You got to be kidding

asatnutz

• Members

Erm....another thing.....

My music sells and I'm playing what, in your opinion, is a {censored}box. Apparently the general listening public can't tell a lam from a bazillion buck solid wood.

Please tell me, is your git making you a bit of $$ ???

He can't tell the difference.

ASATNUTZ is another victim of label blindness.It must be the best if it costs 3k:facepalm:

And there's no way on earth he will be convinced otherwise.

I have tryed to make light of the constant insults that have been flung by ASANUTZ ,but no more

Asat you talk all this {censored} about cheap guitars...what Gibson do you own your {censored}in used CL30?A mediocre model that sells for about a grand used?

You can stick that turd in your ear bud.

Dumped all that money on it and it needs a fret change?What a joke.

Why don't you go hang out with all the cork sniffing gear snobs at The Gear Page....you know all the guys who can't really play {censored} but have a room full of "the best guitars on earth".

Your 51 years old,own the best guitars and have jam sessions at Guitar Center with student guitarists huh?Sounds like that top of the line guitar is really takin' you places.

Pffff....sell that thing and buy a Yamaha:thu:

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can't put a price on the love one has for an instrument, the mojo it gains from being played by you or good friends, or the good feelings it produces when you pick it up and it feels like an old friend, no matter what the the numbers on the price tag.

Wow. Well said! That is signature-worthy. :thu:

• Members

I continue to look for good cheap guitars. When I came to this forum, I asked what the members thought was a high value guitar. I wanted maximum tone for minimum price. The strongest recommendations were for the Larrivee 03 series.

I played some and agreed, so I bought one. I have more expensive guitars too, but this L-03 has given me the best value at the $800-ish level.

Generalized white washing has little value on a computer forum. I like to hear how people are happy with what they've got.

• Members

You have it wrong, Its about the defencive posts here. All claiming there {censored} box guitars are as good as the higher end guitars. Its not about what someone can afford or not want to pay for. Its about the attitudes, It's stupid to think $500.00 guitar will get you close to a HD28 or a Custom shop Gibson or even a Colling's for that matter. Its absolute foolishness.

If someone is judging completely on playability and tone/sound, I completely and respectfully disagree with you. However there are certain asthetics that some value highly in a guitar. I am certain most people who are extolling the virtues of $500 guitars are ignoring these esthetics because to them, it's the sound.

• Members

I have no problem at all with someone buying a guitar for pride of ownership, history, resale value, appearance, brand loyalty or any number of other subjective reasons that people buy anything. Most of us would rather drive to work in a V8 Mercedes than a Chevy even though the result is the same. But high end doesn't always equate to better performance (tone, playability.) Often it does but not always.

• Members

If someone is judging completely on playability and tone/sound, I completely and respectfully disagree with you. However there are certain asthetics that some value highly in a guitar. I am certain most people who are extolling the virtues of $500 guitars are ignoring these esthetics because to them, it's the sound.

Actually, the esthetics on a "cheap" guitar can be quite nice.

IM000117.jpg' alt='>'>

IM000141.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

Some of guys are taking the idea of the post personally... And thats fine. On another note Pinch: Go {censored} yourself!

All I was saying is why do folks constanly have to defend there low priced guitar by judging the higher end models so badley........ That's all...

I do not own the Gibson I pictured, Its on ebay for sale. I don't even like all the bling. But the workmanship is apparent as is the quality of materials and workmanship.

Oh and Pinch, Did I tell you to Go {censored} Yourself, You Fat {censored}.

• Members

the resale

If you buy a 2.2k gibby, you might be able to sell it for 1.5. You lose .7. If you buy a yammie for .22k, you might be able to sell it for .15. You lose .07.

.7>.07

Plus, dinging the gibby could cost you as much as a yam.

PS. I have a songwriter deluxe (bought used), and a yamaha. The yamaha has been in the closet since a few weeks after I bought it.

• Members

I agree, All I was saying is: If you have a lower priced guitar and you like it thats great. If if sounds and plays great for you that's even better. But why think and say {all the time}that a whatever $3,000.00 isn't any better? This is what this post was about... Nothing more...................

Eric Clapton woke up this morning and said: I wonder if my Asian built acoustic for $500.00 will get here today? I can't stand playing that Martin any longer.

• Members

I've heard several $300 guitars that would difficult if not impossible to distinguish from $3000 guitars in an objective blind test. Spending $3000 or more on a guitar does not guarantee you will get a great guitar. It just increases the chances of that happening.

Blindly declaring that you have to spend big money to get a good guitar is just simply bowing to snob appeal.

• Members

You have it wrong, Its about the defencive posts here. All claiming there {censored} box guitars are as good as the higher end guitars. Its not about what someone can afford or not want to pay for. Its about the attitudes, It's stupid to think $500.00 guitar will get you close to a HD28 or a Custom shop Gibson or even a Colling's for that matter. Its absolute foolishness.

Foolishness? I think not. I've been privileged to have owned and played some very costly and exotic guitars over the past 40 years and there definitely is a point of diminishing returns with the majority of them.

My two Yamahas (LL6 and LL26) are priced around

• Members

You can indeed get guitars in the $400 range that offer sound equal to a multi thousand guitar. I know of a Blueridge D18 copy that outshines nearly any guitar I have heard. There is certain satisfaction in having brand names which were used by great guitar players.

If you are buying a guitar based on its ability to hold value or appreciate, then certainly the recognized names are better. If you buy a guitar to play and simply are looking sound, then you will find many lower priced guitars that are good bets.

Its the music, not the gear - unless you are investing, not playing. Of course, if you are a musician with both talent and means, you can both invest and play. But for most, it is about max sound for the least investment.

• Members

This thread is based on many assumptions.

The OP believes a $2500 guitar is better than a $500 guitar based on price.

The majority of $2500+ guitars are mass produced in the USA or Japan using the same machinery and processes as those made in the new state of the art guitar manufacturing plants built over the past 10 years in countries like China. The biggest difference in price is not from inferior materials or poor manufacturing processes. It is from low labor costs, no unemployment tax, no benefits, no OSHA, no employee lawsuits and no EPA.

The NAFTA and China free trade bills changed the landscape of manufacturing.

• Members

Foolishness? I think not. I've been privileged to have owned and played some very costly and exotic guitars over the past 40 years and there definitely is a point of diminishing returns with the majority of them.

My two Yamahas (LL6 and LL26) are priced around

• Members

American made, brand spanking new, lifetime warranty, all solid, "real" Mahogany, ebony, abalone, forward shifted x bracing and exquisite wood sets all shipped to the front door for $725! Granted they listed for much more, but I believe some of the Tacomas are the pinnacle of value if you can find one like this. So not quite the $500 POS you are referring to, but more than capable of mopping the floor with many guitars costing 2-3x as much. :thu:

2rx9z7d.jpg

• Members

Just my two cents:

Certain guitar makers can sound as good as the high end makers such as martin gibson taylor

Now this is just my opinion: F series yamahas are no where close, nor should someone expect it to. L series on the other hand is different.

Taking this in note though, I don't think a custom shop guitar will necessarily play better than just a regular high end guitar. It is quite possible a custom dove sounds like a regular dove.

Buy what you can afford, play what brings you joy. Being a lousy player with a nice guitar or an excellent player with a lousy guitar...the difference doesn't matter, as long as the instrument is being enjoyed by the owner is all that matters.

There probably is a certain level of resent in some people concerning associating expensive with snobbish. But if everyone could afford high end guitars, some people still might buy one, but most people would.

Eric Clapton woke up this morning and said: I wonder if my Asian built acoustic for $500.00 will get here today? I can't stand playing that Martin any longer.

Who the f*&^ cares what he thinks in the morning anyway? I need him to validate my senses???

Sad... just sad..

• Members

I think some evidence of actual defensive posts would be a good way to back up your claim. We get what you're going for, but your appeals sound more like Rush Limbaugh trying to rile up the masses.

However, even if someone is defensive about their gear, who cares? It's their opinion. It's not personal.

If you've spent $3000 for something and someone is saying their $300 thingy is better and it gets you riled up, then maybe you have some emotional issues that need to be dealt with. Maybe you feel guilty for having spent so much. Maybe you feel insecure or threatened whenever you feel somebody has attacked your manhood or your point of view.

I guess we can need to change that old adage to "Never argue about religion, politics or guitars".

• Members

You can indeed get guitars in the $400 range that offer sound equal to a multi thousand guitar. I know of a Blueridge D18 copy that outshines nearly any guitar I have heard. There is certain satisfaction in having brand names which were used by great guitar players.

If you are buying a guitar based on its ability to hold value or appreciate, then certainly the recognized names are better. If you buy a guitar to play and simply are looking sound, then you will find many lower priced guitars that are good bets.

Its the music, not the gear - unless you are investing, not playing. Of course, if you are a musician with both talent and means, you can both invest and play. But for most, it is about max sound for the least investment.

I agree 1000%

I have a yamaha cheapie that's very respectable for a 200.00 guitar. My Tokai is in a completely different league. Vintage(30 years in a month) mellow finish and sound, incredible wood(solid spruce and rosewood) and flawless craftsmanship. It's also in new shape:love:

I can't pretend it's lesser just to avoid stepping on toes of those convinced that you need a brand name or price point for top quality.

I didn't run to costco or even the local craigslist for this one, so I took a chance and was rewarded with WAY more guitar than I expected.

I would highly recommend them. Their LP's are stellar!:thu: just get an old one, high end as you can.

Have you guys seen my 85' LS-150 Love Rock? It's got all the 59' specs

IMG_0052.jpg

loverock8-5.jpg

ab0b_3.jpg

One pc. solid back, solid top( no vaneer) nitro finish, 3-d flame top(deep) hard to photograph, stock high end electronics, dimarzio's:blah::blah:

Archived