What's your crappiest guitar?

therichardsgang

• Members

Tak G Series - nice neck but it sounds like it's made from Balsa wood or something.....terrible - but I fell for the black finish and fake abalone inlay.....

I take it yours isn't a solid wood "G" series. I got a "G" series and love it. Solid cedar top,mahogany sides and back. Not the best tone unplugged,but plug in to a acoustic amp and it sounds great.

• Members

Hi,Before you decide to trash the epi please consider giving it to Snow City Arts Foundation or Medtar...

That's a nice thought, but really the bridge is going to come flying off at any minute. I'll check around and see if any suitable organization is interested, though.

• Members

This "thing" is called a Montana it was a x-mas gift for y oldest son about 10 years ago.It was a last minute gift that i paid too much for.I was told this was made in Eastern europe(Romania?).It was a playable beginners instrument till summer hit and the bridge came unglued and the neck warped.Of course there's no truss rod in this pos.

I got it out of mothballs this winter(it was living in the garage) I put a set of .9 gauge electric strings that I had laying around to see if it could be made playable.....It can't.My wife won't let me hang it on the wall lol.2003_0202mont0001.JPG

• Members

My crappiest guitar is also my best guitar.

It's my only guitar.

It's a Yamaha FG-431S.

Ahhh quit yer whinin' Wait till next year........

Just kidding buddy, life goes on....Just think you got a new kid you can play with.

• Members

Ahhh quit yer whinin' Wait till next year........

Just kidding buddy, life goes on....Just think you got a new kid you can play with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my guitar. I was just pointing out that some folks (me) only have one guitar. ;)

• Members

My absolute worst guitar is a no-name guitar that I bought from Montgomery Ward for $20 as my first guitar. Nothing good to say about it except that it was my first guitar. In second place is my Alvarez RD10 beater. Sounds okay fingerpicked (which is a shame since I can't fingerpick especially well) but very brash strummed. Build quality is very poor. Has some kind of yellow varnish or something on the top, which simply makes it look cheap. If you look inside, the grain on the sides runs at right angles to the grain on the outside. Bought it on eBay and almost swore off eBay for good.

• Members

I have this Yamaha classical. I guess it was decent like ten years ago when my sister got it. She decided guitar wasn't for her, into the basement it went. I got it out last summer, oooh man. It was screwed up to the point of barely playable. Put some new strings on it and that kinda helped. It lived in the corner, sometimes played. Then I took it to a friend's house for the weekend. When I left I slipped and fell hardcore on some ice :rolleyes: (guitar didn't have a case) So now not only does it sound bad, it basically looks dead. Oh and it hurt too...

The rest of my guitars are great! :wave:

• Members

What's my crappiest guitar?

I don't know. That question requires me to decide

what my best guitar is. I don't know the answer

to that either.

I own 3 guitars. One of them would be the crappiest.

One of them would be the best. One of them would be

in the middle.

Or perhaps, they are all three equally crappy

or equally wonderful.

Maple Dreadnaught is the best for recording.

But it's loaded down with bling.

I just bought a Mahogany archtop. No bling.

I can't say how crappy it is though. I'm having

Schallers put on it & haven't brought it home yet.

I also just bought a Cutaway jumbo Indian Rosewood

B&S and Cedar top. A month ago, it was my crappiest

guitar because a luthier's apprentice had cracked the top

hammering on my fretboard.

Now it's the most beautiful guitar I own.

But maybe it's still the crappiest. I don't know.

• Members
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my guitar. I was just pointing out that some folks (me) only have one guitar.
;)

If I get home anytime soon, I'll send you my Applause or my Hofner travel electric if you want, just to make you feel better. 'course you'll have to pay the shipping which will make it less than a sterling deal....:eek:

• Members

I don't really have a guitar right now that I'd describe as crappy, though I've owned a few. The two worst were a 1999 Fender Clapton Strat and a 1998 American Deluxe (and this is from a certified Strat lover). Those were two really crappy guitars (not the model lines, just these two particular examples).

• Members

If I get home anytime soon, I'll send you my Applause or my Hofner travel electric if you want, just to make you feel better. 'course you'll have to pay the shipping which will make it less than a sterling deal....
:eek:

:lol:

My long term goal is to pick up a solid wood OM sized guitar. I'm leaving my options open at this point since I have a long time to decide.

• Members

Acoustic - Seagul Parlor. High Action, body is too small to sit down and play, sounds like a cigar box, cedar top is gnawed up gnarly like. I have no reservations taking it on an airplane with me, as I often do. The previous owner installed an under bridge PUP and it sounds pretty good, the rare case when an acoustic sounds better amplified then not.

Electric - Gibson Les Paul studio. This is actually a pretty nice guitar, but its my worst electric. Sounds kinda muddy, very heavy, {censored}ty frets, sloppy build, but it does the LP thing really well. My $100 yamaha pacifica is immaculate in comparison. The Godins that i own/owned have put it completely to shame.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Tak G Series - nice neck but it sounds like it's made from Balsa wood or something.....terrible - but I fell for the black finish and fake abalone inlay.....

Yeah - I didn't care for any of the G series I've ever tried. IMO my old F series is a pretty good instrument in comparison, even given that it's seen better days.

• Members

A Suziki Three S that I gave to someone as a gift ten years ago and they gave back to me a week later. :D It's been sitting in a corner, untouched all this time and about five years ago the bridge separated and is about to pop off. I don't know whether it's worth taking it in to have the bridge reglued, or not.

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my guitar. I was just pointing out that some folks (me) only have one guitar.
;)

I'm right there with you, Hud!

I have one acoustic--it's a Korean Gretsch Synchromatic folk sized guitar. It's actually quite beautiful to look at and doesn't play or sound half bad. It was a $70 pawn shop score.

I also have one electric that is a frankenstein some of the good guys and gals at the EG forum pitched in and sent to me-- jjpistols had the guitar, other people contributed $$$ to have it shipped, another couple sent me a small practice amp and YOU (if I'm not mistaken) either supplied me with a nice cable or a little headphone amp.

It was such a great gesture, but to tell you the truth, I got so used to being acoustic-only that I rarely play it.

Someday soon I'll get a second acoustic--a slightly better one. I also sometimes hanker for a resonator guitar or a tenor acoustic, but essentially I no longer suffer from GAS.

• Members

teisco.jpg

This is an old tiesco I bought with a crappy Alamo tube amp for $125 in 1990. I've installed a better GFS pup in the bridge, a new neck, and a LP type PUP switch. It sounded the best of bunch in the pawn shop for the price. It played a sweet D9 at the 5th fret and called to me.

These sold for $16 in 1967.

I leveled the frets and set the action low. It sounds and plays decent. This is my beater guitar to extend the fret life of my other guitars.

I discovered that daily aggressive playing will wear down your frets in no time.

I focus on playing lighter these days for the sake of my guitar AND hands.

• Members

i had a washburn d-12s i didn't like, and sold it to someone who likes it a lot. i've still got a tak g series, which i'm selling, but because it's righty. other than that, it's my seagull m6 and my new larrivee d-03. both are great.

Archived