Post-VOM Pow-wow!

Stackabones

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think everything worked out fine. :thu:

I was just wondering if there was a way to collect all the songs from the VOM and keep them posted in the Annex until the next one? ( I mean those who would like to have their song there) That way other folks could go there and listen to them for a month or so.

What do you think...is this an ok idea?

It was fun and hope I can join in on the next VOM! :D

OGP

• Members

An idea that occurred to me was to have all the submissions compiled in the first post of the thread. Then anyone could check out the entire set list (in the order submitted, just like a real open mic signup) without missing anything buried in the feedback / conversations.

Of course, someone would have to update that first post throughout the day, which would be a considerable time commitment. Just thinking out loud. Overall I'm happy with the way things went. Thanks Stack for organizing this. Someday we should collaborate on something.

• Members

An idea that occurred to me was to have all the submissions compiled in the first post of the thread. Then anyone could check out the entire set list (in the order submitted, just like a real open mic signup) without missing anything buried in the feedback / conversations.

Of course, someone would have to update that first post throughout the day, which would be a considerable time commitment. Just thinking out loud. Overall I'm happy with the way things went. Thanks Stack for organizing this. Someday we should collaborate on something.

Maybe make two threads? One for strictly posting the links to the songs and and other thread to talk about them? That way the songs can be heard all in one go instead of sifting through the one thread?

Just my 2cents

OGP

• Members

I think everything worked out fine.
:thu:

I agree. I liked the "try to do it in one take" and "try to do it on Sunday". Those things, for me, gave it a more open mic feel. I had actually tried out a recording at work on Friday. I had my bang around in my car trunk and pulled it out to record the song. I thought about submitting that, but decided to make myself show up for a Sunday recording (which I did sitting on my bed). But I also like keeping it flexible if you can't make it on the specified day. I wouldn't want to miss seeing something like kwakatak playing with his kid sitting next to him. That was great.

Any suggestions on mp3 rate? I used 128k, but don't really know the tradeoffs. Mine was just mono.

Again, I think the guidelines as the were worked very well. Great job Stack.

Scott O

• Members

Overall, I think things went well.

Thought it's a PIA for me to set up and tear down for a one song take it's worth it until I can afford either a stand alone such as the H2 or H$ or another small mixing desk. The way it goes now is to set up the recorder and mics, tear that down, transport the recorder to the computer and set up. Transfer to the computer and tear down and stow the recorder, mics, cables, stands & etc., then export the file as wav, import that to an encoder and encode the file to mp3 for upload.

If was almost like I was loading in and out for a real gig.... :)

• Members

I think it worked out great and inspired me to try to improve my recording methods. I've already tried using MS Movie Maker to sync up two separate audio and video tracks, but have found that it causes a flare up of the "red light disease!" :o

http://media.putfile.com/AV-MIX-TEST01

BTW - I think that next we should have a way of making the submissions more easily accessible. Would it be too much trouble for you to put all the links in the initial post, Stackabones?

• Members

I think it worked out great and inspired me to try to improve my recording methods. I've already tried using MS Movie Maker to sync up two separate audio and video tracks, but have found that it causes a flare up of the "red light disease!"

Make sure you audio levels are fairly low when recording. Remember that when you add, audio to existing audio you're adding volume as well. I would shoot for something in the -6 to -9 area on the audio going in and if Movie Maker will allow you to adjust the input going in on top of what is pulled while videoing, keep that low as well, just enough to fill the onboard recorded audio.

• Members

As I posted in the thread last night I thought it was great, Stack. Congratulations on a fine idea. I guess the only thing that might make it better is if there are more entries in the next one. And maybe separate performance and comment threads would be worth a try, particularly if the player roster grows.

• Members

I think it worked out great and inspired me to try to improve my recording methods. I've already tried using MS Movie Maker to sync up two separate audio and video tracks, but have found that it causes a flare up of the "red light disease!"
:o

Kwak;

I too have this Windows Movie Maker on my laptop computer and of course being a newb I can't figure out how to sync up the video and audio. What I'd like to do is record the video with my cheap digi-cam and record the audio onto my PC at the same time and then sync them together using Windows Movie Maker. :)

Is that how you did it?

Regards,

OGP

• Members

I thought it was great, and I've never even played at a real "open mike"! I think that the one-take concept is a real motivator for folks to give a true, straightforward performance. I did mine with an Apex large diaphragm condensor run through my small Yamaha p.a. head, and lined-out to my pc into Audacity, with just a small amount of plate reverb. Thanks everyone for a great time, and thanks again Stack for setting up the link for me.

• Members

I think this is GREAT!!!

There are so many talanted people here, and hats off to all that posted their songs.

I like the idea of seperate threads for posts and feedback. It makes it easier to go through without missing anyone.

Thank you for starting this...:)

• Members

That virtual open mic was a lot of fun!

I woke up with the idea of learning a new song (a bit of a new song) and then recording the result. I was motivated and had fun!

I showed it to my teacher and he liked it too!

I'm far from an advanced player but this exercise was very pleasant!

Let's do it again soon! :thu:

• Members

I like the idea of updating the first post with links.

Having two threads (one for links, one for comments) is a good idea too, but I don't think that as a group we would stick with the rules of not posting comments on the link threads.

It is definitely work to keep the first post updated... maybe we can just plan on that only being updated a couple of times on Sunday, and then one final update sometime Monday? It shouldn't be too big a deal for the first post to be a little out of date throughout the day, especially if people expect it to be. You can also see when the post was last edited, so you know how out of date it is.

I think that people will want to read through the comments anyway (I enjoyed the comments, anyway), so they could see new songs posted throughout the day, even if they are not added to the first post yet.

Overall, I think that it went quite well, even for a first run.

-A

• Members

I've gotta say ... I'm not too keen on the idea of updating the initial post. I like how the thread sprawls out over the course of the VOM. I got the feel of it all unfolding ... no matter when I dropped back in, I could see the progress and check out the comments and the music. It felt more personal and DIY that way imo.

One thread for music and one thread for comments just seems like it would be difficult to enforce. It would be full of comments about how you're not supposed to comment in the music section, and then the comment section would have music posts, etc. I'd think it would be a bit confusing and may alienate.

I think a decent model for this is the Sticky Jams they have over at HC Electric Guitars. Frets99 has done an outstanding job over there at HCEG. One thread ... everyone posts and comments and it seems to work well enough. They've created an off-site collection of the previous jams (though none of the links seemed to work for me).

Maybe something similar could be done here. Krash offered up some space on the Annex and Ohioarrow PM'd me some pretty cool ideas and web mockups (?) that could work as far as storing previous (should this continue) VOMs.

• Members

The VOM was terrific -- great idea, great music!

I'd definitely vote for a single repository -- if a segment of the Annex is

available that would be great. People could upload their files (mp3s, vids)

to the repository, and discussion takes place here in a VOM thread.

For the record, I can't use flash at the moment and some hosting sites only

provide access to the music via flash-based players -- so songs loaded to

putfile, or even soundclick without a download option, are presently

unavailable to me. A single repository could provide file-hosting and even

auto-generate playlists for stand-alone streaming players (xmms, etc).

Just my two $0.02 CDN (which is like two cents these days).

cheers,

andrew

Archived