NGD reloaded: A Neurotic's Tale

Glenn F

• Members

Sigh.

Wasn't it just last week when I announced the purchase of a Larrivee L-03R? Yeah, it was. After playing it over the weekend, and one minute loving it, and another not loving it, I decided yesterday that I was going to exchange it. Those of you who've watched me flounder around a few times to get the guitar I want will probably roll your eyes. I even make myself roll my eyes. :blah:

Anyways....

The Larrivee's bottom end was, in keeping with my first observations a few weeks ago, flabby and dull. New strings only partly ameliorated this problem. I realize that Kwakatak mentioned that he'd had the same problem that was remedied by a bone saddle, but I didn't really want to take the chance that it wouldn't improve matters to my satisfaction. Besides, I found the neck uncomfortable, and for the amount of money they cost here, I figured that if I wasn't completely happy, I should take it back. Also, I've wanted a smaller guitar, and the L size isn't really a lot smaller than a dread. So, after having it over the weekend, and then still thinking about a Guild GAD 30R (which caused a bit of consternation on my both mine and my wife's part), I exchanged the Larrivee for a Lakewood M-18.

I played a Furch OM32, which is basically a Martin OM-sized clone; a Taylor 414 and 214, a couple of other Lakewoods, and a Seagull MJ, which, I would've bought but they were clearing it out because it was damaged. I was thinking about a Martin 000-28 they had, but that was a bit out my range.

It came down to the Taylor 214 and the Lakewood M-18. I am sure that many people here don't know about Lakewood guitars. They are made here in Germany (my luthier actually worked with the owner, Martin Seeliger), not cheap, but high quality. The Taylor played well, but it had a bit of a shrill upper end. After hearing one of the sales dudes play the Taylor and the Lakewood, I chose the Lakewood.

AAA solid Spruce top;

Solid Ovangkol back and sides;

Mahogany neck;

Ebony fretboard;

Bone nut and saddle;

GA type body.

Hiscox case.

The sound is very nice, both warm and bright. The neck and fretboard are very easy to move around on, despite being slightly wider than the Larrivees. Lakewoods have a reputation for taking their time to open up, but being amazing once they do. The sound is very balanced, great for fingerpicking, but can take pretty strong strumming. The action is pretty good, but I'll probably want to lower it a bit if possible.

I really hope my guitar buying obsession is over for a while. I am driving myself nuts trying to get that perfect sounding and playing guitar.

Cheers,

Glenn

Lakewood13408.jpgLakewoodB4308.jpgLakewoodC4-3-08.jpgLakewoodC4-3-08.jpgLakewoodD4-3-08.jpg

• Members

Congrats on the new new guitar. You did the right thing if you were having doubts.

What was your take on the Furch? A guitar store near me carries Stonebridge (the North American name for Furch guitars, I believe) and I've been extremely impressed.

• Members

Congrats on the new new guitar. You did the right thing if you were having doubts.

What was your take on the Furch? A guitar store near me carries Stonebridge (the North American name for Furch guitars, I believe) and I've been extremely impressed.

Hi,

Well, as I said, it is basically a Martin clone. They are made, I believe, in the Czech Republic, and possibly have been for a while (meaning they may have been deliberate rip-offs of the Martins). It looks very much like a Martin OM, especially the headstock. It played very well, and I was initially tempted, but it had a bit of a jarring brightness (in sound, more like a Taylor on a bad day). The salesman also told me that Furch had had problems with the top lifting, due to too thin wood. So, caveat emptor.

More about the Lakewood:

My wife and I were practicing a few songs tonight, and she loves the sound of the new guitar. This guitar sings! The sustain is great, and it will reverbrate if I am talking relatively close to it, or, once, when I sneezed, all these lovely overtones came ringing out. It truly shines when finger-picked, though, both in terms of sound, and playability. The ovangkol is lovely, and has a fairly rough-ish texture to it; the binding is pear-tree; the tuners are part rosewood. The effect is minimalist, but subtly beautiful.

I think my acoustic GAS is over for a while, but being a little middle-aged loopy right now, who knows?

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

Sorry to hear that the Larrivee didn't work out for you. FWIW I wasn't all that impressed with the tone of the L-03R anyway. Even my OM-03R was less than stellar out of the box, but I knew what I was getting into in that I liked the neck profile and knew what that model sounded like after the break-in period.

FWIW, that Lakewood looks like a beautiful guitar. I see that you also tried out the Taylor 214. Was that the new model with laminated rosewood back & sides or the older one with solid sapele back & sides. You didn't happen to come across a 414CE did you? IIRC they have solid ovangkul back & sides.

• Members

Sorry to hear that the Larrivee didn't work out for you. FWIW I wasn't all that impressed with the tone of the L-03R anyway. Even my OM-03R was less than stellar out of the box, but I knew what I was getting into in that I liked the neck profile and knew what that model sounded like after the break-in period.

FWIW, that Lakewood looks like a beautiful guitar. I see that you also tried out the Taylor 214. Was that the new model with laminated rosewood back & sides or the older one with solid sapele back & sides. You didn't happen to come across a 414CE did you? IIRC they have solid ovangkul back & sides.

I'm a big fan of the Taylor 414. :thu:

I liked my L-03, but I don't think the L body holds a candle to the OM. I'm in the minority with my opinion, but I think Larrivee makes a killer OM.

• Members

That is is gorgeous guitar. Like the Larrivee, the beauty is in the wood, and not any excess bling.

You also know your way around a camera, too..... great pics.

I would love to hear a clip or two.

Happy New Guitar Day!!

:thu::thu::thu::thu:

Arizona Ken

• Members

The salesman also told me that Furch had had problems with the top lifting, due to too thin wood. So, caveat emptor.

Didn't somebody here once say that he had worked on a Furch/Stonebridge and was concerned that it was built too lightly? Who was that? He was a smart guy. Really good-looking from what I remember...

:D;)

• Members

Thanks for all your kind comments!

Nice looking wood box! Just curious, is the rosette Ovangkol as well? Looks like it but it's hard to tell without a really close up pic.

Hi, yes, the rosette is ovangkol.

Is it just me, or does the first pic make it look like the Lakewood has an extra-gi-normous soundhole????

The soundhole is exactly the same size as the one on my Martin D-15. The narrow waist gives the illusion of being larger, I guess.

daklander
I don't know that I would call someone who swapped a Larry for that gorgeous piece of wood, and one that sings to you as well.

I assume you are referring to my self-referral as 'Neurotic.' See, Since I joined this forum, I've bought a few guitars, and have been pretty unsatisfied with what I'd purchased. A couple of times, it was something beyond my control (like damaged Martin 000-15s being shipped to me) and others, well, I'd buy them after playing them for maybe a half hour, only to get them home and find something that I just wasn't prepared to live with. On a couple of occasions, I got into a bit of a heated discussion with the staff at the store about the condition of a guitar (anyone remember the buzzing on the Seagull S12 I bought?) It seems there are two things going on: One, I am more discriminating than I used to be, and, given what I've spent, am not willing to accept anything less than an instrument that doesn't buzz, de-tune easily, will play easily, and sounds like I want it to sound; the other side of the coin is, my direct access to a lot of instruments is somewhat circumscribed. The one large shop in the area is a bit ethically challenged, their prices aren't great (although they'll match another store's price, but they'll cut back their in-store guarantee to that which is only required by law), and many of their guitars are not in great shape, for having been hanging on the wall in a less than perfectly humidified environment for more than a year. So, combine my skittishness with a store that I always feel I have to be on my toes with, and I seem, at least when I look at myself, a bit neurotic. Of the 4 guitars that I bought at this shop in the last year, I ended up exchanging 3 of them, and I would've probably made that 4, but when I asked them to order me another Seagull S12, they ended up ordering me a more expensive model, which I didn't appreciate, and so I ended up living with the slight buzzing on the 11th/12th strings. The guitar has so much else going for it, that I don't really have to play up the neck where the buzzing is occuring on those strings. When I get a second strap pin installed, I'll ask my luthier to see if he can do something about the fret buzz. The store refused to do anything about it under warranty, even though someone at Godin said that the fret buzz shouldn't be happening. They also said it was in their distributor's hands, not theirs, which is one of those little unpleasant facts of life in Europe.

Cheers,

Glenn

Archived