Went to my second local open mic last night

kwakatak

• Members

Cool. I knew I recognized the look and sound of the word from somewhere. Melville.

The Lenni-Lenapi translation of "weequaick" is "head of the cove".

I'm from New Jersey and a section of Newark was called Weequaick. There was a Weequaic Diner along Route 22.

Then again, there was that great, mad, sea captain character Humphrey Bogart played in "The Caine Mutiny": Captain Queeg.

I ramble and babble.

• Members

Cool. I knew I recognized the look and sound of the word from somewhere. Melville.

The Lenni-Lenapi translation of "weequaick" is "head of the cove".

I'm from New Jersey and a section of Newark was called Weequaick. There was a Weequaic Diner along Route 22.

Then again, there was that great, mad, sea captain character Humphrey Bogart played in "The Caine Mutiny": Captain Queeg.

I ramble and babble.

The Caine Mutiny. great film. I used to collect all the Bogart films. African Queen still a favorite.

There's so much similarity in Capt Queeg & (new to me) weequaick and Melville's Queequeg, I think it can't just be coincidence.

Your avatar looks familiar to me, Fred Fartboski. Like one of the Flying Karamazov Brothers, maybe...

Sorry about the thread hijack.

Kwak, when do you go back to Open Mic again (back on topic!)

• Members

The Caine Mutiny. great film. I used to collect all the Bogart films.
African Queen
still a favorite.

There's so much similarity in Capt Queeg & (new to me) weequaick and Melville's Queequeg, I think it can't just be coincidence.

Your avatar looks familiar to me, Fred Fartboski. Like one of the Flying Karamazov Brothers, maybe...

Looks like Meher Baba to me.

• Members

The Caine Mutiny. great film. I used to collect all the Bogart films.
African Queen
still a favorite.

That's OK, Queequeg,

I was listening to a podcast on autism (Speaking of Faith with Krista Tippett: Being Autistic, Being Human) and it occurred to me how self-centered this thread really is, which kind of defeats the whole reason I went to the open mic to begin with. I was actually trying to find a way to connect with the other people there and not just get up there as a form of recital, because that's what a good performer should do IMO: find a common interest with the audience.

*sigh* baby steps, I guess. In order to connect with someone else you need to be more comfortable with who you are I suppose. In that this was a small victory as I was not nearly as self-aware while I was playing. Self-involved, maybe... :-/

Anyway, I'm gonna try and go to another open mic this Friday. I know nothing about it other than it's at a coffee house and the organizers of the open mic are a musical group who project a sort of Bohemian aire.

Sorry folks, this is what happens when you have trouble connecting with the outside world. It took having my son diagnosed with autism to realize that I was a little too comfortable living a solitary lifestyle.

• Members

That's OK, Queequeg,

I was listening to a podcast on autism (Speaking of Faith with Krista Tippett: Being Autistic, Being Human) and it occurred to me how self-centered this thread really is, which kind of defeats the whole reason I went to the open mic to begin with. I was actually trying to find a way to connect with the other people there and not just get up there as a form of recital, because that's what a good performer should do IMO: find a common interest with the audience.

*sigh* baby steps, I guess. In order to connect with someone else you need to be more comfortable with who you are I suppose. In that this was a small victory as I was not nearly as self-aware while I was playing. Self-involved, maybe... :-/

Anyway, I'm gonna try and go to another open mic this Friday. I know nothing about it other than it's at a coffee house and the organizers of the open mic are a musical group who project a sort of Bohemian aire.

Sorry folks, this is what happens when you have trouble connecting with the outside world. It took having my son diagnosed with autism to realize that I was a little too comfortable living a solitary lifestyle.

hey, Kwak, back on Sept 30th (post #20) Speaking of Faith.

(from your thread, Acoustic guitar as a behavioral therapy tool)

Glad you liked it.

• Members
Thanks, everybody.
:)

It's good to get out there and get some fresh perspective. My family hardly bats an eye when I play around the house so it's hard to tell and I end up judging myself against the original recordings. IMO I still have a ways to go, but mostly in the whole "personality" department; I tend to get this "deer in the headlights" look when I play outside of my "comfort zone".

No way! You just seem to be focussed on the job. I like it how you simply go on and not let yourself be distracted by minor glitches, where other people would smile apologetically at the audience (which I DO find annoying). It sounds (and looks) just fine.

• Members

That's OK, Queequeg,

(...)

Yeah well; maybe you wouldn't have spent so much time on music trying to find a way to express or recognize your emotions when you wouldn't have any trouble at all connecting with the outside world. And then you wouldn't have played the guitar so well as you do now. Art, and music especially, expresses that which can't be said. And you do it very well.

• Members

That's OK, Queequeg,

Stay cool neil. Its a marathon not a mile.

Phil

• Members

hey, Kwak, back on

(from your thread,
Acoustic guitar as a behavioral therapy tool
)

Glad you liked it.

Yeah, I just listened to that one today which is why I'm in this mindset. I had it in the background as I was playing with Justin this morning. I may listen to it again some evening after everyone's gone to bed.

• Members

Way to go Neil. You will make that connection if you want to--it took me awhile, but now after over a year of weekly three-song sets, I feel pretty good up there. Each time you do this, it will get noticeably less freaky.

From my experience as an open-miker and an audience member, it seems that one of the key ingredients is eye contact. Performers who stay too much "inside" themselves--even if they play/sing impressively--usually don't connect. The best performances, IMO, are transactions.

• Members

Way to go Neil. You will make that connection if you want to--it took me awhile, but now after over a year of weekly three-song sets, I feel pretty good up there. Each time you do this, it will get noticeably less freaky.

From my experience as an open-miker and an audience member, it seems that one of the key ingredients is eye contact. Performers who stay too much "inside" themselves--even if they play/sing impressively--usually don't connect. The best performances, IMO, are transactions.

Boy oh boy are you ever on the money!

• Members

That's what I'm hoping to accomplish, but I suspect that the unfamiliarity of the faces is what's putting me on edge. I've seen seasoned professionals who are excellent musicians and songwriters hide their eyes under unkempt bangs or behind dark glasses in unfamiliar venues. OTOH I've seen the same people in their usual venues (especially smaller clubs) feel more comfortable with the audience and adopt a feeling of intimacy and become downright chatty with bandmates and members of the audience even early on in the show.

FWIW at the end of the night a couple of people (players and nonplayers alike) came up to me, complimented my playing and struck up conversations with me. They asked me stuff like if I'd taken lessons, how long have I been playing and stuff like that. I tried to comport myself just as if I were chit-chatting here, though even still I consider myself to be a bit more reserved. If Cripes were here he'd know what I was talking about. He endured 2 days of my company at the LB Jam where I felt (and acted) like a kid in a candy store.

• Members

Very nice playing. I really like how relaxed you seemed considering you weren't playing your own guitar. The Martin sounded very nice too. How did you like it?

Thanks! It felt strange in my hands but the the neck profile was pretty comfortable. The action was nice and low - maybe even a little too low, in fact as there was some buzzing on the high E string. The tone was different inasmuch as I'm used to a more prominent midrange and bell-like trebles from my Larrivee and this (being a Martin) had the signature bass with a more subdued midrange and a brittle-sounding treble response - again probably due to the low action and my being accustomed to a higher E string. It could've used a fresh set of strings, though. They were slightly tarnished and seemed to grab at my fingertips but still had enough life in them to give decent tone without any squeaks.

• Members

Hey Kwakatak!

Great sound on a borrowed guitar, and nice fingerpicking! Gee Whiz, don't get too critical of yourself - those two songs are a great start for open mic. Take it slowly, get comfortable with a couple of more songs and go for it!

I also found your first open mic and listened to that - "Change the World" was my favorite of the two. Singing the first few times is rough. Believe me, when you get nervous, vocal quality is the first thing to go. Work a little on the higher notes. Your basic voice quality is good; working at it will allow you shine at both instrumentals and singing.

For a first couple of times at open mic, you've done a great job. You have developed some really good musicianship that will come out for others to enjoy as you get more comfortable. Keep the momentum going!

What everyone wants to know ---- when is your next open mic?

Arizona Ken

:thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Thanks Ken! :)

There's one this coming Friday at the other open mic I mentioned above but haven't been to yet. We have to go get family Christmas pics taken across town though so I'm probably gonna miss it. That's OK though - the next one will be on the second Friday in December. I've no clue what I'll be playing though.

• Members

Neil - I was listening to and enjoying your open mike performance. My wife on the otherhand thought it was great. She wishes I played more in that style. How do you go about learning those tunes - by ear or by transcription?

From the stage where was the audience? Your music seemed to be far too complex to allow you to grin inainly at the audience which is my prefered method of audience interaciton. You made the music communicate which is no mean achievement for your second time at an open mic.

Brilliant

Phil

• Members

Thanks, Phil,

I learned these two songs off a couple of Power Tab files that I found in their archive. The MIDI playback and tempo controls really help.

As for the location of the audience, in relation the stage (which is about 2" above the shop floor IIRC) there are several rows of chairs set up about 12 feet back; not really that close IMO. The crowd is usually a mix of students who take lessons there (ranging from 8 to 18 years of age), their families and several guys like me who are going through some sort of early midlife crisis and need to flex our chops.

Archived