You got to be kidding

asatnutz

• Members

I think some evidence of actual defensive posts would be a good way to back up your claim. We get what you're going for, but your appeals sound more like Rush Limbaugh trying to rile up the masses.

However, even if someone is defensive about their gear, who cares? It's their opinion. It's not personal.

If you've spent $3000 for something and someone is saying their $300 thingy is better and it gets you riled up, then maybe you have some emotional issues that need to be dealt with. Maybe you feel guilty for having spent so much. Maybe you feel insecure or threatened whenever you feel somebody has attacked your manhood or your point of view.

I guess we can need to change that old adage to "Never argue about religion, politics or guitars".

I will have to agree with most of what you have stated.... I'm out numbered and not inetersted in trying to make this point any longer.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Pinch, I don't think any acoustic is deserving of a bunch of bumper stickers
:cry::facepalm:

You've never met that guitar my man.she's been to hell and back twice.If i could only have one guitar it would be her.She was my first and is still my favorite:thu:
And you should hear her sing,enough to make a grown man :cry:

• Members

Is he crying... I think you guys really hurt him.

Screw you........... You bovine dicks with junk guitars are constantly wacking on the good stuff. Here a bit of it back in your faces........... You own junk, You play junk, They sound like junk... Only an idiot would brag about junk..

How's that? Does it sound like my feelings are hurt.. I could give a darn about those junkers or the morons that defend how great they are.. It rediculous......... Small minds small pockets. Junk Guitars.

• Members

I will have to agree with most of what you have stated.... I'm out numbered and not inetersted in trying to make this point any longer.

The things is, you're over-reacting to what other people say to you after you've worded what it is you want to say poorly or offensively.

People, in general, will never care about what you have to say if you say it rudely.

The forum is piling on because its members don't stand for the type of abrasiveness you're bringing to it.

Also, you have to realize that what you're talking about is very subjective and also that there are people out there that genuinely cannot hear the difference.

So in effect, you're trying to tell people that what they hear and feel is wrong. Which is quite frankly, ridiculous.

You seem to be either saying that, or you're accusing them of decieving themselves.

Either way, not a great way to make friends.

I know when I first started playing guitar, I couldn't tell the difference between a Martin, Taylor, Takamine, Yamaha or Seagull.

As the years have gone by though, my ear for it has developed and things changed. I hear things I didn't hear before and my ear changes from time to time. I hear things differently that you do. So does everyone else.

I disagree with what you're saying, because what you're saying, and how you're saying it, is pretty ridiculous.

• Members

Your missing the entire point I was making.
Its them, that constantly brang about there low end guitars and that the higher priced guitars are no better. Its bull{censored} and I got sick of listening to it. So I told it like I see it. There was never anything personal behind the post. If they have a guitar they like thats great but don't be banging on the good stuff because they don't own one.
So in there own defence they change the subject to help themselves:
My guitar sounds and plays great as good as any $$$. But never once did one of them say: The Martin I played was so much better than my.... Someday I'll have one. Do you understand. They are the attackers........ and have been right along. I just called them on it.
The only member I'm disgusted with is Pinch... He's like a forum stalker with a suttle arrogance. I let him know exactly what I think of him.... All else is fine with me. I like a great debate.........

• Members

Le

Nice Goodall, It that one better then the Yamaha OM style for $250.00? The Yamaha looks just as nice, It probably sounds better too. You could have bought 20 Yamaha's and been real happy! Maybe you could return the Goodall.. Let me know if you want to do this. I'll help you carrie the Yamaha's home.

Left in another post as a reply by yours Truly.......

• Members

Your missing the entire point I was making.

Its them, that constantly brang about there low end guitars and that the higher priced guitars are no better. Its bull{censored} and I got sick of listening to it. So I told it like I see it. There was never anything personal behind the post. If they have a guitar they like thats great but don't be banging on the good stuff because they don't own one.

So in there own defence they change the subject to help themselves:

My sounds and plays great. But never once said The Martin I played was so much better. Someday I'll have one. Do you understand. They are the attackers........ and have been right along. I just called them on it.

I do understand the point you were making. But calling people's cherished guitars "{censored} boxes" is pretty personal. Telling someone to go bleep their fat bleeping self is personal and over the line in this forum as far as I'm concerned. Yes you're free to do it. But I'm also free to ignore your posts threads using that feature of the forum and I don't have to like you if it continues.

What you're talking about is highly subjective. You think because you hear it that it's there and everyone else should be hearing what you do. It doesn't work that way. One person's wonderful articulate Taylor 914ce is another person's bright bass-less ringing-box.

The first year I played I honestly heard no difference in tonal quality between my Yamaha FG dread and my teacher's SCGC pre-war dread. I thought that my Yamaha sounded every bit as good as his Santa Cruz and I was quite happy with that fact.

People don't hear the same thing you do. People don't hear the same thing I do either. What you're talking about is entirely subjective. If there really were guitars that were de-facto better or the best, we would all want to own those exact guitars.

I don't really hear many people saying that the "good stuff" as being bad (although Gibsons get bashed sometimes, but Gibson bashing will always happen on any forum). Just that their guitars are just as good, and more worth it to them because they only spent say, 20% of what the Martin D-28 costs.

I'm not saying that you are arrogant or that you intend to come off that way, but saying that you're right and telling everyone else that they're wrong is just not the way to go man; and you seem to be that way in what you're posting.

I happen to agree with you to a degree. I've played those Yamaha FG700S, 720S, 730S, Seagulls, Epiphone Masterbilts, Guild GADs etc. They're all great guitars and in my opinion, better values than productions $2000 guitars.

Are they better for me? Well, no. I percieve details that are just what I hear.

I think those Yamaha FGs have spectacular tone, but when strummed, I don't hear note seperation. That's something I want, so I moved on from mine. I had a Simon & Patrick with a cedar top that sounded a little lacking in clarity, not quite muddy, but not quite crystal clear, so I moved on etc etc...I ended up with my Taylor GS and after a year, I've only just started noticing a few tiny shortcoming to my ears (it's tempermental due to humidity tonally, it can be too bright for certain styles, it's not incredibly responsive like an OM is fingerpicked) but I'm quite happy with it and I've settled on it for now. A guitar that sounded too good to me would be weird and would probably take my motivation to be a better guitar player down a notch. I alos have better places to spend my money now.

Realize that what you're talking is sensitive and that there's no easy way to talk about it. Is that Yamaha FG really just as good or better to TN Franks ears?

Maybe. I have absolutely no way of knowing that.

If he's happy with it and thinks that, why tear him and people like him down?

• Members

asatnutz, why does it bug you so much that people like their guitars, regardless of what kind they are or how much they paid for them? How much do I need to spend to have a guitar that wouldn't offend you if I bragged a little about it? $500, $1000, $2000, more? What brands are acceptable, and what brands aren't?

I've heard this same argument before about cars, motorcycles, cameras, tools, guitars, gear, you name it. Good God, man get over it! :facepalm:

Hello from one of those "bovine dicks with junk guitars".

• Members

I do understand the point you were making. But calling people's cherished guitars "{censored} boxes" is pretty personal. Telling someone to go bleep their fat bleeping self is personal and over the line in this forum as far as I'm concerned. Yes you're free to do it. But I'm also free to ignore your posts threads using that feature of the forum and I don't have to like you if it continues.

What you're talking about is highly subjective. You think because you hear it that it's there and everyone else should be hearing what you do. It doesn't work that way. One person's wonderful articulate Taylor 914ce is another person's bright bass-less ringing-box.

The first year I played I honestly heard no difference in tonal quality between my Yamaha FG dread and my teacher's SCGC pre-war dread. I thought that my Yamaha sounded every bit as good as his Santa Cruz and I was quite happy with that fact.

People don't hear the same thing you do. People don't hear the same thing I do either. What you're talking about is entirely
subjective
. If there really were guitars that were de-facto better or the best, we would all want to own those exact guitars.

I don't really hear many people saying that the "good stuff" as being bad (although Gibsons get bashed sometimes, but Gibson bashing will always happen on any forum). Just that their guitars are just as good, and more worth it to them because they only spent say, 20% of what the Martin D-28 costs.

I'm not saying that you are arrogant or that you intend to come off that way, but saying that you're right and telling everyone else that they're wrong is just not the way to go man; and you seem to be that way in what you're posting.

I happen to agree with you to a degree. I've played those Yamaha FG700S, 720S, 730S, Seagulls, Epiphone Masterbilts, Guild GADs etc. They're all great guitars and in my opinion, better values than productions $2000 guitars.

Are they better for me? Well, no. I percieve details that are just what I hear.

I think those Yamaha FGs have spectacular tone, but when strummed, I don't hear note seperation. That's something I want, so I moved on from mine. I had a Simon & Patrick with a cedar top that sounded a little lacking in clarity, not quite muddy, but not quite crystal clear, so I moved on etc etc...I ended up with my Taylor GS and after a year, I've only just started noticing a few tiny shortcoming to my ears (it's tempermental due to humidity tonally, it can be too bright for certain styles, it's not incredibly responsive like an OM is fingerpicked) but I'm quite happy with it and I've settled on it for now. A guitar that sounded too good to me would be weird and would probably take my motivation to be a better guitar player down a notch. I alos have better places to spend my money now.

Realize that what you're talking is sensitive and that there's no easy way to talk about it. Is that Yamaha FG really just as good or better to TN Franks ears?

Maybe. I have absolutely no way of knowing that.

If he's happy with it and thinks that, why tear him and people like him down?

while true I do believe this forum is bias when it comes to either yamahas or lower end guitars, probably amplified due to the fact that this forum is predominantly participated by those kinds of people

you check larger guitar forums such as acousticguitarforum which has a greater concensus, you'll see that many members share similar respects for lower end guitars, particularly yamaha, but not to the degree as most members in this forum, which imho is a bit overblown; but in defense to folks here, its because most of them own one.

no one would want to bash something they own, unless they wanted to motivate themselves into getting something better.

• Members

I have no argument with you here...I have a nice Larrivee that only sees play from case to lap and back.

But, I've got a handfull of lesser cost guitars including one Yamaha FG730S that recieved a minimum of two new top dings this weekend at the beach...I blame beer...

And, it sounds fantastic...really fantastic. I just wanna play/hear good guitar and that can be had for $300...

I was the first to reply to this thread and I stand by it...I don't think my Larrivee L03R is a crap box nor do I think my Seagull Mini Jumbo Entourage or Yamahas are either...There is a difference in sound to me but all of them do what I want...

• Members

Read some of the post here and see who started slinging the stuff first. It wasn't me. I just gave it back. And will continue to stress the fact that just because you have a low end guitar that you love doesn't make the high end guitars not worth it. They constantly knock the better guitars...... This is the first time I knocked the low end guitars and only becuase they asked for it.

• Members

Screw you........... You bovine dicks with junk guitars are constantly wacking on the good stuff. Here a bit of it back in your faces........... You own junk, You play junk, They sound like junk... Only an idiot would brag about junk..

How's that? Does it sound like my feelings are hurt.. I could give a darn about those junkers or the morons that defend how great they are.. It rediculous......... Small minds small pockets. Junk Guitars.

Complete meltdown:lol:

Still laughing messing with my typing. But I can spell!!!

• Members

The only member I'm disgusted with is Pinch... He's like a forum stalker with a suttle arrogance. I let him know exactly what I think of him.... All else is fine with me. I like a great debate.........

Well I can't speak for everyone here but i think you have managed to disgust more than a few here with your ever so charming way of telling us all that our guitars are {censored}ty.

I'm no forum stalker I have been hanging here everyday since i found this little corner of HC.Does that constitute stalking?If so....GUILTY as charged good sir.

I believe my arrogance to be more SUBTLE that suttle.

You have really let me know you think i'm fat....good thing i really am.

If this is a great debate,i shiver at the thought of what you would consider a mediocre one.

The thing is ASAT i tried to take with grain of salt your repeated jabs at what you consider to be inferior instruments.But alas i have succumbed to your infantile ignorance and misguided indolitry of expensive guitars.

Yes if i had the money i would own such instruments.Does that mean they sound better?NO

Grow up,for being 51 your immaturity seems to run amock on the internet.Good day

• Members

...I like a great debate...

And you are certainly a most eloquent debater.

Don't know why I should contribute to any of this. I, like one of the other posters, can hear a genuine difference when when I play a very fine instrument like a Santa Cruz or a Goodall. If I had unlimited funds, I would buy one, but I don't. I am also amazed at what one can buy today for a low cost. I am happy playing my $80 eBay Washburn D10 or Yamaha F-335. I am more happy playing my $460 eBay Taylor 110 or Martin D12X1. Are they worth almost 6x the others? Well... that's what I was willing to pay to get the sound that I wanted. It's subjective, and I voted with my hard earned dollars. I played a Martin D35 a while back they very much impressed me. My budget said, "No." I reached across the same sound room to a Taylor 110, played it, and smiled.

To address what I perceive irked the OP, I am able to be happy along side another individual who takes delight in his inexpensive guitar, even if he expresses that delight in an immature fashion. My reaction to others is often a measure of my maturity.

Scott O

• Members

I will continue to stress the fact that just because you have a low end guitar that you love doesn't make the high end guitars not worth it. They constantly knock the better guitars.

Why does that bother you so much? Their opinion doesn't change yours. Their opinion isn't forcing retailers to take the good stuff off the shelf. So what harm is done?

May God grant you the serenity to accept the things you cannot change, the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Members

And you are certainly a most eloquent debater.

They call that a zinger where I come from :poke:.

In any case, asatnutz, I don't really think anyone disagrees with your right to post your opinion up here. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most people would promote it. That's how a forum of any sort survives, after all. The real issue at hand is the way you've voiced your thoughts. Insulting fellow forumites and posting messages that contain more vulgarities than nouns is not the best way to express yourself. Most civilized people try to be at least somewhat pleasant about what they post. Like happy-man said, the reason you're outnumbered is not necessarily because people disagree with you, it's because they disagree with your disrespectful attitude.

You've dug yourself a pretty deep hole here and every vulgar post you make is only digging you deeper. Stop while you're ahead, my friend. Methinks an apology will be well-accepted by everyone else, and I would recommend taking that course of action.

Archived