So I finally got a chance to play some real tortoise-shell picks...

EvilTwin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
* Australian English uses turtle for both the marine and freshwater species but tortoise for the terrestrial species.

To avoid confusion, the word chelonian is popular among veterinarians, scientists, and conservationists working with these animals as a catch-all name for any member of the order Testudines. It is based on the Ancient Greek word ?????? (chelone, modern Greek ??????), meaning tortoise.

Jesus, I never thought my post would go this far! Sorry to lead so off topic. I must just be a normal "British english" for saying that tortoises live on land.:)

• Members

Jesus, I never thought my post would go this far! Sorry to lead so off topic. I must just be a normal "British english" for saying that tortoises live on land.
:)

%E9%BC%88%E7%94%B2%E3%80%80%E7%A5%AD%E5%

Tortoiseshell is a material produced mainly from the shell of the hawksbill turtle, an endangered species. It was widely used in the 1960s and 1970s in the manufacture of items such as combs, sunglasses, and guitar picks. In the late 1970s the United Nations banned all trade of tortoiseshell worldwide.

Tortoiseshell was attractive to manufacturers and consumers because of its beautiful appearance and its durability. It was used in guitar picks because it can be easily shaped, has excellent bending properties, and is very durable

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I've been using them for a while. I get mine from various sources and pay 20 to 30 bucks for them. I shape them myself with a nail file, sandpaper and an automotive polishing compound. It takes a lot of work to get one just right (maybe three or four hours of shaping and polishing). It's a natural material and quality (like any material natural or otherwise) varies. I have a few that are exceptional and several that are not, but they're still a lot better than anything you can buy.

I don't concern myself with the political and moral arguments..........I use what I like as long as I can get it; when I can't get it anymore I'll start using Red Bear Tortis picks...........they're as close as you're gonna get to the real thing.

• Members

I've been using them for a while. I get mine from various sources and pay 20 to 30 bucks for them. I shape them myself with a nail file, sandpaper and an automotive polishing compound. It takes a lot of work to get one just right (maybe three or four hours of shaping and polishing). It's a natural material and quality (like any material natural or otherwise) varies. I have a few that are exceptional and several that are not, but they're still a lot better than anything you can buy.

I don't concern myself with the political and moral arguments..........I use what I like as long as I can get it; when I can't get it anymore I'll start using Red Bear Tortis picks...........they're as close as you're gonna get to the real thing.

It isn't a political or moral argument so much as a legal one-if you want to risk a hefty fine and jail time you just carry on.

Personally I think your attitude stinks and it has contributed to the extinction of many species. The Hawksbill turtle which provides your precious picks is an endangered species and was heading for extinction before regulations were put in place to protect it.

• Members

The Hawksbill turtle which provides your precious picks is an endangered species and was heading for extinction before regulations were put in place to protect it.

It continues to be threatened, and is likely headed for extinction.

This from Wikipedia...

Eretmochelys imbricata populations around the world are threatened with extinction and the turtle has been classified as critically endangered by the World Conservation Union.[1] Several countries, such as China and Japan, have valued hunting hawksbill turtles for their flesh, which is considered good eating. Hawksbill turtle shells, the primary source of tortoise shell, is used for decorative purposes. By the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species, it is illegal to capture and to trade in hawksbill turtles and products derived from them in many nations.[4]

• Members

You should concern yourself with the political and moral arguments. If you are purchasing and using these items then you are already involved in this issue, and you are contributing to serious environmental problems that will affect many generations yet to come.

I believe that everyone must take responsibility for the consequences of their own actions. What makes you so special that you don't?

Now that I have that off my chest I shall cease my troll-feeding.

• Members
How about all that hide glue in your acoustics?
:)

Hide glue is a byproduct of farm-raised, non-endangered species, from rendering plants and from which the whole animal is used. Not a small or insignificant difference in my estimation. One need not be vegan or a PETA member to recognize the value in abstaining from trading in endangered species.

• Members
Can anyone say how it is possible to tell if a pick is made from T'shell? I bought an old box of pics and it contains a wide variety of shapes and patterns, see pick below.

picks.jpg
Some look like they may be shell, but I have really no idea.

Chris

Drop them on a hard surface...plastic makes a "plonky" sound, real tortoise-shell makes a higher-pitched "plink" sound.

Archived