I bought it thinking I would learn to play but never had the time or patience....

spruce goose

• Members

If he gets a buyer, I'm going to ask him to take the proceeds from his sale and hire me to play guitar for him for a year or so. I'll just follow him around and play whatever inane music he asks for. I'll even write him a theme song with his name in it for a nominal fee and exclusive rights.

• Members

Some people just baffle the {censored} out of me. Obviously he doesn't know the meaning of the term "starter guitar" but then in addition to the current economic situation he's probably parting with something that may hold its value better than his company-sponsored 401K. :facepalm:

• Members

Some people just baffle the {censored} out of me. Obviously he doesn't know the meaning of the term "starter guitar"

Just imagine if that was his starter guitar (well, actually, it was) ... what would be the upgrade?

Could be a fun thought experiment! :idea:

Hey, guys, I've been playing about 18 months and getting better, so I thought I'd upgrade my guitar to something nicer. I already play a 1999 Martin Guitar D28GE special edition Brazilian Rosewood. I thought I could sell it, but I just can't -- sentimental value, you know?

Give me some ideas, please. I've been lurking here a while and this is my first post, but I've learned so much from this forum. I'm trying to keep my budget somewhere around the neighborhood of $100K, but I don't mind stretching it if the right one comes along.

:whisper: C'mon, folks, play along! :)

• Members

:confused: So, this guy wants to learn how to play guitar and thinks to himself the most logical thing to do is go out and spend $35,000 on a guitar to "learn on" :confused:

Sounds real fishy to me.

Even if I were filthy rich, I don't think I'd waste that much money on something. I could almost see blowing a grand or even two on a hobby I'm not sure I want to commit to, but $35,000? :confused:

I dunno, this guy has more money than sense.

• Members

Hey, guys, I've been playing about 18 months and getting better, so I thought I'd upgrade my guitar to something nicer. I already play a 1999 Martin Guitar D28GE special edition Brazilian Rosewood. I thought I could sell it, but I just can't -- sentimental value, you know?

Give me some ideas, please. I've been lurking here a while and this is my first post, but I've learned so much from this forum. I'm trying to keep my budget somewhere around the neighborhood of $100K, but I don't mind stretching it if the right one comes along.

You made a good choice for a starter guitar. $50,000 seems like a reasonable price for a guitar and if you hadn't stuck with it, you would have only been out a few 10s of Ks anyway. My suggestion for a step up would be the Martin D-100 Deluxe:

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=c&g=4&m=D-100%20Deluxe

This is by far the best value in its price range. It easily stands up to any guitar from $250,000 to $300,000. If you want to impress your friends with an expensive guitar, then this is not it. However, if you want good bang for the buck, then you can't beat the Martin D-100 Deluxe.

• Members

Do people really sell 35k guitars on craigslist? Even if I had the money and thought a 35k guitar wasn't a little crazy I don't know if I could give a stranger that money in the hopes that he is selling me a genuine article. How many people would be able to tell that guitar from a D28 without the label?

• Members

Do people really sell 35k guitars on craigslist? Even if I had the money and thought a 35k guitar wasn't a little crazy I don't know if I could give a stranger that money in the hopes that he is selling me a genuine article. How many people would be able to tell that guitar from a D28 without the label?

hey- if you can't trust a total stranger (who, by definition, has never lied to you before) then who can you trust?

• Members

I'm reluctant to part with it for only $100K, but I haven't been playing my Seagull M6 for awhile. Granted it's a lefty, but I'd change the strings myself, although it's hard to throw in brand new strings at this price. And since they're no longer making this model lefty or righty, it's certain to go up in value.

It's got a solid spruce top, and is extremely well made. All the reviews say it's outstanding in its price range.

Now if you're willing to go up a bit in price, I've also got two Larrivees...

• Members

I'm in Manhatten and I should go over and look at it just to say I played a $40,000 guitar.

Really start off the test drive botching some simple scales and an off key rendition of "Little Brown Jug". Then tell him the strings are out of balance and that he should think about letting me do a set up for him. Comic possbilities are endless.

• Members

First, you shouldn't be surprised to know there are people out there who think that the more something costs, the better it must be and significantly so. I had a business partner who used to say folks didn't think they were getting their money's worth until you ripped them off. It turned out he was right considering the market we were in. This guy was probably lead to believe, by someone he trusted, that this guitar was the {censored} and worth every penny. To anyone with the means, it's chump change.

• Members

I think this guy will be lucky is he doesn't get robbed. He should take that guitar to a reputable dealer and have them sell it..

Hey, I have this 35,000.00 guitar, here's my phone number. You can come to my home and play it, just leave your 2 "friends" outside...

• Members

You made a good choice for a starter guitar. $50,000 seems like a reasonable price for a guitar and if you hadn't stuck with it, you would have only been out a few 10s of Ks anyway. My suggestion for a step up would be the Martin D-100 Deluxe:

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=c&g=4&m=D-100%20Deluxe

This is by far the best value in its price range. It easily stands up to any guitar from $250,000 to $300,000. If you want to impress your friends with an expensive guitar, then this is not it. However, if you want good bang for the buck, then you can't beat the Martin D-100 Deluxe.

:D

Archived