What's your crappiest guitar?

therichardsgang

• Members

and I don't mean the most bashed!

Mine is a half sized classical. Made in China in the mid 1990's of "cardboard" and plywood. Tone is awful, action is uncomfortably high, it won't stay in tune for more than a couple of minutes. Tuning goes out as I fret the strings - in fact it's a good semitone sharp at the 12th fret! It's a real sod to play.

Why do I keep it? - at the time my (then 4 year old) daughter wanted to pay guitar "just like daddy". We were penniless Bible college students at the time and it was all we could afford. It's no wonder she switched to violin.

What's yours like - and why on earth do you keep it?

• Members

It is a 1984 Hondo Tradition Model 18. Take away the black painted face of the headstock and change the name to Sigma, it is infact a the same as a Sigma DM.

It has Grovers and and laminated spruce top. Like some of those old Yamahas, this guitar does not sound like a laminated top guitar at all.

It is in good condition from an aesthetic standpoint.

It has very good tone and lots of bass response. It still plays well with a very playable action. It is loud and reasonably articulate. I have heard many guitars that are just junk compared to it. I have one friend who just loves it at campfire time.

It's days are numbered and I keep it tuned to a D, rather than an E, and strung with 12-53s, since I do not want to bring about a premature end to it. The saddle is as low as it is going to go, the truss rod is maxed out, and it needs a neck reset.

I have no fear of taking it to the beach, playing in the hot sun with it, or around a campfire, or letting anyone play it, regardless of belt buckles or brass buttons. The Laminated top does not seem to be affected by temperature extremes.

It cost me less than $125.00, including a Hard Case, so spending any money on it is out of the question. I figure that case is worth $50.00.

I have a nice Washburn 2004 WD32SW Blem,(it is destined to be my future Beach Beater), and a great 1999 Simon & Patrick Mahogany Cedar as my daily beaters, but they are too nice to go to the Beach.

I love having a couple of Beater guitars since they help me keep my more expensive guitars pristine.

The Hondo is at the Cottage for the season and I usually take one of the other two along for the weekend or during a week at the beach.

:thu:

• Members

I had a sunburst Nova. It is a guitar intended for friggin around with. I wish I had pictures, the bridge was coming unglued, hanging by a thread, the tuning machines were loose as a goose, and as it was my first guitar, I quickly discovered, when it says Nylon strings only, its because bridge will pop off at any given time. It was the middle of the night and it was a huge "BANG!", took me a day to figure out it was my guitar. The action was a mile high and it had no adjustable truss rod.

The inside of the sound hole made it look like it had a serial number, but it was a stamped model number. I think everyone should start with a piece of crap like this, my finger strength was ready for anything when I was done with it and I had a real appreciation for a good quality instrument when I was done.

My wife had to bring out my Xmas gift early an AJ15 Epi which I love and treat much better.

• Members

My crappiest guitar is one of my favorites.It's a 97 fender dg-11..I picked it up at a damaged freight store for $15.00 new in 97..The neck was busted clear off the body.It broke at the heal seam and came clean off the body.It did a little damage to the soundhole binding too.I fixed the neck,set it up and been playing it ever since.It had a satin finish and I've polished it out to semi gloss.I've also added a soundboard pickup and jack.This thing has made it through some stuff..It play's like a electric and has put many a high dollar guitar to shame....

• Members

I have two that tie each other for being crappy - an old mid 70's Heit about a 00 size - bridge picking up ( needs some work ) even if it was whole it would still be a fireplace guitar . The second is a 81 Fender classical , that looks like a million dollars but sounds like its made out of cardboard . So if anyone is having a bon fire anywhere close to me Ill bring the firewood and you bring the Hotdogs !

• Members

A&L AMI It's my beater travel guitar. It's still in new condition and is fun to play. Doesn't hold a candle to any of my other guitars but still has a mojo that makes me want to play it sometimes. :wave:

• Members

th_guitarclock.jpg[/url]

This was a very crappy guitar, but it's a great clock for my downstairs workshop/studio. It's a Kingston!:thu:

Who knew people would pay good money for stuff like this on Ebay? Certainly not me when I "clockified" this thing several years ago. Actually I enjoy it as a conversation piece.

I also have an old Hohner acoustic that I got a few years back for a campfire guitar. I answered an ad that read " Guitar, black. Stays in tune. $60."

The ad was entirely true. Notice it mentioned nothing about tone.

I do loan it out regularly to anyone who says to me "Ya know, I've always wanted to learn how to play guitar." I hand 'em the Hohner and say "Here, knock yourself out!"

For some reason it keeps coming back to me.;)

• Members

I have a 1974? Kay K-401 cheapo laminate 3/4 (roughly 00) sized flat top steel string guitar. It has no truss rod and 3 on a plate tuners on a paddle-type headstock (as opposed to slot-head type) and the action is for {censored}.

It was originally my mother's guitar which she bought new and paid simething like $30 for it. She got frustrated and quit when her Joan Baez phase ended so I adopted it. She noticed and made me take lessons. Even then the action was bad which is what made me take up electric. It wasn't until recently that I discovered that acoustics can be made to play with a minimum of discomfort.

Anyway, I put new tuners on it a couple of years back and have Martin SP Fingerstyle PB's on it, which are several months old and deader than a doornail. Still, with a little determination - and a desire to flirt with carpotunel syndrome - it can be a decent little blues box. Here's a clip:

http://media.putfile.com/Windy-and-Warm

• Members

a very junky Washburn. It sounded like a cardboard box with rubber bands attached to it.

I also had a junky Washburn (D10 N).

Put a little money into it, & now I use it as my Open "D" guitar.

• Members

My crappiest is my classical that bought for $60. Ironically, I play it the most because it's the only one I leave just lying around the house. So its always accessible.

eor considered buying a baby taylor or some crappy guitar to leave lying around because:

a- that's the only way i play, if i leave one lying around

b- my acoustic gets dried out and dinged up from being out all day

my "crappiest" i played for 9 years; a 95 epiphone lp special ii. threw in some seymour duncans and split the neck pup. too much love and magic in that guitar to get rid of it. have an old teisco which is really neat but the action is too high and the tuning is too tempremental, especially if you use the tremolo. would rule for slide, though.

love,

eor

• Members

No doubt, it's the Epiphone PR-100 lurking in the background in the picture below. I bought it as a beater to play when my son, then two, was around. It was tolerable then, but the top is now bowing, and the bridge is coming unglued. I'm trying to decide whether to go all Pete Townshend on it or just to leave it out with the trash.

Bad as this is, I once had worse: a Russian-made plywood 3/4 size guitar that I bought for 20 pounds when I spent a summer in England in the mid-80s. Wow, was that thing awful

acoustics1.jpg

• Members

No doubt, it's the Epiphone PR-100 lurking in the background in the picture below. I bought it as a beater to play when my son, then two, was around. It was tolerable then, but the top is now bowing, and the bridge is coming unglued. I'm trying to decide whether to go all Pete Townshend on it or just to leave it out with the trash.

Bad as this is, I once had worse: a Russian-made plywood 3/4 size guitar that I bought for 20 pounds when I spent a summer in England in the mid-80s. Wow, was that thing awful

acoustics1.jpg

Hi,Before you decide to trash the epi please consider giving it to Snow City Arts Foundation or Medtar...

• Members

I have an EKO Acoustic Archtop from the 60s. It's in very good condition, stays in tune, is properly intonated and sounds like a toy. I loaned it to my nephew, a six year old, 'cause he's interested and the thing, although not very heavy, is built strong, with laminates.

Archived