K&K Pure Western Mini (NPD)

panhandler

• Members

I just finished installing one in my Martin DM :) I didn't scratch anything, gouge anything, break anything or glue anything I wasnt supposed to :thu:

I was a lil nervous drilling that hole though, first I bought the Forstner bit only to discover it wont work where there is already a hole (DUH) So I went back to Lowes picked a 12mm regular steel bit and took it sloooooooow.

I see why these pickups get so much love, my guitar sounds like my guitar only louder :)

So if anyones attempting to do this themselves... You're welcome to borrow the drill bit.

PS: If ya ever need callouses in a hurry, spread some superglue on your fingertips.

• Members

I ordered one with the volume knob for my Guild D-60.

Someone else is installing it.

What hole?
That makes me nervous. You mean the
strap peg hole
?

Yep.

I cut through the wood (to the block inside the guitar) surrounding the peg hole first with an X-acto blade to prevent the bit from grabbing and splintering the side wood beyond the bit.

• Members

Congratulations. Welcome to the wonderful world of K&K. Now, if you want to fine tune the tone, get a Baggs PADI - Shoreline sells them.

I got the P/U from Shoreline... Nice peeps.

I'm using that cheap Behringer PADI right now. It' seems to do the trick, but I do want to upgrade to the Baggs one day.

Yeah Marcellis... The HOLE!

I sent emails to 3 different local luthiers for price quotes on part and labor. Not one replied! Oh well... Money towards the baggs! :)

• Members

I really wanted to try one, but i had a bridge plate repair that would make it to tough to get the pickup installed on the bass side of the saddle.

Got a matrix infinity instead. it's, well, ok. i like what they did with the eq.

i was using a old mcintyre into a para di, but just couldn't get it to work right. so i'm upgraded.

• Members

How big is this hole anyway? I'm starting to get the heebie jeebies about this.

I didn't want the LR Baggs because it's a sound hole pick-up. It looks ugly.

The D-60 is a thing of beauty. It's face shouldn't be mucked up with a sound hole pick-up.

You can use a 1/2" but a 12mm is a snugger fit.

• Members

Houston... We have a problem. (Honeymoon over) :)

I don't know what my ears were hearing when I first installed it, but now it sounds MUDDY and I can't seem to dial it out.

I checked with the K&K Website tech sppt. not much help there.

I have the mids and the bass turned all the way down on the DI and that makes it kinda okay, but still muddy.

If I plug into my Acoustic Amp... same thing. At first I thought it was okay there, but I gave a better listen to it this evening.

Anyone got and ideas before I remove it?

Thanks...

• Members

That thing looks sinister.

I used a new drill bit in a hand-held chuck and ran the hole in by hand. It wants to grab and advance into the hole but keeping firm back-tension stops the bit from advancing and you can delicately remove material at a slow pace without gouging. Just gotta keep the back-tension while twisting.

• Members

-1 on the reamer idea.

The depth of the wood where the end pin sits is about 1/2" to 3/4". The taper on the reamer produces a hole that is far from ideal for an endpin jack.

I've drilled a few of these for friends. And as long as you tape over the area to be drilled in advance and use a nice sharp 12mm steel bit, it should work nicely. It is also important to use a variable speed drill, and if you don't have a good jig, get someone to hold the guitar down so it cannot move while you drill the hole.

• Members

The problem with a reamer is you end up with a tapered hole. Wider on the outside lending itself to movement on that end of the pickup.

K&K recommends using the "steel bit"

I'll look under into the treble coming loose, but I doubt it. I feel confident I did a textbook install.

• Members

The problem with a reamer is you end up with a tapered hole. Wider on the outside lending itself to movement on that end of the pickup.

K&K recommends using the "steel bit"

I'll look under into the treble coming loose, but I doubt it. I feel confident I did a textbook install.

I use a drill too - no problem if you drill a pilot hole first then take it slow and steady.

And I prefer UST pickups to the strick-on bugs. The bugs amplify every little bang or scratch on the guitar top as well as the strings.

• Members

I just read the HC reviews on this pickup. It's no wonder I'm having a lil "muddy" issue with it, seems like most folks do.

I was gonna take it out, but I'll just keep dropping the mids on the DI and the PA until I completly dial it in.

Unfortunatly the reason I purchased it was to eliminate swapping pickups from the 6 to the 12 during performing. So re-dialing the EQ's for the 12 is out of the question afer the 6. Looks like I'll need another DI for the 12 and a seperate channel for each.

Live, learn, live, learn, live, learn.... :) (forgot SPEND!)

• Members

I put K&Ks in my Yamaha and Parkwood. I use the same Baggs PADI with both. What I did was "dial-in" the tone I wanted and then noted all the settings on little cards I made out of index cards which sit over the control knobs. See pics below and it should be self-explanatory.

IM000315.jpg

IM000311.jpg

• Members

I do the same thing except I set the preamp flat and adjust the amp. After GW348's claim about being muddy I had to review my own setup with the K&K PWM. Nope. No mud. I have my amp (Acoustisonic) set at 3-2-4 (B-M-T) without fingernails and almost flat with fingernails. I cut my nails off about every 2-3 weeks if they last that long.

Archived