OT-Favorite brewer?

Stackabones

• Members

Stack, I always had you pegged as a spiritual type. Great of you to support in the fashion which works best for all concerned. Hows the tax deduction work?

I guess Im a brew low brow. My fav is MGD. Ice cold, frosted mug. I only drink it with pizza or by itself, before or after noon.

• Members

At home I keep a case of Yuengling Lager. On the rare occasion that I get to go out I go with Guinness, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sam Adams, Bass Ale.

I can't do Budweiser, MGD, Coors or even Rolling Rock. I had too many bad nights during my wayward youth because of that stuff. Well, in their defense they had a lot of help with Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort, Wild Turkey and Nokolai Vodka.

• Members

There is nothing, I mean nothing, better than Lee's Harvest Ale. I used to think Thomas Hardy was the best, but not any more.

Of course if we're talking about mortal brewers, I'd say that Samuel Smith's is my all around favorite brewer for Anglo styles. But once you cross over to Belgium/Northern France, it's a whole different ballgame.

• Members

My vote probably Timothy Taylor's Landlord, which is a classic, or even Coniston Bluebird (I've never had a headache from Coniston or Jennings - both Cumbrian ales). Both of course "in the Anglo Style"!
Maybe I should vote for a Welsh beer - Brains SA or Ffelynfoel Double Dragon - but I have had very good headaches on both.
I agree with teh previous posters - look to Belgium and it's a whole new ball game. I bought home a four pack from a Trappist brewer when I went to Ypres. It had four ales representing the seasons at different strengths. I think it was 6% for summer 9% for autumn/spring and 12% for winter! Each was a small and private pleasure.
I'm not sure any of my choices travel...

• Members
My Belgium Beers.

Abbaye Bonne Esperance
Abbaye Moinette
Corsendonk
Corsaire
Brunehaut
Extra Stout Dolle Brouwers
Julius
Jupiler

For whatever reason I can only "wash" my pizza down with MGD.

We have a copula microbreweries in my area at the moment I'm into - Three Floyds Brewpub: RED TENDON PORTER, Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout, and Dreadnaught Imperial IPA;)

Trina

MERRY, MERRY CHRISTMAS

023.jpg

• Members

We are blessed by having so many wonderful micro breweries here in the Great PNW that I had to look down and turn around the IPA next to my keyboard. Looks like this week SK picked up some Thunderhead IPA from Pyramid Brewery. In fact, let me just quote from the label (FK puts on his glasses and squints) "Way back when IPA's were loaded with hops to stand up to oceans, elephants, finicky Colonists, and spicy curries. Likewise our Inda Pale Ale is a powerful beer for bold tastes"

Well, OK, I'll accept that (and no kindin', that is what I am currently enjoying and what it says)

• Members
I'm boring:

Anheuser-Busch (Bud Light) and Miller Brewing Company (Miller Lite).

I'm boring, too.

When I indulge, it's Coors Light, for the most part. When I'm tight for money, Anhauser Natural Light. (any port in a storm)

When I got a few extra bucks or somebody else is buying, Rolling Rock.

Not so suicidal as to indulge in BoilerMakers anymore.

And let's face it, folks, after a 12-pack or so, taste buds are numb, so just about anything will do, provided one remains in an upright position. :freak:

• Members
We are blessed by having so many wonderful micro breweries here in the Great PNW that I had to look down and turn around the IPA next to my keyboard. Looks like this week SK picked up some Thunderhead IPA from Pyramid Brewery. In fact, let me just quote from the label (FK puts on his glasses and squints) "Way back when IPA's were loaded with hops to stand up to oceans, elephants, finicky Colonists, and spicy curries. Likewise our Inda Pale Ale is a powerful beer for bold tastes"

Well, OK, I'll accept that (and no kindin', that is what I am currently enjoying and what it says)

That's a wicked good IPA -- right up there with HopDevil. :evil:

• Members

+1 on the NW micros. ya can't help but be a bit of a beer snob living here. i like the hoppy ones myself, most any IPA: terminal gravity, deschutes, pelican, full sail etc.

problem is, stuff costs too damn much, especially with the recent hop shortage.

• Members
My Belgium Beers.

Abbaye Bonne Esperance

Abbaye Moinette

Corsendonk

Corsaire

Brunehaut

Extra Stout Dolle Brouwers

Julius

Jupiler

:thu:

I haven't tried all of those, but the ones I have tried (i.e. regularly drink too much of :o) are great.

I'll add Leffe, Hoegaerden, and La Trappe. The latter is Dutch, but just barely (it's very close to the border). Oh, and whichever brewery brews De Koninck.

I usually go to GJ for the beer threads, but I'm glad to see that beer is universal. :o

• Members

Excellent subject for a thread (other than guitars, of course)!

Ahhh! Where to start? Here are a few good British beers (in no particular order) that are worth a pint (or several) if you come across them them in a pub. Some are fairly common, some are less so, all are "real ales", viz, secondary fermentation in the barrel and are served by hand-pump or gravity:

"Landlord" by Timothy Taylor, Keighly, West Yorkshire
"Pedigree" by Marton's, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire
"Spitfire" by Shepheard Neame, Faversham, Kent
"Gem" by Bath Brewery, Bath, Avon
"Golden Bitter" by Archers, Swindon, Wiltshire
"Special Bitter" by Young's, Wansworth, London
"Bombadier" by Charles Wells, Bedford, Bedfordshire
"Wonderful" by Woods, Craven Arms, Shropshire
"ESB" by Fullers, Chiswick, London
"Special" by Brakspear, Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire

And there are 100's more that are probably just as good. Look here if you want to find out more:

http://www.greatbritishbeer.co.uk/

Lots of these are also available in bottle but for lighter, lager type beers, you need to look further afield (British beers of this type are not good). There are some very good beers from the Czech Republic, Poland and Germany.

• Members

Beer Lao. It's fabulous. It's so good, it's not sold in Viet Nam. You have to go to Cambodia to get it.

The Bangkok Post called it the "Dom Perignon of Asian beers".

Runner up and winner, Best Beer Slogan award", Angkor Beer, Cambodia.

Can't buy it in Vietnam either.

How about the slogan though?

My Country - my beer!"

It's a fabulous country. It's pretty good beer.

• Members

I was raised in Chicago...Old Style country.
Then I received a blessing and went to Burghoff's. Oh, that german style beer!
Brewed right in their basement below the restaurant!
I have moved since, and only Chicagoans can enjoy it. I once heard that the old Huber beer company is now brewing Burghoffs beer for them. I hope the recipe hasn't changed. I'm going back to Chicago in the spring with a deep desire to embellish my taste buds...

Oh, and Chamay aint too bad either...

• Members

Wow - some excellent tastes here - can't say that I'm surprised. My real job is importing and distributing beers & wines to the trade (hotels, clubs, restaurants, bottle shops). I'm really more expert in wine than beer but . . .

Can't list all of my faves here for the sake of time & space. Several have been mentioned already . . . see Daklander's list and Garthman's. Marcellis - I'd love to try those exotic Asians (referring of course to beers . . :=)

Lagers to add to the list of reccos :
Staropromen from the Czech Republic
Pilzner Urquell from Czech
Becks from Bremen
Paulaner from Munich
Dortmunder from Dortmund
Steinlager from New Zealand
Karlovacko from Croatia

Ales :
Sierra Nevada Pale - San Francisco
Royal Oak from England
O'Hanlon's Champion Wheat from England
Young's (anything, esp their double chocolate stout)
Bass (not from a bottle, unless desperate - draft only)
Samuel Smiths IPA, Pale, Organic - in no particular order
Pyramid & Red Hook - consistent quality from Washington

and of course; Guinness Dry Irish Stout Draught

Beers, for whatever reason I can't warm up to :
Lambics - just too rich for me
Many Domestic micros - way out of balance with the hoppiness and so inconstistent in quality. One batch will taste terrific, the next dreck-like.

Archived