You got to be kidding

asatnutz

• Members

Don't know sounds to me like the OP is trying to justify spending the money he did on his guitar. Tone, is pretty relative, and why does it bother you so much if someone thinks their 200 Yammie is better then your 3000 dollar Gibson. All that matters to the guy playing the Yammie is his happiness with his Yammie, same applies to the guy playing the Gibson. If you are happy with it, play it, be happy leave the guy with the yammie alone.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm psyched to hear asatnutz play us some superior music on his fancy git. Lots of room at the Annex - I'll be all too happy to set up a page featuring his tunes.

How about it, asat? Let's hear what you can do with all that high-priced bling!

In his defense, he said that he pulled the pic of the guitar in the first post off of an eBay auction, and that he didn't own one. I don't agree with the rest of his views in this particular thread, but I just wanted to set the record straight.

Would be nice to see what kind of sounds he can put out, though :thu:!

• Members
Sweet lookin' git, Freetime. Yup - there's a lot to be said for a vintage git that's opened up over time and also has lots of mojo.
:thu:

Here's the ticket.

While so many talk about things like 'tone' and 'playability', what about things like 'mojo' or 'magic'?

I have noticed, almost universally, that less expensive guitars generally don't hold tuning well. I mean, the harmonics are always off by a few cents, and the upper positions - beyond 12, usually upwards of 14 - show questionable intonation. Try playing the opening bars of the prelude to Barrios' La Catedral to see what I mean. Maybe this is improving as CNC machining improves. I don't know. But I know that my beater GAD-JF30 was not such a great guitar (despite sounding good), and I went through two of them with the same results. Maybe it's just 'mojo'. I bought an Alvarez CY-116 that sounds and plays very well, stays in tune - although the top does need a little more 'push', so to speak, to keep the voicing balanced. And the CY-116 is not an expensive guitar.

To get back to the mojo thing, it seems more and more like it takes many years of constant play on an instrument before it starts to really shine. I'm not sure why that is. But a new instrument, off the shelf, can never compete with a scarred and travelled instrument. the price point is irrelevant. For example, I recently (last year) got a Taylor GSMC - nice guitar, stays in tune, doesn't compress when it's pushed, harmonics - even that pesky one at the third fret - all resonate nicely - but it has no mojo. It needs to be played for a few thousand hours, I suspect, before that kicks in. This can be said of any guitar, at any price.

Also, if you get picky about your instruments, you get them custom built. That isn't cheap. Beaters are off the shelf, but sometimes you need certain string spacing, wood combination, scale length etc. to really get cooking. So the argument of 'cheap vs. expensive' no longer applies.

Lastly, the thing so-called 'expensive' guitars have that hasn't been mentioned is build quality - they will not need neck rework or bridge regluing, the action is easily adjustable, etc. No loose braces, things like that. If you travel a lot, or rely on your instrument for your income, build quality becomes very important.

Gosh - this sounds like a defense of price tags - it isn't. I'm going home to play that CY116 for about four hours before going to sleep - that, and maybe a few minutes on the 000-28C ;) . The point here is price doesn't matter as much as ability to hold tune, build quality, and that most elusive mojo. Which probably only happens once in a lifetime anyway. Can't put a price tag on that.

• Members
It probably does sound better than some Martins and Taylors. But my best sounding acoustic flattop is this here 1973 Sada Yairi. It kind of looks like a classical but it was made for steel strings. I liked it more than a similar sized Santa Cruz that was in the store that day. The Santa Cruz cost almost four times as much.

IMG_0002-5.jpg

Interesting looking guit, do they come in pink?

• Members

Ok, I called Estaban, he thought it was a great idea and he said he will work on it.

You owe me a new monitor, new keyboard.........

and most of all......

a new nose!!! :poke:

• Members

So what gives an acoustic its tone anyway? Isn't it the shape, wood and strings, mostly? So, if two manufacturers use the same shape, wood and strings, shouldn't they sound at least very comparable, regardless of the cost?

There are an incredible number of variables. Things such as bracing style and thickness, quality, type and thickness of the woods used, amount of glue used, type of finish, and a bazillion other teeny little things come together to make a git that has that "special something" that sets it apart from the rest. You really can't put your finger on any one thing, but you can sure hear the difference.

• Members
So what gives an acoustic its tone anyway? Isn't it the shape, wood and strings, mostly? So, if two manufacturers use the same shape, wood and strings, shouldn't they sound at least very comparable, regardless of the cost?

EVERYBODY knows it's the density of the {censored} in the box that makes for good tone. :eek:

• Members

They call that a zinger where I come from :poke:.

In any case, asatnutz, I don't really think anyone disagrees with your right to post your opinion up here. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most people would promote it. That's how a forum of any sort survives, after all. The real issue at hand is the way you've voiced your thoughts. Insulting fellow forumites and posting messages that contain more vulgarities than nouns is not the best way to express yourself. Most civilized people try to be at least somewhat pleasant about what they post. Like happy-man said, the reason you're outnumbered is not necessarily because people disagree with you, it's because they disagree with your disrespectful attitude.

You've dug yourself a pretty deep hole here and every vulgar post you make is only digging you deeper. Stop while you're ahead, my friend. Methinks an apology will be well-accepted by everyone else, and I would recommend taking that course of action.

Now your nutz..... You have to admit this was a hot post! Got everybody involved. By the way I just bought a Takamine for $400.00 Can't wait to get it. Dam, This was fun! Pinch, Even if you are Fat its OK by me. My Mom's a big girl an so are my sisters. So having said this I hope you'all know it was just a huge Ball-Bust! Lets keep the controversy up.. it makes for an interesting time here. Bye the way, get use to this sort of thing. I do it alot. Its like Ping Pong on the net!

• Members

There are an incredible number of variables. Things such as bracing style and thickness, quality, type and thickness of the woods used, amount of glue used, type of finish, and a bazillion other teeny little things come together to make a git that has that "special something" that sets it apart from the rest. You really can't put your finger on any one thing, but you can sure hear the difference.

Samilyn: Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying, I just didn't want to take the time to list every little thing, just the most important.

The point I was trying to make is that it is not difficult to copy the design of a particular guitar and while there may be a few little things that are different, they may not matter that much to the overall sound (it may even improve the sound over the original). Thus, a person doesn't necessarily have to pay big dollars to get a great sounding guitar, one that is every bit as good or better than an expensive one from one of the big name manufacturers.

Archived