• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Nobody mentioned the Alchemist Punisher yet, so we're lookin good so far:D

...now how far before someone mentions a Madison:eek:
:D

Best amp ever :thu:

When I hit the lotto ---- look out !!!!!!

bigrig.jpg

• Members

marshall mg series gets my vote. yuck! what a buzzy sounding pos. i had a g 50 and got rid of it. one of the guys in a band i play with has a g 30. hard to believe but it sounds even worse than the g 50. i keep telling him he should get a better sounding amp.. but he's going through a divorce and can't afford one right now.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Crate V series amps are actually very good.

My vote is the Vox AD30VT. I just don't get what people see in those things.

that amp is one of the best in it's class. For it's speaker size, price and what it is, it is awesome.

EDIT: I'm talking about the Vox

• Members

In legitimate (sp?) tests with time, a decent cab, and a decent guitar.

The worst I've ever heard:

1. el diablo genz benz 2x12 (tweaked it for a half hour)

2. Hughes and kettner warp head

3. Crate blue voodoo 120 @ guitarmageddon (lucky I played the DSL Marshall)

4. Marshall Mode Four (unreal, it's so bad. should be #1)

5. Mesa Stilletto (it sure looks cool, but dude....)

• Members

Originally posted by 1big1

marshall mg series gets my vote. yuck! what a buzzy sounding pos. i had a g 50 and got rid of it. one of the guys in a band i play with has a g 30. hard to believe but it sounds even worse than the g 50. i keep telling him he should get a better sounding amp.. but he's going through a divorce and can't afford one right now.

You mean that Zakk's endorsement in not to be trusted?

He thinks they are "crushing" which is not to be confused

with "brewtal".

Hey Yngvie endorsed Crate.

• Members

I played some sort of marshall mg halfstack at a friends house and i was astonished at how bad it sounded. I'll be to first to admit that i don't really have great ears for picking out good tone, but holy crap was that amp ever sounding bad, even after tweaking with it for a while. :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by diddlybo

The old guys here might remember the Dean Markley Signature series from the 80's. Tan colored heads and cabs. GE Smith used to be in the ads for them. I had the Signature 60 model.

Anyway, piece of crap amp. Mine died a few times. It always sounded great, right before it would die.

I remember seeing those, but I was lucky enough to avoid playing it...

• Members

The worst amp I ever played was the first one I ever had:

maybe SOMEONE, ANYONE can help me identify who made these things.

It was a brand called "Hot Cabs" and were like $100, new, for a solid-state 15 watter. "What a STEAL!" my dad thought at the time. I was wishing for the Marshall stack in the corner.... nope.

The pots had approximately zero adjustment range - I mean, bass at 0 and bass at 10 was about the same.

By the time I traded it back to the same store (for 1/2 the price - not bad!), the volume pot spun around forever with no stop, and the "Overdrive" button wouldn't stay clicked in. I hadn't played it in eight or so years. Spiders were living behind the speakers. I couldn't BELIEVE they accepted it on trade-in...!

Worst amp ever, though.

• Members

The worst amp I have ever OWNED was the Marshall Valvestate 8100. Compared to what some people have said about it, mine may have been defective. But, I did have it serviced by a tech and he said that it everything was fine with it. I don't know what the condition was because I'm not a tech, go figure. It just sounded horrible, the cleans were sterile and cold, and the distortion was piercing, sharp, and lacked definition.

And for the price/sound ratio I would say the Krank Dime sig. That's the only Krank I've played and I thought it sounded horrible. Now, that's not to say someone else won't like it because sound is subjective. Other than I would say the low end Line6 combos and I mean the lowest end and smallest form factor ones.

• Members

Originally posted by Jarick

Pretty much any solid state 10 - 15 watt "practice" amp. They're all really bad.

Line 6 stuff is pretty bad, as are the Vox modeling amps.

As far as overrated tube amps...

The Fender Hot Rods are very mediocre.

And the Mesa Boogie Stilleto is just plain terrible. Nothing like grainy, spitty distortion on a $1500 amp.

i agreed, essecially on those stilletos, they're horrible, i also really not a recto fan, i mean compared to most amps its ok but for the money being paid, its just a rip off

Archived