Bridge Pin Won't Budge

T.B.

• Members

ooh - no offense Crab Cake, but the pliers are just not a good idea. They will mar the pin finish. I will either push up from the inside, or use a pair of Diagonal Cutter to get underneath the ball end and gently pull up. (carefully!).

Diagonal_Cutter_Plier.jpg

• Members

Can you get your hand in the soundhole? If so, reach inside till you feel the bottom of the pin and push it out. You may need to use something like a pick or a penny if it's really stuck.

+1

If you grab it with pliers you can dent the pin.

Its is to get a stuck pin out from the bottom, then sand it a little to lessen the tight fit.

• Members

Once you get the pin out, remember this for when you put the pin back in. The pins should never be forced in. Just hold them down gently with a finger while you pull the string up so that the ball end sets against the side of the pin and locks there. The tension of the string will force the pin against the side of hte hole and hold it in place.

• Members

Usually I just go in through the sound hole with a dry rag or t-shirt and push up on it with the heel of my hand. The coin thing would work too.

Ellen

:thu: Thanks guys, the coin plus rag thing worked.

• Members

:thu:
Thanks guys, the coin plus rag thing worked.

You need to fit those pins. They should just about fall out by themselves if they are put in the holes with no strings.

If they are kept as tight as you have them, you are going to wind up splitting your bridge in half.

• Members

I use a kitchen fork. Try it, it works great. The curvature of the fork is perfect to set down on the bridge. Hook the two center tines on each side of the peghead and use the handle as leverage.

RT1

Sometimes I will use a spoon. I place the tip of the spoon under the ball of the bridge pins and use the curved bottom of the spoon as a fulcrum on the bridge to gently pry out the most stubborn bridge pins. It works great and never damages the pin or the bridge. It actually works better than any pin puller I ever used.

• Members

Sometimes I will use a spoon. I place the tip of the spoon under the ball of the bridge pins and use the curved bottom of the spoon as a fulcrum point to gently pry out the most stubborn bridge pins. It works great and never damages the pin or the bridge. It actually works better than any pin puller I ever used.

Yo. +1 on no damage.

RT

• Members

Can you get your hand in the soundhole? If so, reach inside till you feel the bottom of the pin and push it out. You may need to use something like a pick or a penny if it's really stuck.

+1

This is a much better method than what I used to do - I used my teeth. I had to stop when I took a 2x4 to the side of the head, chipping a tooth in the process. Looking back, it wasn't good for the pins, either! :freak:

Just kidding folks - I quit using that method because I was marring the pins too much. I'm also damned lucky I didn't swallow one in the process. :o

• Members

You need to fit those pins. They should just about fall out by themselves if they are put in the holes with no strings.

If they are kept as tight as you have them,
you are going to wind up splitting your bridge in half

Thanks for the heads up and the advice. Restrung all of my gits, never had any issues with a guitar till yesterday boy, my Walden gave me grief. I bought some slotted Snakewood Bridge pins and they wouldn't say in. So, I put the plastic ones back in for the meantime.

• Members

I use a modified "church-key" beer opener...I ground out a slot on the business end that fits the pin perfectly...similar to this one, with the slot in line w/ the lettering (no digital camera on hand to show my personal tool, but you get the idea):

col-sapporo-church-key-1973.jpg

More importantly, the modification didn't negate it's "prime function"... ;)

Archived