VOM 16 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, May 10, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This was another great VOM. Thank you to all who listened to my submission, and to those that commented. Very much appreciated.

Without further ado, here are my reviews:

Fussenkuh - Well done, Chris. I loved the sound you created with your effects. Kind of drowned out the drum track a little, but it was a very cool song. I'd never heard it before so to me, everything flowed without seeming to be missing anything.

tbryson - Bravo. You did this one well. I love that voice.

garthman - Beautifully done. There's just something about your voice that is so cool to hear. Like a storyteller. Dylan suits you well.

bobc - A lovely tune. The chords were perfectly matched to the subject. A wonderful piece.

Michael Martin - Your songs are so unique. Their content, their style. This one is no exception. You are an artist, my friend.

guitarist21 - That was awesome. You are too modest. You did an excellent job on every part. Plus, it sounds more natural on an acoustic. Way to go.

MattSkibaIsGod - I like it. The harp makes it. Your version is different than tbryson's so it's not fair to compare. I like 'em both. Well done, Dave.

Melodeous - That was fantastic. A great little original you got there. Awesome.

mrmoe - Another great submission. I could never tire of your playing and singing.

g6120 - A great addition to the VOM, Gil. As I commented before, this one touched me.

fatback - Welcome to the VOM. Love that blues. The recording sounds like it's all intentional. The "hiss" adds a great ambiance to the bluesy tune.

riffmeister - That's some nice "wankage". I'd like to hear that as a complete piece, i.e. with backing instruments.

busby99 - I haven't heard this in so long. Thanks for the memory and well done. I like the attitude you put into the "ta ta ta ta".

riovine - So laid back. Like a walk in the park. Nice little tune. What kind of web cam did you get that gives you such clarity?

pschaafs - That was a beautiful song. Nice guitar work and vocals. Is that the rain in the background?

Frets99 - I remember this song from listening to my folks' old records. Another memory brought back. You played this one so cool Frets. Such style.

TSMusic - That was nice. You're right, not the toe-tapper from the last couple of VOMs, but it's right up there with the rest of your music. You are quite the talent, sir.

Taylor Davis - A bit dark for a Mother's Day song, but a cool song nonetheless. I love the guitar work. It is reminiscent of Stephen Stills. Good work.

brianwahl - I had never heard this song before. I like the way you did it and put it together. Very professional. I remember this from your posting a few weeks ago.

hypcollector - You are quite the character (or have I said that before). The attitude you put into your singing is quite entertaining. And the song? Well, another classic.

Starrshine - Your vocals add an interesting flavor to this Dylan song. It was a little drowned out in spots by the guitar. The guitar work was splendid. Nice job.

BlackHatHunter - I've never heard this song before, but you reproduced the Knopfler sound very well. Well done.

Northstar - Man, that is one boomy 12-er. Cool tune. Not bluesy and not what I was expecting, but I liked it.

diceman1000 - nice collaboration Damon. Great story and your music did it justice. Your guitar playing is improving too. I can tell. Still got that little stutter-strum thing going on now and then between chords, but you're getting better. The vocals are top notch, as always. I like especially liked the tune of the chorus. Your voice really showed off there. Nice job all around.

daklander - A great Mother's Day tune, Dak. You've got that storyteller sound as well. Excellent song.

Sangemon - Good job on a cool song. Man, that 12-string sounds fantastic. The sound that all 12er's are measured by.

gthom - That was a beautiful song and beautifully played. Even if you were a couple of Old Styles to the wind, so to speak, you did that well.

Hudman - Nice instrumental. Another song I hadn't heard before. I liked the way it came out. May the Yamaha go in peace.

jandrew - Nice acoustic version of this song. I've heard it but never knew who did it. You did this song justice. That Larrivee sounds awesome.

Great job everyone. Can't wait until next month!

• Members

Had a chance to listen to a few more.

mr. moe: Strong all-around as always from you, voice and guitar. I do like the vocal harmony--very close harmony at that. Adds a whole 'nother dimension...

g6120: Well done!--what a cool thing to take a song and add the missing pieces. I think the chorus is essential--good add by you. Nice bassy guitar tone too. Is that a Martin?

fatback: I actually liked the low-techiness of the hiss. Or was someone taking a shower a few feet away? :) The low-tech vibe really works for a great old bluesy song like that. Nice job, mate!

busby99: Haven't heard that great old Beat Boys tune in quite awhile. I admire that hard strum style--but then I would, wouldn't I? :cool:

Riffmeister: Yikes, that was cool. Started off kinda Edge-y. Evil tone and some freaky chords. Fine playing--especially like the chorusy-part near the end.

riovine: Anybody ever mistake you for David Duchovny? Really sweet playing (effortless-looking, I might add), and happy-hearted music. Great to hear nylon now and then on VOM.

pschaafs: Ooo I do love that song. Maybe my fave by S+G. It connects me to someone I used to know--I used to play it but haven't in forever because of the bittersweet association and sad ending (ours, not the song's). Thanks for bringing that one back to life.

...mo' later I hope

• Members

This was another great VOM. Thank you to all who listened to my submission, and to those that commented. Very much appreciated.

Without further ado, here are my reviews:

Fussenkuh
- Well done, Chris. I loved the sound you created with your effects. Kind of drowned out the drum track a little, but it was a very cool song. I'd never heard it before so to me, everything flowed without seeming to be missing anything.

tbryson
- Bravo. You did this one well. I love that voice.

garthman
- Beautifully done. There's just something about your voice that is so cool to hear. Like a storyteller. Dylan suits you well.

bobc
- A lovely tune. The chords were perfectly matched to the subject. A wonderful piece.

Michael Martin
- Your songs are so unique. Their content, their style. This one is no exception. You are an artist, my friend.

guitarist21
- That was awesome. You are too modest. You did an excellent job on every part. Plus, it sounds more natural on an acoustic. Way to go.

MattSkibaIsGod
- I like it. The harp makes it. Your version is different than tbryson's so it's not fair to compare. I like 'em both. Well done, Dave.

Melodeous
- That was fantastic. A great little original you got there. Awesome.

mrmoe
- Another great submission. I could never tire of your playing and singing.

g6120
- A great addition to the VOM, Gil. As I commented before, this one touched me.

fatback
- Welcome to the VOM. Love that blues. The recording sounds like it's all intentional. The "hiss" adds a great ambiance to the bluesy tune.

riffmeister
- That's some nice "wankage". I'd like to hear that as a complete piece, i.e. with backing instruments.

busby99
- I haven't heard this in so long. Thanks for the memory and well done. I like the attitude you put into the "ta ta ta ta".

riovine
- So laid back. Like a walk in the park. Nice little tune. What kind of web cam did you get that gives you such clarity?

pschaafs
- That was a beautiful song. Nice guitar work and vocals. Is that the rain in the background?

Frets99
- I remember this song from listening to my folks' old records. Another memory brought back. You played this one so cool Frets. Such style.

TSMusic
- That was nice. You're right, not the toe-tapper from the last couple of VOMs, but it's right up there with the rest of your music. You are quite the talent, sir.

Taylor Davis
- A bit dark for a Mother's Day song, but a cool song nonetheless. I love the guitar work. It is reminiscent of Stephen Stills. Good work.

brianwahl
- I had never heard this song before. I like the way you did it and put it together. Very professional. I remember this from your posting a few weeks ago.

hypcollector
- You are quite the character (or have I said that before). The attitude you put into your singing is quite entertaining. And the song? Well, another classic.

Starrshine
- Your vocals add an interesting flavor to this Dylan song. It was a little drowned out in spots by the guitar. The guitar work was splendid. Nice job.

BlackHatHunter
- I've never heard this song before, but you reproduced the Knopfler sound very well. Well done.

Northstar
- Man, that is one boomy 12-er. Cool tune. Not bluesy and not what I was expecting, but I liked it.

diceman1000
- nice collaboration Damon. Great story and your music did it justice. Your guitar playing is improving too. I can tell. Still got that little stutter-strum thing going on now and then between chords, but you're getting better. The vocals are top notch, as always. I like especially liked the tune of the chorus. Your voice really showed off there. Nice job all around.

daklander
- A great Mother's Day tune, Dak. You've got that storyteller sound as well. Excellent song.

Sangemon
- Good job on a cool song. Man, that 12-string sounds fantastic. The sound that all 12er's are measured by.

gthom
- That was a beautiful song and beautifully played. Even if you were a couple of Old Styles to the wind, so to speak, you did that well.

Hudman
- Nice instrumental. Another song I hadn't heard before. I liked the way it came out. May the Yamaha go in peace.

jandrew
- Nice acoustic version of this song. I've heard it but never knew who did it. You did this song justice. That Larrivee sounds awesome.

Great job everyone. Can't wait until next month!

thanks rob:thu:

Damon

• Members

riovine:
Anybody ever mistake you for David Duchovny? Really sweet playing (effortless-looking, I might add), and happy-hearted music. Great to hear nylon now and then on VOM.

That's funny, I first heard that from my mother-in-law. I've had a few other people tell me that also.

Thanks for the comment on the playing, I'll be back on the next one.

Cheers,

Ron

• Members

Okay, I got down to Gil and will continue there later.

Fussenkuh - I don't know Satriani so whatever it is you changed to suit you sounded great to me. Cool jam.

rhancox - Way to let it out man! That 12-er carried thru nicely and the story boarding really tied it together.

tbryson - Never heard the song before. Not unusual though (for me) to hear firsts in these VOMs. Nice playing and singing.

Garthman - You could sing about anything and I'd lend an ear. Not looking to pick out curtains but I dig your voice. Great tune and playing.

bobc - You have a sweet melancholy going on in that one. Once again I have to say you got that classic voice. Looking for more from you.

Michael Martin - A balladeer, story teller and romantic's crier. Great song.

Guitarist21 - Ellen, I hope you paid those fingers double time because they earned it on that one. Being fret hand stupid I love to see someone tear it up like that. Looked like fun, too.

MattSkibaIsGod - Dave that was a pretty damn fine cover tying it together with the harp. As I mentioned above to tbryson I've never heard the song before but between the both of you, and from what I've heard of Dylan, I'm pretty sure he'd still aspire to cover his own work like it's done here. Great playing.

mrmoe - I can listen to your songs all day. If I had to be picky on you let me say that your vocals (voice) don't need any help. I think your voice has a character that delivers more than just the lyrics. It brings them alive. Small rant but important to me. I hope that doesn't offend any friends of yours but your voice has got that singular bluesy presence I like and doesn't need anyone harmonizing over it.

• Members

Sangemon
- Good job on a cool song. Man, that 12-string sounds fantastic. The sound that all 12er's are measured by.

Thanks! That guitar is really something. It plays really, really easy, and the electronics work too!

• Members

Okay, I got down to Gil and will continue there later.

Fussenkuh - I don't know Satriani so whatever it is you changed to suit you sounded great to me. Cool jam.

rhancox - Way to let it out man! That 12-er carried thru nicely and the story boarding really tied it together.

tbryson - Never heard the song before. Not unusual though (for me) to hear firsts in these VOMs. Nice playing and singing.

Garthman - You could sing about anything and I'd lend an ear. Not looking to pick out curtains but I dig your voice. Great tune and playing.

bobc - You have a sweet melancholy going on in that one. Once again I have to say you got that classic voice. Looking for more from you.

Michael Martin - A balladeer, story teller and romantic's crier. Great song.

Guitarist21 - Ellen, I hope you paid those fingers double time because they earned it on that one. Being fret hand stupid I love to see someone tear it up like that. Looked like fun, too.

MattSkibaIsGod - Dave that was a pretty damn fine cover tying it together with the harp. As I mentioned above to tbryson I've never heard the song before but between the both of you, and from what I've heard of Dylan, I'm pretty sure he'd still aspire to cover his own work like it's done here. Great playing.

mrmoe - I can listen to your songs all day. If I had to be picky on you let me say that your vocals (voice) don't need any help. I think your voice has a character that delivers more than just the lyrics. It brings them alive. Small rant but important to me. I hope that doesn't offend any friends of yours but your voice has got that singular bluesy presence I like and doesn't need anyone harmonizing over it.

Gracias, amigo.

• Members

Great talent here. I grabbed the mp3's I could and popped them on my mp3player to listen (computer speakers are shot).

mrmoe - Loved this one - great picking and singing, and a nice clean recording.

Taylor Davis - Enjoyed the guitar work, has a CSNY feel - and the song is wonderfully dark. Happy Mother's Day :-)

garthman - Nice picking, you give a nice performance on this one.

blackhathunter - Another great submission blackhat, and a really smooth, polished recording.

Michel Martin - Another highly polished production -- nice song, and unique (tip of the who-hat notwithstanding).

busby99 - solid toe tapper here busby (I need to learn more of these)

diceman - Works fine at this tempo - nice song.

starshine - Your deep vocals with such pretty guitar playing sounds good -- I'd like to hear again with the vocals a little more up front..

hypocollector - even at max on my mp3player it was very soft. Took it in, applied some mp3gain normalization, and all was well. I really dig this tune

fatback - wow, nicely done -- can't wait to hear more with less hiss.

riffmeister - AACCKK ... the devil's music! uhm, more please ;)

daklander - You just have such a classic, honest presence -- feels like I'm sitting on the grass at a nice outdoor festival.

tbryson - Don't know this one, but I sure like your version.

bobc - wow. great vocals and smooth guitar ... again.

I'll start converting youtube submissions to mp3 so I can give them a listen as well.

cheers,
andrew

• Members

Hud- I kind of like your feel better than Harper's. It makes it sound more urgent, which works with the depressing nature of the lyrics.

Jandrew- What a great solo acoustic interpretation of that song! That song has a lot of layers, what with the strings and all on the radio version, and I really like how you captured those.

Being fret hand stupid I love to see someone tear it up like that...

Thanks, Mel! Being picking hand stupid, I really enjoyed your blazing fingerpicking in this VOM.

• Members

Hud- I kind of like your feel better than Harper's. It makes it sound more urgent, which works with the depressing nature of the lyrics.

Jandrew- What a great solo acoustic interpretation of that song! That song has a lot of layers, what with the strings and all on the radio version, and I really like how you captured those.

Thanks, Mel! Being picking hand stupid, I really enjoyed your blazing fingerpicking in this VOM.

Thanks. I was going to sing but I was unsure how well the tiny built in mic on my laptop would work.

My next video will be much better.

• Members

A few more.

Frets99: Yes, I DID enjoy it. I always do in the case of you. You are such an entertainer; I wish I had 2% of your mojo for then I could rule all the earth and its several moons. You and Ellen tie for best video, with an honorable mention to riovine for his image quality and depth of field. Cool song; very dark.

TSmusic: such a fullness of sound you get with those chimey droney chords. I completely love that style of playing/voicing. Sweet original piece, well-played sir!

Taylor Davis: I for one love the gritty ambience/atmospherics. Truly I do. "Clean" and flawless/polished production is not my aspiration; it's much more the immediacy of the music that I care about, and that really comes through here. Kinda spooky. A very "big" sound with interesting effects. And I love the vocal harmonies--I have a new singing partner, and she has a gorgeous voice, so my goal is to write songs with harmony potential. You and mr.moe have inspired me in this VOM. (PS moe--yeah I too dig your voice solo but the girl was awesome; did not detract at all IMHO)

brianwahl: Ach, Damien Rice. Yes indeed. My aforementioned singing partner is a DR devotee--we've worked out a version of his "Rootless Tree" song and will be performing it at our debut coffeeshop gig 5/22. But enough about me. You are such a pro. I don't know this song, so your version is "it", but I admire very much the integration of the guitar and vocals. You seem very comfortable doing what you do, and the resulting music exudes professionalism. Nice video production too. How you do dat? How many damn cameras you got, son?

hypcollector: Chocolate tequila, indeed. The very idea, you philistine. Those are two of the very most fabulous things that can pass the lips, but together? :) A cool song all-around. Vocals quite strong. The guit was a bit too bassy--make that thing explode with all the tonal fullness of sonic fabulosity--in order to do full credit to the song and the very fine vocal.

Ach. Back to grading.

• Members

brianwahl:
Ach, Damien Rice. Yes indeed. My aforementioned singing partner is a DR devotee--we've worked out a version of his "Rootless Tree" song and will be performing it at our debut coffeeshop gig 5/22. But enough about me. You are such a pro. I don't know this song, so your version is "it", but I admire very much the integration of the guitar and vocals. You seem very comfortable doing what you do, and the resulting music exudes professionalism. Nice video production too. How you do dat? How many damn cameras you got, son?

Thanks!

Rootless Tree is a great tune! Should be a hit.

I've only got one camera (and a good one, at that). It's a Canon HV20, which is why I can get HD videos up.

For this song (or any video that has multiple angles), I pre-recorded the song, and then played along to the recording several different times (which is why I'm using the headphones) with different camera angels for each. I think I did 4 takes on this one, maybe 5. I'm getting pretty good at playing along to my original recording, but every once in a while you'll hear a strum that you don't see, or see one you don't hear. Or it will look like I've finished singing a line a little off or something... I'm better at doing it than the beatles were, haha.

Then I take all the video shots and line them up with the original audio and make cuts. I use Final Cut for video editing. I'm just starting to get into color grading, which makes a huge difference on the final product of video stuff.

Anyway, theres a seriously long answer to a simple question :cool:. Thanks again for your comments - and thanks to all of you for the kind words you've said! This is a great place.

Now, I need to listen to the rest of the submissions...

• Members

Watch it in HD (720p) if you've got a high-speed connection.

I've always loved this song. Damien Rice has such an expressive and emotional style, both in his vocals and guitar playing. I tried to somewhat portray that, but of course it ends up with a lot of my own style on in rather than his.

This isn't a one-take, though it comes off as one. I recorded the guitar and then the vocals - basically so I could do some different video shots and make it interesting to watch.

Details:

Guitar: Takamine FD-360sc

- recorded two signals - the direct out of the guitar and with a Studio Projects C1. The direct out is panned left (I think) and the mic'd signal is right. Could be the other way around, haha. I find I always get a good sound using both signals.

Vocals: Studio Projects C1

Interface: Presonus FirePod

Hope you like it!

Good video work and the singing was really passionate. Playing too.Nice job!

• Members

Well, I almost missed working in the time for this month but was able to scratch out a bit of time.

This is a song I stole from a troubadour name of Mountain John.

Here's a quick and dirty shot at what I call

Hope all the mothers in the audience are having a wonderful day today.

Kinda like that. Just a bare, simple folk song. Couldn't hear the guitar very well, unfortunately, but the voice fits the song well.

• Members

I would like to thank all of those who commented on my contribution. It's my second submission and I had a great time. I've taken the VOM1T (great acronym) guideline to heart and submitted my songs warts and all, so I appreciate you folks not mentioning my mistakes.

I wish I had the time to write separate reviews of all the offerings as some of you do, but I barely have time to log-in at all during the week. I did have a great time listening to the songs Sunday evening and I agree with Brianwahl in that I'm listening to a lot of different songs and styles that I probably wouldn't be listening to otherwise.

All that being said, and without minimizing anyone else's contribution, Guitarist21's video was one of the most entertaining I've seen on this or any site. It wasn't just the music, which was great (another 10 beats per minute faster? how?) but her general attitude throughout the video was refreshing and unique. It seemed to me it was all about having fun and that's what playing music should be.

As usual, I appreciated the opportunity to contribute and look forward to next month. Keep playing everyone!

• Members

Many thanks everyone. And rhancox, I agree this guitar does sound good, but you should really feel it resonate -- if you're ever up north and passing through here (on your way to a real destination), stop by and play for a while. (offer extended to anyone who finds themselves in Winnipeg, on purpose or by accident).

cheers,

andrew

• Members

Many thanks everyone. And rhancox, I agree this guitar does sound good, but you should really feel it resonate -- if you're ever up north and passing through here (on your way to a real destination), stop by and play for a while. (offer extended to anyone who finds themselves in Winnipeg, on purpose or by accident).

cheers,

andrew

I have a brother who lives in NE Washington, not far from the CA border. I just might take you up on it one day.

I played an Alvarez jumbo 12-string that you could feel when you played it. Haven't felt that with any other guitar before or since.

• Members

Thanks to everyone who has listened to my contribution.

I put it on sound click at the same time - its managed to boost it to number 10 in country blues genre. Bit naughty but what the hell. Small things give me a buzz. Best before that was 45. As I said before I'll have to pick up a new mic and record further away from PC that makes a sound like a jumbo jet taking off.

Anyway thanks again

Phil

• Members

Hey y'all this is my TY post--so g6120, fatback, brianwahl, tbryson, BlackHatHunter, Ellen, Fuss, pschaafs, rhancox, Melodeous, and jandrew: really appreciate the comments/feedback. I guess the sentiment in the song is sort of Kinks-y--and I do love Ray Davies--thanks for that, Gil. As for the count-in, I got bored with 1-2-3-4 (or 1-2-3/1-2-3) so I decided I would use the date as the count in (hence 5-7-0-9). Even so, Fuss, good idea to not ever let me do your taxes.

I hope to listen to the remainder of the submissions tonight. Thanks again for comments but also to everyone who shared your tunes.

Archived