You got to be kidding

asatnutz

• Members

The recent post have been in the defence of lower end guitars being as good as higher end guitars. Claims like if its good wood its sounds and plays just as good or if you have good wood there is no need to pay extra for fancy

These guys just don't get it. Here is an example of a High end guitar. Now, do me a favor and try to defend you budget piece against this guitar, the way its made, the materials used to make it, the design years, the sound, the tone, the looks, the resale the pride in ownership and on and on.................Lets hear it?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have no argument with you here...I have a nice Larrivee that only sees play from case to lap and back.

But, I've got a handfull of lesser cost guitars including one Yamaha FG730S that recieved a minimum of two new top dings this weekend at the beach...I blame beer...

And, it sounds fantastic...really fantastic. I just wanna play/hear good guitar and that can be had for $300...

• Members

Well, if sucessful my next two builds will try to emulate the very cheap and cheaply build guitars of the 30's that many of the old bluesmen played. They will be ladder braced like the old Stellas and if they work out I plan to unload two Martins and a Taylor next spring. They won't necessarily be inexpensive to build now days - I'll probably have about 500 in each, about a quarter of what the marties are worth.

And when the Martins go I will still keep my $100 Yamie and my 1932 Dobro that sold new for $27.

• Members

Can't put a price on the love one has for an instrument, the mojo it gains from being played by you or good friends, or the good feelings it produces when you pick it up and it feels like an old friend, no matter what the the numbers on the price tag.

• Members

I own four guitars, all bought new, total cost just under $700 del'd. I'm very happy with all of them, but more importantly, they're all better than I'll ever be able to play them.

I've spent a lot of time on guitar boards the past few years, and have come to wonder how many of the cork-sniffers and chronic GASsers play well enough that it makes any difference in their music whether they're playing a $3,000 or $300 guitar. It's the music that matters, and that's the one thing that's rarely mentioned in these endless gear threads.

• Members

:) geesh I worry about having to pay for anything over 300.

Not enough talent to justify anything over 7-800. Like Krash...

I have 4, 2 bought new, 1 traded for from one that was bought new and one a freeby from my sis. The freeby is the one I've been playing the most lately (my Martin D-28 Kit built) and it needs fret work, but I love the sound.

So less than a thousand for all. Would I trade all of them for one high end guitar? Nope... each has its own time and place for me when I'm ready for em.

But I do have my eye on a (for me) high ender... A 1956 Gibson that looks like crap but plays and sounds like its from heaven. Its mine for only 700. Now I just got to find that penny bank.

Great post Krash.

• Members

The recent post have been in the defence of lower end guitars being as good as higher end guitars. Claims like if its good wood its sounds and plays just as good or if you have good wood there is no need to pay extra for fancy

These guys just don't get it. Here is an example of a High end guitar. Now, do me a favor and try to defend you budget piece against this guitar, the way its made, the materials used to make it, the design years, the sound, the tone, the looks, the resale the pride in ownership and on and on.................Lets here it?

Pffff....Throw that away and buy a Yamaha:poke:

• Members

honestly- i would take a resurrected mojomatic of my dad's any day over a 'normal' guitar. vintage is vintage cracks and all.

my dad was playing a christmas party for a previous employer and a couple of the higher ups from out of town showed up with these brand new martin's etc... high end $3000 plus guitar's... my dad was playing an old 12 string that was converted to a 6... with the tuner head sawed off... and a hole in the back for a microphone... etc... a real beater.

when they all started to play the high end guitar's had nothing on my dad's beater. they were miffed. 8^)

as the saying goes 90% player 10% equipment?

• Members

Can't put a price on the love one has for an instrument, the mojo it gains from being played by you or good friends, or the good feelings it produces when you pick it up and it feels like an old friend, no matter what the the numbers on the price tag.

I'm going to have to agree with Samilyn here, and what Krash said rung true with me as well. Whereas I'm all for a guitar that looks good, sounds good, and has Gibson/Taylor/Martin/Rainsong on the headstock and lots of zeros on the price tag, I think there are plenty of "cheap" guitars that can blow some of the more expensive guitars out of the water. I'll be the first to admit that the guitar you posted is better than my Seagull, better than my Ovation, and probably costs more than every piece of gear I own. It looks slicker than snot, the inlay work is divine, and the respect that the little logo on the headstock commands is unreal. Last time I checked though, the important thing about guitars is the music that comes out of them. The eyecandy and the reputation and the little "Made it the USA" sticker is all nice, but when all the other stuff drives up the price of the instrument, I have to draw the line.

That being said, if there's someone who can coax all the thousands dollars of sound out of a guitar like that one, more power to them. For the simple chords and fingerpicking I play, it wouldn't make any difference. I was at a blues concert once, and the guitarist took out a cheap $70 Strat knockoff to promote a charity that gives them to worship leaders in third-world countries. He made that cheap guitar sing, far better than I ever could play any guitar. Eventually he went back to his Gibson LPs and his Epi Sheraton, but the difference in sound was minimal. I think the musician plays a pretty big role in how a guitar sounds...much more than the guitar itself does, I'll venture to say.

• Members

Well, if sucessful my next two builds will try to emulate the very cheap and cheaply build guitars of the 30's that many of the old bluesmen played. They will be ladder braced like the old Stellas and if they work out I plan to unload two Martins and a Taylor next spring. They won't necessarily be inexpensive to build now days - I'll probably have about 500 in each, about a quarter of what the marties are worth.

And when the Martins go I will still keep my $100 Yamie and my 1932 Dobro that sold new for $27.

Your a luthier, You don't count this time. Plus I'm not talking about vintage guitars. Thanks for chiming in!

• Members

I own four guitars, all bought new, total cost just under $700 del'd. I'm very happy with all of them, but more importantly, they're all better than I'll ever be able to play them.

I've spent a lot of time on guitar boards the past few years, and have come to wonder how many of the cork-sniffers and chronic GASsers play well enough that it makes any difference in their music whether they're playing a $3,000 or $300 guitar. It's the music that matters, and that's the one thing that's rarely mentioned in these endless gear threads.

You have it wrong, Its about the defencive posts here. All claiming there {censored} box guitars are as good as the higher end guitars. Its not about what someone can afford or not want to pay for. Its about the attitudes, It's stupid to think $500.00 guitar will get you close to a HD28 or a Custom shop Gibson or even a Colling's for that matter. Its absolute foolishness.

• Members

You have it wrong, Its about the defencive posts here. All claiming there {censored} box guitars are as good as the higher end guitars. Its not about what someone can afford or not want to pay for. Its about the attitudes, It's stupid to think $500.00 guitar will get you close to a HD28 or a Custom shop Gibson or even a Colling's for that matter. Its absolute foolishness.

Sorry, m'dear....as kindly as I can say this.....you're full of sh**, IMO.

• Members

Please share some of these "defencive" posts you are talking about.

I think you are exaggerating a bit.

• Members

Erm....another thing.....

My music sells and I'm playing what, in your opinion, is a {censored}box. Apparently the general listening public can't tell a lam from a bazillion buck solid wood.

Please tell me, is your git making you a bit of $$ ???

Additionally, I just got an offer to sign with a Indie label and the last post-studio-recording-gab session I sat in on this weekend was "okay, people, how do we market her?". Those guys don't care that I play an el-cheapo entry level git and a low-end set of Yammie keys. They care about what I do with them.

Aside from that,there were plenty of professional musicians picking up that so-called {censored}box, playing it, and saying "damn....nice git!"

• Members

I don't think he will bring up the "Z" word, and I think I recall some of the posts to which he is giving reference, but I won't dig for them. I don't agree with him.

Owner pride is not necessarily oblivious to the fact that $3000 and $300 dollar guitars are different birds. I think most of those posters probably feel as though they are content with their inexpensive guitars because they sound good enough to them and they don't necessarily "hear" the distinctions between solid wood guitars and lammies.

I won't beat anyone over the head for liking a particular guitar. Whatever pleases them is fine with me. Just enjoy it and play your instrument. It's all about fun.

• Members

Good luck with your Gibson Firebird Custom (?) with laminate quilted maple back and sides. All it is is a laminate bodied guitar with a solid top and middle of the road bling, but you could've found something with better structural spec, craftsmanship, playablility and tonal output for far less. I've owned a few Gibson acoustics and electrics in the past and still have several, but they can tend to be very sketchy in terms of build and materials quality.

If making music were all about buying and playing supposedly top end instruments there'd be very few musicians in this world - past and present. I'd kindly suggest you try playing a few of those "{censored} box" instruments you mention and experiencing what's being spoken of before allowing your mouth/typing fingers and sarcastic attitude to run off with themselves.

You speak of defensive posts and yet you're the individual who's triggering such responses by adopting a condescending manner toward owners of "lesser" instruments than your own. I own and also build a number of higher end instruments and just don't understand why some people feel a need to vilify others whilst placing themselves and their instruments on some kind of pedestal.

It's the music that counts and it's not what you have, but how you use it.

It doesn't matter how much instruments cost, who made them, or where they're from, if the players using them are perfectly content with the sound they're capable of producing. The majority of people don't care how much anyone spends or has, because it's the music that counts at the end of the day.

Please disregard all of the above. My views don't count this time, because I'm a luthier :facepalm: and it's purely coincidence that many supposedly low-mid range instruments are wholely capable of competing with their supposedly higher end counterparts.

Archived