High-End Capos...Anyone Using Them?

Jere Mealer

• Members

I find myself using a capo more and more on my 12 string. Been using a Kyser, but I'm sure I could do better. Started shopping around and, woh! I thought the G7 was pricey at $40, but then I ran across Elliott capos ($110) and BMF capos ($100), as well as Crary capos ($65-$70). Who knows what else is out there.

Do these outperform the others? Is this a gimmick? What are you folks using?

• Members

Originally posted by owd200

What the hell? A capo is like....a little clamp that basically runs a barre across a fret, right?

How the hell can anyone charge $100 for that?
:confused:

My thoughts exactly. I have two kyser capos and they work great. There's no point in getting anything more expensive. Your kyser clamps on quickly, easily and securely. What else do you need?

• Members

Depending on your neck type, the kyser type of capo can pull your guitars intonation out of whack.

I have some that a kyser will work and some where it won't.

I do have a G7 that I use in performance. It's a great capo, fast and tension is adjustable without a wheel.

For the rest of my guitars I use an adjustable shubb.

I don't know about the others mentioned, but I can't see myself spending $100 on a capo.

• Members

I bought a Shubb for my 12 string, but could never get the low E strings to not buzz. Bought the Kyser 12 string and it clamps all the strings OK, but does change the tuning on the high and low E strings (4), which is a pain to retune.

Does G7 make a 12 string model? Anyone used it on a 12 string adn would it solve my problems?

• 14 years later...
  • Members

Here’s one for 175.  Yikes. Elliot.

you could try ElderlyInstruments.com, they’ve usually got it all.  Not good when you spend $100 on something like this and they go belly up.  One of the other replacement sleeves is bound to fit, and they are pretty cheap.

I use a few Shubb, one longer for 12 string.  You know, for when I get one, I’ll be prepared 😄.  

image.jpeg.2b901db4d040f083ee4ae5bd7495a8f3.jpegi

• Members
On 2/23/2020 at 4:59 AM, DeepEnd said:

I'm a Shubb fan but I also like my D'Addario/Planet Waves, especially when I need to move it around or clamp it to the headstock.

PW_Capo.jpg.727c62b8cb3df5c0c1d5786159101e06.jpg

Agreed. Bonus of clamping on head stock is it keeps tuners etc off flat surface. Pin on hinge did come out, so had to do slight repair of getting back in. Finish coming off too, but this is Thailand... I also have Shubbs, like those too.

• Members
10 hours ago, Mikeo said:

Pretty. I don't know how good they are.

https://www.thaliacapos.com/collections/capos

I bought a Thalia and hated it.  It was too clunky for me and it impeded my ability to fret.  I gave it away to a friend. My favorite is the Shubb  plus I use a Planet Waves/D'Addario NS Capo for the rare occasions when I have to capo up at the ninth fret.

• Members
1 hour ago, Nabisco said:

I bought a Thalia and hated it.  It was too clunky for me and it impeded my ability to fret.  I gave it away to a friend. My favorite is the Shubb  plus I use a Planet Waves/D'Addario NS Capo for the rare occasions when I have to capo up at the ninth fret.

Good to know, as they are pretty costly.

I have a G7 that was given to me by a friend, he hated it.

I have plenty of capos. I tend to use Kyser on acoustic and Shubbs, on electrics. Broke a spring on a Kyser and they want more money to replace that spring, than they are new. 

• Members
8 hours ago, Nabisco said:

That stopped me.  Nice looking though.  I usually put something in the “cart” and wait till they email me asking if I was forgetting something.  Sometimes the site will add 10-15% off to persuade.  

• Members
3 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

That stopped me.  Nice looking though.  I usually put something in the “cart” and wait till they email me asking if I was forgetting something.  Sometimes the site will add 10-15% off to persuade.  

Yeah, they gave me the discount and it didn't change how I feel about it.  To be fair, the friend I gave it to uses the Thalia, so it works for some folks.  I prefer a capo that is minimally intrusive and the Shubb and the Planet Waves NS both fit that bill.

• Members

I use the Planet Waves NS and the Shubb capos. I keep a Shubb half capo pretty busy these days as well. I keep the NS capo on the 2nd fret of my steel string, full time, because I tune that one down a full step to take advantage of the extra real estate 2 frets up. Big fingertips, I need it despite a 1-3/4 nut width. I use a Shubb straight capo on the classical. My son bought one of those spring-loaded clamp types, hated it and stole one of my Shubbs so I'm down one. I bought the G7 but it felt weak. I gave it away years ago to JT, IIRC.

• Members
21 hours ago, Emory said:

Agreed. Bonus of clamping on head stock is it keeps tuners etc off flat surface. Pin on hinge did come out, so had to do slight repair of getting back in. Finish coming off too, but this is Thailand... I also have Shubbs, like those too.

Interesting. I posted last year about the hinge pin coming out of mine as well. Seems to be a weak point of an otherwise good design. No paint coming off yet though. 🤞

Archived