Post-VOM Pow-wow!

Stackabones

• Members

The original idea and method was great and probably the best way to continue. the off-site storage is a likewise super idea, making for the perfect complement.

Thanks to all who participated. It's an inspiration to me to learn and practice. Looking forward to the next one.

Bill

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally I thought multiple sites but after really looking at the whole thing, I believe the single thread does have a better feel for the open mic atmosphere that was, as I understand it, Stack's intent.

If one doesn't want to wade through the comments, it's not difficult to slid on past those until a post with a song link shows. I liked reading the comments between. Unfortunately this time around I wasn't able to listen is any semblance of real time but hopefully I'll be able to do more of that as time goes on.

Thanks again Stack. Great Idea and a superb first attempt.

• Members

If one doesn't want to wade through the comments, it's not difficult to slid on past those until a post with a song link shows. I liked reading the comments between.

True.... and one further thought in regards to Stacks post, a single thread is probably the better idea so people don't have to jump back and forth.

OGP

• Members

Is this gonna be a regular thing, and if so will it only be available the day after the mic "switches off?"

If you are talking about the VOM stand-alone cover page, Yes. I'll keep it updated each time Stackabones runs a new VOM. It will also retain the previous months of VOMs for easy recall reference.

If each of us carries the main URL link in our tag lines, people will always know where to find it, and I think doing so will give the VOMs exposure and encourage others to hop onto the VOM bandwagon.

.. will it only be available the day after the mic "switches off?": Yes, unfortunetly I do not have any way to extract the contents of that thread in real time. That would require access to the message system code, and I am pretty darned sure Harmony Central ain't gonna let us play in there. So it will always be an after-the-fact permanent record. That's not neccessarily a bad thing, allows us to enjoy the show and then this will go up afterwards to preserve it for the future.

• Members

Yes, unfortunetly I do not have any way to extract the contents of that thread in real time. That would require access to the message system code, and I am pretty darned sure Harmony Central ain't gonna let us play in there. So it will always be an after-the-fact permanent record. That's not neccessarily a bad thing, allows us to enjoy the show and then this will go up afterwards to preserve it for the future.

Awesome job!

I'm glad you joined this forum. You have been a class act since day one. :thu:

I like how you put the player's avatar with their song. It looks like I may need to get a serious guitar related avatar prior to posting in the VOM. ;)

My 7 year old son loves Batman. He asked me if I would change my old avatar to a Batman avatar. We did a Google image search and he picked the the Batman in my current avatar. It made him so happy, I can't change it now. I often wonder what people think when they see my avatar. :lol:

• Members
If you are talking about the VOM stand-alone cover page, Yes. I'll keep it updated each time Stackabones runs a new VOM. It will also retain the previous months of VOMs for easy recall reference.

If each of us carries the main URL link in our tag lines, people will always know where to find it, and I think doing so will give the VOMs exposure and encourage others to hop onto the VOM bandwagon.

Wow!:thu: That is an awesome idea and you did a wondeful job ohioarrow:cool:

It's so cool that it makes me want to write more songs. All of the songs were so well thought out and executed. The video of kwak playing for his little boy was beautiful.
:phil:

Thanks again!

OGP

• Members

I wondered if it was a factor in the comments directed to you in the Zager threads.
;)

Scott O

Exactly.

I guess some people have trouble taking guitar advice from a guy with a Southpark Batman avatar. ;)

My sense of humor doesn't always translate well in the 2 dimensional world of internet forums. Heck, sometimes it doesn't translate well in the real world either. :freak::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's an interesting factoid for you folks..

I was looking at the use logs for that VOM storage site, and it would appear to have had a huge viewership. Since that page went online in the wee hours of the 12th it's had 2,163 page views (as of a few minutes ago)

Apparently the subdomain that site sits on has been picked up by some of the major Internet search engines like Google and Yahoo and we're getting viewers linking in from all over the globe not just Harmony Central.

Pretty amazing exposure, I thought you all would like to know that.

• Members

Wow, that's cool! I kinda wish I'd done an original so as not to get sued, but then I don't have any that are 100% finished.

I kind of wonder who's been listening to this stuff though. It'd be cool if there was a guestbook or something for those outsiders looking in. Of course, we fellow hacks could always start up a thread to discuss amongst ourselves.

• Members

I kind of wonder who's been listening to this stuff though. It'd be cool if there was a guestbook or something for those outsiders looking in. Of course, we fellow hacks could always start up a thread to discuss amongst ourselves.

hmmm.. I never thought about that. That should be fairly easy, let me see what I can whip up.

• Members
Great idea!
:idea:

Cool!

Ok.. So I lied, that wasn't as easy as I thought it would have been. Took a bunch of hours of programming as I retro-fitted an existing open-source code script to do the job. But I think it turned out ok, not a perfect match to the rest of the design work, but close enough for quick design. I may go back and tweak the "look" a bit better a little later.

The guestbook is now available at the off-site VOM storage site.

I have tested this a bit locally, but it could use a few of us to post to it to make sure it's going to work for our purposes (not to mention test the code)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it better, or the site itself for that matter, I am all ears.

Archived