn't mean it isn't excellent for many other types of music. I don't get grindcore or punk for instance, but it has it's place and there is gear best suited for that. There is more to the world than Strats/Teles/Fenders/Marshalls/Mesas. Much, much more. Where should we start?

Peavey VTM120 - not only is it NOT one of the worst amps ever made, it is in fact pure greatness. Excellent pedal platform and for you tinkerers, an excellent mod platform. Most of the JMP Master Lead/JCM800 mods can be done to them. And if you choose not to mod, they still sound great straight up for hard rock. Very loud, if you are lookign for bedroom level amps to play your GFS modified teles and a bad monkey through while wearing a fedora and a Hawiian shirt when playing 12-bar blues, this is not the amp for you. It needs to be loud to get that excellent tone. By the way, I play the pre-VTM amp, the Peavey Butcher and I get compliments on my at EVERY gig. Kim Thayall of Soundgarden is a fan, listen to Badmotorfinger - yes that is a Peavey VTM120.

Sunn Beta Lead - worst amp ever made? This may be the dumbest comment in the this thread. Really? Again, I guess if you want a blues machine or some {censored} ass pop or alternative weenie machine, it's not for you. If you want a VERY loud, very reliable, built like a tank, solid state amp that has maybe some of the best reverb to be put into an amp (that works in ways people usually don't figure out, so haters of this amp might be true idiots), has two very shapable channels, and again works great with pedals, this amp is for you. It goes from 0 to as loud as a jet plane at 1 on the volume. The drive, the best part of these. Dirty, gritty, and no need to for OD or Fuzz pedals, the amp's natural "fuzz" tone is a beast. Buzz from Melvins and Red Fang agree.

All Solid State Amps? Wow.. That is **** stupid. I have solid state and tube amps, I like them both and they both have their place. Sure, a lot of low end solid state amps suck balls, but there a hell of a lot of tube amps that suck. It's context again. Sunn Beta Lead and Concert Lead, Acoustic 260 and 270 (as played by Frank Marino), Roland Jazz Chorus is a great clean platform, Ampeg SS-140/150 are great (and VH series for my other friend!), Peavey Revolution is really interesting platform (can play mixed impedence cabs with it!), and there are some more Peavey and Randlall heads that are great for heavier music.

I remember when I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s and getting into gear, Orange OR series amps (120 and 80) were considered unreliable junk. Sunn Model Ts were not wanted and could be found for peanuts at any pawn shop or second hand music shop. Those models now are desired by collectors the world over and fetch thousands of dollars sometimes. It's all context and timing. The world was all JCM800 in those days.....

Real worst amps taht I have actually played:

Crate G30: Owned it, clean, dirty, loud, quiet - sounded like a transister radio and like total ass. Horrible little amp. No application for that outside of a piece of junk in a dump.

Marshall 8100 Valvestate: I was asked to help a band up at our rehearsal studio with their guitar players sound. Guitarist had one of these through an MG 4x12 cab. Put it thorugh a better cab and that helped, but it still sounded like a bunch of bees in a can, the distortion was shrill and ice picky. Could not really dial the massive highs out of it very well. Clean channel was dull, flat, sterile. Maybe the worst amp I've personally played through. I owned a later model Valvestate for a while and while bad, nowhere near as bad as this.

And I'm going throw out the DUMBLE. Why? I've of course never played one. I am unwilling to throw out that kind of cash for something like that. I've heard about every clip out there and don't get it, the folks playing those amps can make just about any amp sound amazing - I want to hear a joe turd like me play through it and then see. Just an over priced amp. Is it good sounding - sure. Is it pure greatness and nirvana over some other amps? Not really. It's all hype.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My vote goes to the Carvin Bel Air. Although it sounds pretty good clean on channel one they couldn't have gotten channel two more wrong. The distortion is just sooooooo awful!!!! There are mods that can make it passable but in stock condition it is {censored}e!

Archived