The importance of a good instrument

slodge

• Members

My first guitar was a $100 Alvarez Regent, a perfectly good starter guitar. Later on I added an Ovation and an amp, thinking I would be playing out more. Both of these have been good to me and I've no cause to complain.

Earlier this year, however, after 25 years of playing, I finally treated myself to a Martin (D16R) and am amazed at the difference.

Everything I play sounds better - three string chords are fuller, single notes ring out more, barres are cleaner (and even when they're not, they're more forgiving.)

Because of this, I'm encouraged to play more which also makes everything sound better, and I can't help wondering: How much better would I be today if I had somehow found the money for this instrument 10-15 years ago?

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

• Members

Much as I love great instruments, I disagree completely. Though I too get inspired to play by nice instruments, to become a great guitarist you don't really have time to worry about that sort of stuff. And, as with writing, if you stuck around waiting for inspiration you'd never get anything done.

• Members

Yep. That's the way it works, as far as I've experienced it. I'm not about to embark on any 20/20 hindsight self butt kicking because the reality of it is I couldn't afford those high end guitars "back then". I did buy a Martin D-35 when I was 19. It cost me $735.00 w/HSC - a lot of dough at the time - but the guitar's neck warped twice and I sold it after I got it back the second time from Martin. In those days Martin was going through a rough spot with their QC.

If I had a great guitar through the years I might be playing better now, or at least had the right tool for it, but I stopped playing for 25 years. Guess I couldn't find the inspiration. I'm back at it now and the first thing I did was search for what sounded and felt right for me. So, I have to agree with you about going the $$ distance. There is some vanity in there somewhere but, by and large, when a person has the means and is serious about playing he/she should get the guitar that best suits them.

• Members

It depends on the definition of "good". If "good" means a very expensive, famous name guitar (which of course probably would be good), then my answer would be no.

But if "good" means a well set up guitar, well made using good woods and components, then my answer would be yes.

Good set up is the key really - a low priced guitar, made from laminates, may not sound as good as a solid wood guitar (although many laminates actually sound very good) but, if it is set up well, can be a perfectly good instrument.

• Members

The most important feature of any guitar is that you enjoy playing it. If one guitar brings you more enjoyment than another, if it inspires you to improve and calls more to your soul, then it is worth having. Not because the guitar is inherently better, but because you are better when playing it.

• Members

The most important feature of any guitar is that you enjoy playing it. If one guitar brings you more enjoyment than another, if it inspires you to improve and calls more to your soul, then it is worth having. Not because the guitar is inherently better, but because you are better when playing it.

Perfect!! I am so tempted to pirate that for a sig line!

• Members

Because of this, I'm encouraged to play more which also makes everything sound better, and I can't help wondering: How much better would I be today if I had somehow found the money for this instrument 10-15 years ago?

Buying new instruments makes people better players! Yeah I said it! It's been argued/debated on this forum before but I'm going to go ahead and say that yes a new instrument will make you better overall.

The question is why?

I think I am a much better player since I got my Martin. This is because I was so damn excited at finally getting one I played the snot out of it until my fingers blistered. Then I played some more. New instruments breathe new life into most peoples desire to play and to improve as a player. I still look at my Martin and think it's too good a guitar for my meager skill level and it makes me want to practice. Be ware though.. It wears off a little after awhile.

Also give it a couple months and then play your Ovation with a new set of strings. It will sound better then it has in years because you can appreciate the differences in the tones more now. I thought I'ld never play my EPI again once I got the Martin but they both get almost equal playing time.

• Members

If you're a good enough guitar player, I think buying a "better" guitar than what you currently own will make you a better player, or at least sound like one. If you're a crappy guitar player, you will be crappy on whatever guitar you buy.

Ellen

• Members

Good set up is the key really - a low priced guitar, made from laminates, may not sound as good as a solid wood guitar (although many laminates actually sound very good) but, if it is set up well, can be a perfectly good instrument.

Couldn't agree more. There have been times when I've gotten the Alvarez set up and it came back sounding and feeling like a new guitar.

That being said, however, a $100 instrument (even adjusted for 25 years of inflation) will never sound like a $1200 one, set up or no.

I also agree with all the comments about it being more the player than the instrument. But I think that no matter how good James Taylor might sound on an Alvarez Regent, he'd probably sound better on a Martin D16R. (or in my case, however mediocre I may be on the Martin, I am even more mediocre on the Alvarez.)

• Members

Do I agree with everything that has been said above? yes

A guitar is a tool, and like any tools, there are quality ones and not so quality ones, and there are good ones and bad ones. A quality tool is not necessarily a good tool, a not quality tool is not necessarily a bad one.

I would rather use an old beat up but very sharp chisel than a brand new one that doesn't fit my hand when I carve braces, and I would rather play an old beat up plywood cheapie that is perfectly set up than a brand new guitar that isn't. But as Ellen pointed out, in my hands either will sound crappy.

• Members

If you're a good enough guitar player, I think buying a "better" guitar than what you currently own will make you a better player, or at least sound like one. If you're a crappy guitar player, you will be crappy on whatever guitar you buy.

Ellen

Yeah, but my crappiness sounds alot better on my HD-28 or OM-03R than it does on the Alvarez RD-8 I keep in my office!! OK--maybe I am rationalizing a little...

Let's face, it...I am a complete and total fraud.:cry: Thanks Ellen, now I can begin the healing.

• Members

With one sidebar, I agree withe the OP. When I bought a Taylor 310, the cheapest they had at the time, I was blown away by how much better I played. Dramatic difference. To me, anyway. It actually wasn't that much difference maybe but the 5% better seemed to be dramatic.

The best guitar I ever played (which was after the above) was a Martin D41. Another quantam leap in playability. Three grand, out of my league. People said it was likely a top notch setup. Whatever it was, it played like butter and I could fly on that thing.

The sidebar... the Asian acoustics lately are amazing. I have a Fullerton Batsto that I paid $100 for new, on closeout, that is the best guitar I've owned. Playability AND tone. But I have postulated that if I *could* afford a $3,000 Martin with a great setup, that would be the ultimate. The Fullerton is nice but it's not what that Martin was.

• Members

Well put.

• Members

Let's face, it...I am a complete and total fraud.
:cry:
Thanks Ellen, now I can begin the healing.

Aw you're not rationalizing! It's true! My crappy playing has better tone on better guitars too! But it's still not good playing, though sometimes I try to trick myself into thinking a really expensive guit will solve my problems. Really, playing expensive guitars shows me how much better I can be. When, I can't quite get a passage right on my Washburn, I still can't get it right on the fancy-looking Breedlove I try at GC, or whatever.

Ellen

• Members

A better instrument earlier on in one's "evolutionary chart" would help. Or could help.

But I believe this question has an "existential" angle to it as well, at least, maybe in my mind and/or in my own case.

And that is: to have been able to have what I couldn't have would mean that by extension other things would (could) have been different -back then- in my life too. M

As such, I think the difference in my musical "outcome" today is greater than that which could be attributed to simply having had a more expensive guitar as opposed to a cheaper one.

• Members

Price/quality is'nt the thing, IMO. It's whether or not the damned thing is playable. How the heck can a n00b get anywhere if the action is high?

I was given a nice Yamaha 150 as a kid. The action was terrible, I hated the thing. So I took my chances and played my sister's guitar when she was'nt around...I got in a lot of trouble for that, she's four years older than I, but it was worth it.

So, IMO, for safety's sake...

• Members

Doesn't judging the importance of a good instrument require a repertoire of developed aural and playing skills that cannot, by its very diverse and personal nature, be homogenized here? One person's ear and playing skills may be far and away advanced over another's yet both will exchange in a freeze-framed moment opinions about the importance of a good instrument. Opinions must change as sure as each person becomes better skilled. So, is it appropriate that we attempt a judgement call about what is, much less having, a good instrument?

• Members

When it gets down to it, there's pretty much two levels -three, if you count useless, unplayable pieces of {censored}.

When you're learning to play, having a functional instrument is of prime importance. Action is reasonable, it plays in tune up the neck, frets are dressed reasonably.

Getting past the part of 'index finger frets fifth string on second fret' sound quality becomes important. Does the instrument transmit the nuance of the pick/finger stroke to the level you desire.

Past this, it's all shades of gray.

Archived