So I finally got a chance to play some real tortoise-shell picks...

EvilTwin

• Members

...wow.

I hadn't ever played 'em before, but wow. Slick on the strings, but easy to hold onto. Brought out the best in each guitar I played. However, they do have a bit too much "pick dancing on the string" clicking sound (the type of thing I don't like from some gypsy jazz recordings). But darn interesting to play with. $30 for a large, triangle-shaped one.

Does anyone here own some? If so, what price did you pay?

Also, A/B'ed a Martin OM-21 next to a 000-15.

The -15 was nice, but the -21 outclassed it. The 000 was a nice guitar, but the OM was like a racehorse with a fine pedigree. If it only didn't cost so darn much. :(

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never played with one, but I've always wondered what they were like. I read all the time that Red Bear Trading Co.'s "Tortis" material is supposed to be the synthetic that's closest to the real thing, and I have a few, but then I read that the Dunlop Ultem and Clayton Ultex are the closest (and those don't feel or sound anything like Tortis). What kind of synthetic pick material would you describe the tortoise-shell as being most like?

• Members

I use real T-shell. The thing about them is that they ware down in such a cool way. When they are new they sound like most other picks... but as they ware they get sort of powdery on the edges... it adds a breathiness you can't get close to anywhere. I pay appox $50 per pick for a 1.5mm, custom made for me from antique combs. I

• Members

I've never tried the real thing, but I'm sold on the Tortis picks. $20 is a lot for a pick, but at that price i don't lose them! Plus they don't seem to wear at all, I've got almost 2 years on mine and I play a lot. I've tried virtually every kind of plastic, nylon flatpick out there and none come close to the Tortis in tone.

I'd be afraid to try one of those $50. real ones, because I might like it more.

• Members
I use real T-shell. The thing about them is that they ware down in such a cool way. When they are new they sound like most other picks... but as they ware they get sort of powdery on the edges... it adds a breathiness you can't get close to anywhere. I pay appox $50 per pick for a 1.5mm, custom made for me from antique combs. I

• Members

You should bear in mind that trading in tortoiseshell is illegal and carries heavy penalties under the CITES regulations and has done since the 1970's when all trade in tortoiseshell was banned internationally.
You may own antique tortoiseshell (combs, boxes etc.) but you may not fashion something else from it, eg guitar picks as it then, legally, ceases to be an antique and you become liable for prosecution.

• Members

You should bear in mind that trading in tortoiseshell is illegal and carries heavy penalties under the CITES regulations and has done since the 1970's when all trade in tortoiseshell was banned internationally.

You may own antique tortoiseshell (combs, boxes etc.) but you may not fashion something else from it, eg guitar picks as it then, legally, ceases to be an antique and you become liable for prosecution.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag136/qanda136.html

(Under "Tortoise Tones")

This guy fashioned a few from some old brushes, but according to Jim Nunally on there, it's not illegal to do so.

• Members

Am I correct in assuming that tortoise shell picks are made from the shells of tortoises, aka turtles? If so, and I don't mean to offend anyone with a weak stomach, is it theoretically possible to make them from the shells of "road kill" turtles one sees now and again? Does it matter what species? How would one go about doing this?

Again, if this thought is too gross for discussion I understand.

• Members

Am I correct in assuming that tortoise shell picks are made from the shells of tortoises, aka turtles? If so, and I don't mean to offend anyone with a weak stomach, is it theoretically possible to make them from the shells of "road kill" turtles one sees now and again? Does it matter what species? How would one go about doing this?

I, myself wondered this, too. But, once you have a turtle shell, saying you picked it up off of the road, it would be pretty hard to dis-prove that, They probably don't want it in any form. Kinda like stem cells. ("but the baby is already dead!") Although I like turtles better than I like babies.

I know where I can get some but they're $60.00 a piece. The guy also has tortoise pick guards. I didn't ask what he wanted for them.

• Members

I played with a piece of "roadkill" for awhile. I don't know anything about construction of a pick from this material. I don't know which part of the shell is used. The piece I had was difficult to shape. I never could get it to sound right.

• Members

An old bluegrass guy explained to me, that if you were to legalize 'roadkill' shell, you'd just provide a workaround for the trappers.

I've always wanted to try one.

• Members

IIRC, they're made from the shell of a particular tortoise, the hawksbill...not sure if your average road kill is a suitable substitute.

• Members

As Andrew said, buying, selling, making, transporting items on the CITIES list - including tortoise shell (and ivory and Brazillan rosewood and a lot of other things) is illegal. If you happen to own a tortoise shell pick that was made before the ban, go ahead an play it.

If you can rationalize to your self killing a turtle to make a guitar pick (or killing and leaving an elephant so you can have an ivory saddle) for whatever benefit you think you get, I'm sorry for you.

Oh, I guess that was a political statement, I'll probably be banned along with trade in tortoise shell picks.

edit to add, I know that most ivory is sold as "Fossilized" which simply means it is old (some people think I'm a fossil too). However the black market still trades in ivory (and tortoise) and I simple want no part of it.

• Members

I scored a real TS pick one time from an old bluegrasser. Paid him 20 bucks for it. Shape was perfect, just like a standard fender pick. Best pick ever.
I managed to hold onto it for about 3 years before I lost it.
Oh, well. Fender heavys are almost(maybe 75%) as good, don't require an endangered specie's demise, and are a heck of a lot more replaceable.

Archived