What songs are you learning right now?

Davepch

• Members

Just wondered what you folks where working on at the moment. i'm currently learning a couple of Dave Matthews tunes "Satellite" and "Tripping Billies" sorta got the fingering nailed but as for getting the groove going properly, well there's still a way to go:mad:

• Members

Just wondered what you folks where working on at the moment. i'm currently learning a couple of Dave Matthews tunes "Satellite" and "Tripping Billies" sorta got the fingering nailed but as for getting the groove going properly, well there's still a way to go:mad:

I'm going to take some Kottke tab books on vacation with me and finally learn Ojo and Fisherman. Otherwise I've been working on lap steel in general and that frickin' little mandolin thingie. Also got both Ainsley's and Rory Block's dvd's on Robert Johnson - been working on Walkin' Blues and Come in My Kitchen and ...

oh, and building the parlor...

• Members

I'm going to take some Kottke tab books on vacation with me and finally learn Ojo and Fisherman. Otherwise I've been working on lap steel in general and that frickin' little mandolin thingie. Also got both Ainsley's and Rory Block's dvd's on Robert Johnson - been working on Walkin' Blues and Come in My Kitchen and ...

oh, and building the parlor...

got a lot going on there. i wouldn't imagine that Kottke stuff would be very easy. a labour of love no doubt

• Members

Marking stone blues by Kelly Joe Phelps, I am trying to improve my slide playing, and I've been playing through "Ball Peen Hammer" by Chris Whitley, "the save" by Jeff Lang and trying to remember lyrics whilst I'm playing some old Cat Stevens stuff to throw into some of the sets I do.

My biggest trouble is memorising lyrics to the more basic stuff, weird as that seems.

• Members

Marking stone blues by Kelly Joe Phelps, I am trying to improve my slide playing, and I've been playing through "Ball Peen Hammer" by Chris Whitley, "the save" by Jeff Lang and trying to remember lyrics whilst I'm playing some old Cat Stevens stuff to throw into some of the sets I do.

My biggest trouble is memorising lyrics to the more basic stuff, weird as that seems.

Jake, are you playing lap style like KJP and doing his capoing? I've got his dvd but put it away until I get my lap slide a whole lot better.

• Members

Jake, are you playing lap style like KJP and doing his capoing? I've got his dvd but put it away until I get my lap slide a whole lot better.

Yep, trying to play the KJP way, but I am a long way off...my intonation isn't great.....I have an old antoria guitar that I set up with a tall nut and saddle...my playing aside the guitar sounds really good for lap playing.

I injured my elbow quite badly a few years back and lap was all I could do for about 8 months, so I should be better than I am!:cry:

Check out Langster playing lap steel, this clip is old,...watching him last week was truly humbling...he can seemingly slide around harmonic chord shapes at will and sound like a pedal steel machine....insane;

[YOUTUBE]K17MsJOCD2E[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Just learned "My Funny Valentine" today. Decided to learn it yesterday ... memorized the lyric and melody yesterday and the chords this morning and played it at a lunch gig this afternoon.

Since the New Year, I've been in the process of getting some songs "off the page" for my sets. I've already got around ten new songs so far. I was reading off charts for some of my gigs and decided that I didn't like it ... that I wanted to get deeper into the tunes. That meant (for me) memorization.

I'm pretty close to having "Summertime" down.

Next couple of tunes will probably be "Glory of Love" & "It's the Bluest Kind of Blue" (Nuages with lyrics).

Also, trying to make sure I've got all my originals down. I'll write them and then not get a chance to play them and then forget how they go. :o

• Members

These, for example:

-- I am a man of constant sorrow by "Soggy Bottom boys" (tabbed out the melody yesterday, don't know if it's anywhere right yet)

-- From four til late by Robert Johnson (will take it on today, maybe will use deltabluestips on youtube for it)

-- Apache by Shadows (this is a tough nut for me, here's my terrible practice recording of it (2/3 speed) a week ago: http://www.box.net/shared/wrysgkp440 )

-- fingerpicking some standards from a book, here's the first take of Moon River (very slow), from a week or two ago: http://www.box.net/shared/3r3784xs00

-- Nobody knows when you're down and out is in rotation too, learning it on ukulele (in F) and guitar (in C), here's my simple two track take on it from two weeks ago: http://www.box.net/shared/eqjled3voo

• Members

I'm learning "Drifter's Wife" by JJ Cale.

like you, I've nearly got the fingering down, but the groove is a ways off. I"ve had a great time learning it though; been from the "this is impossible!" to the "I just might have it!" stages several times.

Archived