Went to my second local open mic last night

kwakatak

• Members

Even though I've been playing for most of my life I rarely get to play in front of groups. The first time wasn't all that bad, but I knew I could do better. This time I wanted to get back up there and even try something a little different. Last time I sang and strummed but this time I wanted to try out some fingerstyle. In order to do that I felt that I needed better amplification and since my Larrivee has no pickup installed (yet) I asked the shop owner if I could "borrow" one of his acoustic/electric OM's and he let me use a Martin OMC-16E Koa. It felt a little strange but I enjoyed playing it. As a bonus, the organizer of the open mic set up a reverb pedal to help out.

All in all I'm glad I went. I still had some jitters and the flubs tripped me up a couple of times but I had the most fun afterwards. It felt as if a weight had been lifted and I felt more at ease as I talked with some of the people there afterwards.

• Members

Good job. You should feel proud.

I envy you. I've been playing for over 30 years and performing for over 20. But I can't do the solo thing. I have to have at least one other person to play off of. My few solo performances have stunk on ice.

My greatest wish is to get over this.

Keep up the good work.

• Members

Thanks, everybody. :)

It's good to get out there and get some fresh perspective. My family hardly bats an eye when I play around the house so it's hard to tell and I end up judging myself against the original recordings. IMO I still have a ways to go, but mostly in the whole "personality" department; I tend to get this "deer in the headlights" look when I play outside of my "comfort zone".

Another good thing I discovered is that there's another open mic nearby that's on alternating Fridays. I may check them out but it'll take some doing because I'll be flying solo and the kids are more than one person can handle.

Excellent Neil!!!! That's a great venue to play. Do the provied video/audio recording? is their a fee? KEEP GOING. That's the only way to break the mental wall.

Hey, Mike! Good to see you around!

Nope, no fee. I suppose I could hit the guy up for a copy of the video. He keeps the camera on and will post it on Youtube only after we sign a waiver.

• Members
Nice job Neil.
:thu:

I watched your first video too. It was good too. You should put the link up here.

No fingerstyle; strictly singing/strumming. Not included was my first attempt at Angelina. I lost my place halfway through, even though I'd been playing that song for over a year. Jitters make you do weird things even if it doesn't show otherwise.

• Members

Kwak; you rock, dude.

I've been going to the open mic @ a coffehouse in SE Michigan for a while now & it has definitely gotten easier over the weeks. Plus, I am playing a regular 90 minute gig in the lobby of the U of M hospital on weekends. Oddly, this is easier than the Open Mic, where you gotta hop up there and do your thing pretty much out of the box. Conversely, I warm up a bit before I bring up the vol @ the Hospital lobby.

You have a real nice touch on the guitar and you hang on all the right notes, which reveals a lot of emotion in your playing.

Thumbs up, Neil.

• Members

Queequeg--

Where does your name come from. It quite similar to "weequahic"(pronounced: week-wake), a Lenni-Lenapi word.

-FF

FAQ:

Queequeg?

Queequeg is the headhunter, and lead harpooneer with the facial tattoos in Herman Melville's "Moby Dick". I'm not a headhunter & I don't have any facial tattoos, but he was my favorite character in this classic 19th century novel.

I've spent a lot of time on (and under) boats, and have a keen interest in cetaceans, although not in hunting or eating them. I used to do a lot of whale-watching, and I am a PADI divemaster.

Queequeg is the sobriquet I use on a few guitar forums.

Queequeg.gif

Archived