So I finally got a chance to play some real tortoise-shell picks...

EvilTwin

• Members
Can anyone say how it is possible to tell if a pick is made from T'shell? I bought an old box of pics and it contains a wide variety of shapes and patterns, see pick below.

picks.jpg
Some look like they may be shell, but I have really no idea.

Chris

Heat a pin in a lighter flame/match flame and touch it to the pick; if the resultant smoke smells of burning hair you have TS picks; we all know what burning plastic smells like!
Having said that the only one of yours which looks like TS is on the far left of the bottom row.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hide glue is a byproduct of farm-raised, non-endangered species, from rendering plants and from which the whole animal is used. Not a small or insignificant difference in my estimation. One need not be vegan or a PETA member to recognize the value in abstaining from trading in endangered species.

Did you bother to read the quote I was replying to? I suggest re-reading my post as many times as necessary to u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d. Carry on little buddy.

• Members

i have a few and when it comes to playing acoustic guitar anyways...I would hate to lose them and have to go back to plastic.The crispness of the attack is what tortoise is known for,each note is clearly projected.But damn $50.00 a pick?I didn't realize they were going for that much:eek:,i guess it's worth it if you don't lose it.

• Members

Did you bother to read the quote I was replying to? I suggest re-reading my post as many times as necessary to u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d. Carry on little buddy.

Sorry I don't measure up to your IQ standards Sir.

Maybe if you type slower my mind can get wrapped around your intellectual concepts and eventually I might catch up.

Hey, its worth a try. Thanks for your patience.

"Thy bones are hollow; impiety has mad a feast of thee."

• Members

Sorry I don't measure up to your IQ standards Sir.

Maybe if you type slower my mind can get wrapped around your intellectual concepts and eventually I might catch up.

Hey, its worth a try. Thanks for your patience.

"Thy bones are hollow; impiety has mad a feast of thee."

No problem. Keep at it, slugger.

• Members

interesting thread. my only question is, while it is illegal to own a tortoise-shell pick or to fashion one from an antique comb, is anyone enforcing the law? certainly not the local PD or sheriff's deputy ...

Enforcement comes (in the main) at Customs and Border Protection Offices, as would-be traders attempt to import this contraband.

• Members

Not sure if this was covered but the Hawksbill is under even greater pressures today because of environmental problems.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-11-26-voa15.cfm

"Twenty years ago the turtles laid eggs on almost all the islands here. Now their nests are found on only around 3 of the 110 islands, thanks to the pollution, and hunting."

• Members

A good many of you guys sure are hateful and quick to assume the worst about someone............I picked the wrong forum to join.

My guess is that you probably didn't mean to sound quite like this unfortunately phrased comment made you sound:

...I don't concern myself with the political and moral arguments..........I use what I like as long as I can get it; when I can't get it anymore I'll start using Red Bear Tortis picks...........they're as close as you're gonna get to the real thing...

Don't give up on us just yet...read a few more threads and I think you'll agree, really, this is a usually a very friendly bunch...

• Members

My guess is that you probably didn't mean to sound quite like this unfortunately phrased comment made you sound:

...I don't concern myself with the political and moral arguments..........I use what I like as long as I can get it; when I can't get it anymore I'll start using Red Bear Tortis picks...........they're as close as you're gonna get to the real thing...

Don't give up on us just yet...read a few more threads and I think you'll agree, really, this is a usually a
very
friendly bunch...

You are certainly demonstrating the friendliness that typifies this forum by offering this concilliatory advice, Terry.

• Members

I see the whole pick issue discussed here as a no-win situation. Whether natural tortoise shell or synthetic/plastic, the earth suffers, either by the killing of a creature or by pollution created in manufacturing processes.

No, I'm not a tree hugger or member of PETA, anything like that. I simply obey my conscience as best I can and try to leave as small a footprint on the planet as possible. I do believe it's better to recycle or refashion something old than to kill or pollute anew to create the same product.

That is my personal opinion and choice, not a preach to anyone else. Each and every person on this forum must live with their own moral decisions in matters such as this.

PAX.

• Members
I see the whole pick issue discussed here as a no-win situation. Whether natural tortoise shell or synthetic/plastic, the earth suffers, either by the killing of a creature or by pollution created in manufacturing processes.

No, I'm not a tree hugger or member of PETA, anything like that. I simply obey my conscience as best I can and try to leave as small a footprint on the planet as possible. I do believe it's better to recycle or refashion something old than to kill or pollute anew to create the same product.

That is my personal opinion and choice, not a preach to anyone else. Each and every person on this forum must live with their own moral decisions in matters such as this.

PAX.

well said. Samilyn.

• Members

Don't give up on us just yet...read a few more threads and I think you'll agree, really, this is a usually a
very
friendly bunch...

Personally I don't need government :cop:policing to avoid things like this. I find my conscience does the job just fine. I wouldn't want to touch anything that was a byproduct of such avarice and suffering. Bad Karma. Bad, bad Karma.

But fascinating thread - exactly why I like this forum so much. And why do so many threads on this forum end up costing me $$? It's finally motivated me to try out those stone picks I've been eyeing online for so long.

• Members
Hey, me too! I photographed many hawksbill turltes on my trips to the Caribbean. Dominica was a very cool place........did you do the whale watching trip, too? how about the hike up to the waterfalls or the boiling springs?

Here are a couple of my favorite shots from Dominica:

puffer.jpg

bandedcoralshrimp.jpg

glowingpolyp.jpg

..............................................................................................................

a bit more on-topic, I feel no need to use tortise shell picks in my guitar playing. I'm sure they're nice, but.............

I take photos but not like that:eek: ! Here is an alternative to the picks in question http://www.allparts.com/store/t-shirts-picks-strings-gp-9150-000,Product.asp . I have sold these in the store and people liked them .

• Members

Oh yeah, Dominica; my old home... What a place.

I spent many weekends taking folks scuba diving there 6-8 years ago. I arranged a whale-watching trip for the Greenpeace people, too. Lots of sperm whales in those waters around Dominica. They gave me a tour of their ship, which ironically was an old whaling boat.

• Members

Drop them on a hard surface...plastic makes a "plonky" sound, real tortoise-shell makes a higher-pitched "plink" sound.

Yup. However, the Clayton Ultem picks come pretty close to that higher-pitched "plink" sound, to my ears. I've converted to using their heaviest gauge. Great picks, and pretty cheap, too.

(...and heck, I didn't mean to start a thread that would get heated or political on here. I tried the picks, and saw what people could like about 'em. Nothing more, nothing less.)

Archived