Stackabones

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Title: Ten Words

Originally By: Joe Satriani

Performed By: FussenKuh

Probably my favorite Satriani song, Ten Words can be found on Satriani's Super Colossal album. As the story goes, Joe originally wrote it on piano as a reflection on the 9/11 attacks. He picked it up again for the Super Colossal record in 2006 and tried to write ten words for the title based on the repeated ten note phrase (0:49-0:57) but found that it was impossible to do, so he left it ambiguous.

Unlike some of his other work, you won't really find any sort of funky effects (besides distortion), crazy mile-a-minute runs or dive bombing whammy action in this tune... which, in part, is why I was drawn to it. If you're familiar with the song you'll realize that the middle section of my rendition doesn't follow the original song. This is basically due to the facts that 1) I couldn't quite figure out that original section by ear and 2) I'm not quite talented enough to play it anyway ;-)

At any rate, I enjoyed coming up with my own original ideas to add to the song, so, in the end, I'm kind of glad that I couldn't figure out the original tune.

[YOUTUBE]TMsKIXI8U4Y[/YOUTUBE]

The song contains 3 main tracks: A simple drum track provided by my RP80 digitech pedal, a backing rhythm track I recorded and the main solo track.

Hope someone enjoys it!

Chris

p.s. Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!!!

• Members

rhancox Comments:

This is a collaboration between myself and Sonya and Shuie (misspopanoche) from YouTube land.

I recorded the vocal track and two guitar tracks with my 12-string. Sonya and Shuie remastered my tracks and Shuie added a bass backdrop as well as a cool slide solo in the middle of the song and at the end. I created the slideshow using MovieMaker.

I actually took 15 tries to get the arpeggio track down and 3 tries at the vocals (which still isn't perfect), so it's not exactly a VOM1T.

Enjoy.

Absentee Post from:
rhancox

Title:
House of the Rising Sun

Credits:
Eric Burdon and The Animals

tbryson Comments:

I had never heard this song until last week and liked it. Simple chords even a begginer like me could play. I don't know if it is just like Old Crow Medicine Show does it but this is what I did.

I practiced recording this on Monday to make my first real attempt at a one take as in VOM1T. Got it set up and waited til thurs to do this. I succeded in doing it in one take.(Whew!)I did add a small bit of reverb and compression after words. I don't know if you can do that live but I think you can so I don't feel I cheated too much.

I can now get a bit of a feel what it is like to play out and trying to do it good or as best as you can when your on the spot. Not nearly as hard as you guys that play in front of a crowd though still a little challenge..

Stack has challenged me to get some songs down that I can play all the way through without a cheat sheet. So far not there but it is a worthy goal. I just know one day I will be in the front room and play us a song statement will come up and if I don't know the whole song ya kind of fizzle. OK..here we go

Absentee Post from:
tbryson

Title:
Wagon Wheel

Credits:
Ketch Secor/Bob Dylan

garthman Comments:

And the man is still No 1

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
Make You Feel My Love

Credits:
Bob Dylan

• Members

0b9zXvf9SVw

Did this little arrangement as a final project for school. It's originally by Brad Paisley. Doing it on acoustic doesn't really give it justice, but this being HCAG, I just couldn't bring myself to do it on electric.

I'm home now though, and hoping I can post a little more often!

• Members

I don't have accents on my keyboard and usually can't be arsed either, don't worry. ;)

Yes, I've had visitors from the UK for the last 3 weeks, and it was their first visit to the Middle East, so I took extra care of them, guided them around town, kept them entertained, etc. And I also have a couple of reports to finish before I fly on two successive business trips at the end of the week. I'll be out of the country (and guitarless) until July.

• Members

FussenKuh: That someone is me. I truly enjoyed this!! Bravo!!

rhancox: Superb Rob and Sonya and Shuie!! Hey Rob so glad you hooked up with them. They are such a pleasure to work with! Let's get them here posting to the VOM to!

tbryson: great! You had me from the first line! Great rendition.

garthman: Beautiful rendition! Liked your playing and your Dylan style vocal.

Bobc: Wow! What a great song! Love the guitar tone and the vocal conveys such feeling!

Michael Martin: You never fail to deliver superb songs! This one sort of reminded me of The Kinks (Ray Davies) style. Great!

guitarist21: "sorry for the times that it sucked" ?What? I Loved it!! Awesome!! Interesting second half of the video too!

MattSkibaIsGOD: LOL I like the intro! Superb Cover!! Great video and great audio quality too! (ended a little abruptly!)

Melodeous: NICE!! Playing like this always fascinates me to watch and listen to!

mrmoe: Audio was so good here you sounded like you were actually here in the room playing! Great song! Liked the harmony too!

• Members

Grappled with the decision about what to post.

I'm overflowing with stuff I've done recently.

Decided to post this adaptation of an original song

by Jack Dingler.

Jack has been a YT friend since 2006 and I heard his

song "Under Starry Skies" and was so touched by it I asked

him if I could cover it.

Jack told me to go ahead and make the song my own so I

took him up on it and changed some lyrics, added a chorus and

came up with my own musical arrangement. Sent the

changes to Jack for approval and he liked what I did so here's

what I ended up with and thanks to Jack for the original song

and for encouraging me to do it my way:

[YOUTUBE]f3z5jFsSoJM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7587784

Hi

This is my first VOM

Its Kind Hearted Woman Blues by Robert Johnson.

I recorded this using Audacity, a 99p mic from pound land and my trusty slot headed Crafter.

I appologise for the hiss which is rather pronouced - however it helps hide the voice. (Who says its an ill wind?)

Anyway try to enjoy;)

Phil (or possibly Blind Peg Edwards)

• Members

Did this little arrangement as a final project for school. It's originally by Brad Paisley. Doing it on acoustic doesn't really give it justice, but this being HCAG, I just couldn't bring myself to do it on electric.

I'm home now though, and hoping I can post a little more often!

If that don't do it justice whats the original like ......speachless. Thanks for putting that on.

Phil

• Members

Looks like some good stuff so far.

We're headin' to the coast for Mother's Day. Had a great historical journey downtown yesterday, at the Alamo and some old Victorian-style homes. That's why I had to post absentee this month.

I will take a listen to all later this evening.

Gil, thank you for the kind words. And yes, Sonya and Shuie would be a great addition to the VOM. They do some wonderful stuff.

Happy Mother's Day to all.

Archived