VOM 16 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, May 10, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

I've watched everyone's submissions so far and am humbled by the company I am in here. You are all SO good.

Here is my submission for this month's VOM1T

Redemption Songs by Bob Marley

It was last Mother's Day that I made my very first VOM submission and I had only been playing the guitar for about 30 days at that point. So now I've been playing for about 13 months, and it's Mother's Day again, but now I have 8 guitars in various places and aside from work I don't want to do much else but play the guitar.

This song has always been one of my favorites and I played it today on my new Martin Grand J12-40E Special which arrived new from the factory last week. This is a new model from Martin this year and it is truly magnificent.

This was one take, and I did no mixing on this, just plugged an AKG 451 into channel 1 of the Apogee Duet, and the J12 DTar into channel 2 with the blend mic all the way up. No processing whatsoever. The vocal mic is on left, the guitar DI is on the right. I cut out an embarrassing false start after my introduction. I wish I could sing better, but alas..

Enjoy!

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guitarist21 (flying fingers!) wrote:

Just so you know, I was having problems with the Hi-Fi playback. It was really noisy. I have no idea why. The Lo-Fi worked fine though.

Dang, it is happening again I guess. I have just now replaced the file with a new one that I made using a different mp3 converter (switch), but the old Soundclick file played fine on my computer! Vagaries of operating systems!

I am curious, Ellen and others that had trouble - what browser are you using?

I am listening to all of this now, and so far I have heard some great stuff!

• Members

Guitarist21 (flying fingers!) wrote:

Just so you know, I was having problems with the Hi-Fi playback. It was really noisy. I have no idea why. The Lo-Fi worked fine though.

Hi-Fi playback worked fine here just now. I'm using Firefox. Good sounding tune

Tony

• Members

Here's my last minute entry. It's the old standby for novice classical players like myself, a tune called "Romance" by Anonymous. I was a couple of Old Styles in by the time I got to this so, as usual, ignore the mistakes. But you already knew that...

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members
I am curious, Ellen and others that had trouble - what browser are you using?

I tried the Hi-Fi again just now and had the same problem. :idk: Wish I knew more about technology to help you out. I'm using Firefox, like TSMusic. So maybe the problem's on my end, not yours?

• Members

So many entries and so little time to listen today! As a result, I did a bit of hopping around to some random songs... hopefully, I'll be able to work my way through everyone's submissions in this coming week.

rhancox, Sonya, and Shuie (misspopanoche) - Fantastic song to kick off a VOM and a great performance by all three of you! I loved the sound of your 12 string and, since I'm a sucker for slide, Shuie's slide work put a big smile on my face.

Michael Martin - 5 7 0 9... with counting like that remind me to not let you do my taxes... or maybe I should :lol: Great song! I can definitely picture this tune being done with a full band. But, then again, I'm also really digging your 3-guitar rendition. On a side note, I'm always impressed with your recording quality. Everything always sounds so crisp and clean.

guitarist21 - People have already pointed it out, but, here it goes again: Man, those fingers can fly! I'd say you deserve nothing less than a 4.0 with that performance. And, I award you extra credit for the great stage presence and for the after-performance behind-the-scenes footage :thu:

Northstar - Ok, so it might not be "blues" but it's freaking sweet! I love the tone you're getting out of that guitar. Besides, your shirt is blue... I'm going to say that's qualifying enough to use "blue" in your title ;)

---------------------------
Finally, as i say every month, I'd be remiss if I didn't thank everyone out there that took the time to check out my tune. Even with the few tunes I've listened to thus far, I always feel like a small fry compared to the talent that shines through during these VOMs. I'm honored that I'm able to share my work with everyone each month and I truly do appreciate everyone who takes the time to listen. Feedback (positive, tips, constructive criticism, nonsensical babbling) is always welcome.

g6120 - Glad you enjoyed the tune :)

Michael Martin - Yep, I'm still loving my Toronado :) I'm glad to hear that it's found another fan and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed my rendition of the tune!

brianwahl - I hear you. Fuzz definitely isn't for everyone. Thanks for risking the listen and for the feedback :thu:

tbryson - Thanks a bunch :D

BlackHatHunter - Thanks! I was a bit worried bringing a clearly non-acoustic tune to the VOM, but, I've been happy to read that it's been getting a positive reception.

guitarist21 - :eek::cool::D ... The emotes say it all!

• Members

Northstar
- Ok, so it might not be "blues" but it's freaking sweet!
I love the tone you're getting out of that guitar
. Besides, your shirt is blue... I'm going to say that's qualifying enough to use "blue" in your title
;)

I don't know if I should write this and shatter some illusions...

This is the live sound captured by the iMac's internal mike with some reverb from Garageband...

• Members

melodeus
...just beautiful...that was so good...nice sounding guitar and good looking as well...
what is it
?

This:

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/instruments/guitars/performance/focus/index.php

Thanks for the listen and compliment. That's always a boost.

Mother-in-law arrived today and I've been pretty much at her service all day. I expect to have some time to listen to everyone tomorrow. To all who've commented on my submission, thanks. That was an original and I will probably be performing more of the same in the coming VOMs.

• Members

My mom came up from Kentucky for the weekend. The good news is I got to spend time with my mom, the bad news is I didn;t have time to record anything.

So here goes a one take clip of Ben Harper's Alone minus vocals and slightly up tempo. It was my first Youtube video a souple weeks ago. It's far from my best work, but hey, who cares. ;)

I used the web cam on my laptop. The guitar is Yamaha FG-75 that I sold a few days after taping the video.

[YOUTUBE]bnnuVq7ROyo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

My mom came up from Kentucky for the weekend. The good news is I got to spend time with my mom, the bad news is I didn't have time to record anything.

I promised to participate in the VOM this month, so here goes a one take clip of Ben Harper's Alone minus vocals and slightly up tempo. It was my first Youtube video a couple of weeks ago. It's far from my best work, but hey, who cares. ;)

I used the web cam on my laptop. The guitar is Yamaha FG-75 that I sold a few days after taping the video.

bnnuVq7ROyo

• Members

this is a colab between my self and elias graves... i dig it...

it's a bit long winded...elias wrote the lyrics and wanted a more upbeat tempo,it wouldn't bee near as longwinded that way...this isn't bad though...

Damon

Real nice song...it should be at an uptempo as suggested by the writer...but there are lots of tempos that songs can be played...when you guys find the perfect tempo this song will rock. JMO

• Members

I had more time than usual today, so I have some comments for a change. Everything was a pleasure to listen too, some of them more than once!

Hudman: Dark, dark music (the video too). Sounded great but for the hiss

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Title: Iris
Credit: Goo Goo Dolls
Link: http://www.siaris.net/music/Iris.mp3
equip: Zoom H2, Larrivee L-07

OK! Busy day -- only got around to trying to record at 11:30pm. In my office (not a good sound space), stuck the H2 on the guitar case a couple feet away and did a quick take with clumsy fingers. The recording was on my computer by 11:50, so I say it counts -- then normalize, mp3-encode, and upload (so past midnite here, but not everywhere). unfortunately, my computer speakers are shot, so I'm not sure how it actually sounds except on earbuds. I'll have to grab what submissions I can and listen to them on another device.

Next month I think I'll record in advance ...

cheers,
andrew

• Members

Title: Iris

Credit: Goo Goo Dolls

Link:

equip: Zoom H2, Larrivee L-07

OK! Busy day -- only got around to trying to record at 11:30pm. In my office (not a good sound space), stuck the H2 on the guitar case a couple feet away and did a quick take with clumsy fingers. The recording was on my computer by 11:50, so I say it counts -- then normalize, mp3-encode, and upload (so past midnite here, but not everywhere). unfortunately, my computer speakers are shot, so I'm not sure how it actually sounds except on earbuds. I'll have to grab what submissions I can and listen to them on another device.

Next month I think I'll record in advance ...

cheers,

andrew

Love it...great song choice...good playing on the fly...you sound like you've been doing this(playing) awhile...nice

• Members

Rhancox:
Very impressive production, that slide solo was A+

Thanks, pscaafs. Shuie is a very accomplished player.

---------------------------

I'm still listening to all the submissions. I'll have some reviews later in the day. Everything is so cool. You guys are great!

• Members

Good going...you have quite a collection of nice guitars after only being at this a short time..your doing good...all you need now is confidence singing...go ahead and just sing...feel it and sing it...you will do good.

Archived