Songs you love unconditionally (5 max)

Michael Martin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hmm.. Five. That's a tough one to whittle down.

Well I am going to borrow the Behind Blue Eyes (who's version) from you there, and add to it: (In no particular order)

2. Hotel California - Eagles (as performed in the acoustic reunion tour)

3. End of the Innocence - Don Henley (Partial to the Jeff Bryant acoustic version)

4. Something to Believe In - Poison (Love Kevin Leary's acoustic arrangement of this. Sentimental significance.)

5. Patience - Guns & Roses (Can't resist that acoustic gem.)

I'd like to give "Running Away" by Midnight Hour an honorable mention.

I find it hard to cut a list down like this as there are so many that rival these as favorites, but I did my best. Heck I could have probably took up the 5 with the Eagles alone.
:lol:

I like that version better than Henley's. Embedding is disabled, but here's a link to it - well worth a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw_5E3Qfo84

I'm sitting here listening to it right this minute. :)

• Members

Daydream Believer - Monkeys
( written by Neil Diamond, Tommy Joyce and Bobby Hart?)

Change Partners - Stephan Stills

When Shrimps Learn To Whistle - Leo Kottke (Burnt Lips)

Classical Gas - Mason Williams

John Henry Bosworth - Noel Stookey (, Paul and...)

Another classic Monkees song!

• Members

I honestly couldn't narrow to 5 songs.

I'd sit here for an eternity and keep changing stuff up.

Honestly, narrowing to 50 seems difficult.

Mood has a lot to do with it i suspect too.

When you fancy many genre its tough!

The OP simply asked to limit it to five and they don't have to be the top five on your list. That's impossible to rate I would think.

• Members

The OP simply asked to limit it to five and they don't have to be the top five on your list. That's impossible to rate I would think.

Yeah--what he (or she!) said. Just 5 you love whole-heartedly. Not the only 5, or the 5 you love best. 5 you love. It changes day-to-day for me as well.

I'm surprised by the number of people, me included, who listed "Thunder Road". I think I need to go upstairs now and play it.

• Members

Yeah--what he
(or she!)
said. Just 5 you love whole-heartedly. Not the only 5, or the 5 you love best. 5 you love. It changes day-to-day for me as well.

I'm surprised by the number of people, me included, who listed "Thunder Road". I think I need to go upstairs now and play it.

I do say, sir, I have yet to purchase neither miniskirt, tutu, or accessories thereof (sometimes knee-pads), exthept at thertain partiethz, and require the use of a public facility por caballeros solamente.

• Members
I do say, sir, I have yet to purchase neither miniskirt, tutu, or accessories thereof (sometimes knee-pads), exthept at thertain partiethz, and require the use of a public facility por caballeros solamente.

Glad I hadn't just taken a sip of beer. :facepalm:

• Members

Daydream Believer - Monkeys ( written by Neil Diamond, Tommy Joyce and Bobby Hart?)

Classical Gas is an amazing tune:thu:

• Members

I find it hard to whittle it down to just five, but here are my choices (in no particular order) and I suppose that many would find them silly or sappy but suffice it to say that each has deep personal meaning that I probably shouldn't share out on the open forum:

Hold You In My Arms (Ray LaMontagne)
The Gift of Seeing Through (Bill Deasy, a local Pittsburgh musician who once hit the big time)
The Heart of the Matter (Don Henley)
You're Missing (Bruce Springsteen)
Mothers of the Disappeared (U2)

• Members

Daydream Believer - Monkeys ( written by Neil Diamond, Tommy Joyce and Bobby Hart?)

Daydream Believer was written by John Stewart.

• Members

I find it hard to whittle it down to just five, but here are my choices (in no particular order) and I suppose that many would find them silly or sappy but suffice it to say that each has deep personal meaning that I probably shouldn't share out on the open forum:

Hold You In My Arms
(Ray LaMontagne)

The Gift of Seeing Through
(Bill Deasy, a local Pittsburgh musician who once hit the big time)

The Heart of the Matter
(Don Henley)

You're Missing
(Bruce Springsteen)

Mothers of the Disappeared
(U2)

Wow--I actually thought about "You're Missing", as that song haunts me. So many from The Rising are like that. It evokes too much strong emotion for me to list it here. I have to be in the proper frame of mind to listen to that album now (played it incessantly when first released).

• Members

If Baba and Mattski can do another 5 so can I:

Ducks on a Pond - Incredible String Band
Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix
Sleeping Partners - Doll by Doll
In Search of Little Sadie - Bob Dylan
Anything by Cole Porter sung by Ella Fitzgerald (but I suppose that's another 20+)

• Members

Just a few of the many that come to mind:

More Than a Feeling
-- Boston

Let Me Take You Home Tonight
-- Boston

Annie's Song
-- John Denver

I've Got a Name
-- Jim Croce

Time in a Bottle
-- Jim Croce

Ahh....timeless tunes. I love Jim Croce's music. "Time in a Bottle" is a particular favorite of mine.

• Members

Thanks. I think the last time I read about the writers was in 66/67 and was a bit disappointed the Monkees didn't write their own music. It wasn't until later I learned they were just a TV show act.

Mike Nesmith wrote some Monkees tunes, but not any of the big hits I think.

But you know what--that songwriting thing was a revelation for me. At some point back then I became aware that there were bands (or solo performers) who wrote their own music and others that didn't--I discovered that this made a huge difference to me in terms of how I thought about those bands. Creating a great song has always seemed to me to be a much more significant achievement than performing one.

I remember seeing Johnny Mathis on the Johnny Carson show, back when the whole popular music industry was being revolutionized by the likes of the Beatles. Mathis (a great singer, to be sure) said something to the effect that some of the new music was worthwhile, but none of the performers were any good, so it was up to real artists like him to choose the good material from all the crap that the youngsters were writing and do it right (I think he might have sung "Yesterday" or some such on the show). I remember thinking, jeez, what an arrogant dinosaur that guy is...

Archived