Best acoustic strings

Okieslims

• Members

Okay, I know everyone will probably say a different brand, but I wanta read some opinions.. so humor me please..

I switched to rotosound yellow 10's on my tele and they changed my guitar completely. It was as if I had retubed my amp or changed my pick ups.. so strings are very important imo.

I would like to set up the acoustic that I have on layaway with a nice mid focused string. This guitar brings out the highs and the lows like nothing I have ever heard. I want to help the mids catch up a bit.

So please throw me some suggestions so I don't have to spend too much with trial and error..

Mucho thanks

• Members

Well, most would agree that the same set of strings will sound different on different guitars, and they would also agree that the human factor just compounds the differences.

For my Yamaha 12-string, I really like the sound of D'Addario's EXP Phosphor Bronze. I think they give a full sound, not too overdone on any level. The uncoated Phosphor Bronze are just as good, but the EXPs give a little more and, to me, sound the closest to the strings the guitar came with.

I tried Martin SPs and they sounded too tinny and gave up the ghost too quickly.

Having said all that, others will swear off the EXPs and swear by the Martins.

• Members

It depends on the guitar. I use EJ17s on a lot of my guitars. I put them on one of my Seagulls and it sounded like a dying cat, it sounds much better with the type that came on it (godin). My D-15 also likes the ones that came on it.

Makes sense, since I buy a guitar after playing it with what came on it. My Taylor likes the D'addarios though.

On electric I use ernie balls just because they never seem to break on me and I like electrics to be low-maintenance and versitile above all else.

the d'addarios are always a good starting point when finding out what strings a new guitar likes... because nearly everyone has used them so everyone can tell you whether brand X is brighter/mellower/bassier/etc in comparison

• Members

Okay, I know everyone will probably say a different brand, but I wanta read some opinions.. so humor me please..

I switched to rotosound yellow 10's on my tele and they changed my guitar completely. It was as if I had retubed my amp or changed my pick ups.. so strings are very important imo.

I would like to set up the acoustic that I have on layaway with a nice mid focused string. This guitar brings out the highs and the lows like nothing I have ever heard. I want to help the mids catch up a bit.

So please throw me some suggestions so I don't have to spend too much with trial and error..

Mucho thanks

Get a J45. :)

Sorry. I find D'Addario EJ's have a bit more midrange than Martin SP's--just as one comparison.

• Members

Get a J45.
:)

Sorry. I find D'Addario EJ's have a bit more midrange than Martin SP's--just as one comparison.

I don't think I'll ever spend more than a grand on any piece of music equipment..though if I was going to, it would probably be for a tabacco colored j45..

That said, the guitar(revival rg27) I got is pretty stellar.. it sounds amazing.. it only costs 520, but when all the git mags compare it to other guitars, they dont compare it to anything below 1500.00. and the only complaint is that in comparison to the martin d-28, it has less midrange response.. so I want to load it with some mid range focused strings and see how it responds.

It currently has D'Addario strings on it.. I may end up staying with them because they sound great, but I do like to tinker with my tone

• Members

Go to The Forum, click on "Tech Stuff" and then on "String Test". You can hear clips of various brands and types of strings and decide for yourself which has good mids. Then go out and buy that brand in your preferred gauge and see how it sounds on your guitar. Repeat as needed. Personally, I use Martin 80/20 lights but you'd probably find them too bright.

• Members

I am one who swears by Martin SP. I have them on both my Martins, and have a set on my Washburn D10N.

What I like about Martin SP strings:

1.) Very little to no break in period. Every other brand I've ever used took a long time to beat the new out of them (up to a week with some). Martins shake off the new in a matter of minutes. But there is very little overly bright and shrill-ness with a new set. What I hear when I put 'em on, is what I get over their lifespan.

2.) Martin SP makes a very cool .0125 - .055 gauge. Each string is exactly between the gauge of a Light and a Medium set. And in a lot of cases, it's the perfect solution.

3.) I like the bronze coated high E and B. I prefer the slightly different sound I hear on these over normal plain steel. And they look nice too.

4.) The lifespan is very consistent to my ears. Meaning, they continue to sound the same until you clearly notice they are ready to be changed. Some strings have a constant, gradual life-loss which I do not like at all.

5.) They just sound good. They bring out the wood of the guitar very nicely. Maybe it's mostly Martin on Martin experience, but that's my take.

One example of contrast, is D'Addario PB med, i found them to have an unusually long break in period, the break in period being very very bright and shrill, and annoying. Took a week to beat the new out of 'em. Now, the 2nd week with the D'Addarios, was awesome. They hit a really rich sweet spot. But then the 3rd week I heard them begin to die. Everyone has different experiences, but these are mine. ;)

• Members

I am really digging the new EXP formulation. So much so that I bought a pack of 10 at GC and got Guitar Hero for the Wii for free (store promo).

I am using the 80/20's in light on my Taylor GA, and Medium PB's on my Martin.

• Members

I am one who swears by Martin SP. I have them on both my Martins, and have a set on my Washburn D10N.

What I like about Martin SP strings:

1.) Very little to no break in period. Every other brand I've ever used took a long time to beat the new out of them (up to a week with some). Martins shake off the new in a matter of minutes. But there is very little overly bright and shrill-ness with a new set. What I hear when I put 'em on, is what I get over their lifespan.

2.) Martin SP makes a very cool .0125 - .055 gauge. Each string is exactly between the gauge of a Light and a Medium set. And in a lot of cases, it's the perfect solution.

3.) I like the bronze coated high E and B. I prefer the slightly different sound I hear on these over normal plain steel. And they look nice too.

4.) The lifespan is very consistent to my ears. Meaning, they continue to sound the same until you clearly notice they are ready to be changed. Some strings have a constant, gradual life-loss which I do not like at all.

5.) They just sound good. They bring out the wood of the guitar very nicely. Maybe it's mostly Martin on Martin experience, but that's my take.

One example of contrast, is D'Addario PB med, i found them to have an unusually long break in period, the break in period being very very bright and shrill, and annoying. Took a week to beat the new out of 'em. Now, the 2nd week with the D'Addarios, was awesome. They hit a really rich sweet spot. But then the 3rd week I heard them begin to die. Everyone has different experiences, but these are mine.
;)

I would have to agree with #3. Not quite the same sound as normal steel and they did look cool.

Otherwise, I didn't like the way the set sounded on my guitar.

• Members

I would have to agree with #3. Not quite the same sound as normal steel and they did look cool.

What was the difference you heard on the high E and B? I sensed a slightly less 'pointed' tone. Less 'metallic' and a little smoother. The difference is slight either way, but I liked what I heard.

• Members

What was the difference you heard on the high E and B? I sensed a slightly less 'pointed' tone. Less 'metallic' and a little smoother. The difference is slight either way, but I liked what I heard.

It was a bit subdued, but together, the set (a 12-string set) sounded tinny on my guitar. They were bright, but not the same sound as the originals. And the Martin set was the very first set I used after the originals.

What I really noticed was the sound made by my Dunlap (.46mm) pick across the strings. I didn't hear it with the original strings and I didn't hear it with the uncoated D'Addario's or with the EXPs I have on now.

• Members

I just put Martin Custom Lights (11-52) on my S6 and my new Breedlove Passport D20 my initial impressions are that for the most part I like them, but there are some differences compared to D'Add PB's. As a basement hobby player not necessarily bad things, but different - in particular volume dropoff.

There is also a trade off of complexity (PB) for sparkle (80/20), but I think those are the very typical characterisitcs of PB vs 80/20.

Time will tell which I prefer.

• Members

Hi, dont know much but:

1.....The most mid focused strings on my yamaha were Martin silk and steels

2......My favourite were SPs, funny though I liked 11s more than 12s on my S&P 6 cedar.. Godin recommend 11s so...

3 Put Newtone Masterclass double wound 11s on my S&P 6, well right out the packet the plain strings looked and felt differant. These are my favourite at the moment, tried rares sunbeams pbs 80 20s and these are better for me. Im no good, but I like a good tone, harmonics are twice as loud, trebles are not bright, just tunefull.

• Members

MMmmmm pressed wrong key, all I wanted was a new paragraph sorry.

Was wondering whether the mids were meant to sound that muddy, well these cleared that problem.

Bass, I find it harder to notice a difference between strings and am happy.

In summary then I am not very experianced, I like the neutralness of Sps the Newtones are similar but better, had them on two weeks with no sign of decay

• Members

I have been liking the Martin SP, but I also agree they go dead in about ten days to two weeks.

I had a set of Elixers on an Ibanez and thought they were ok, hated 'em on the new D15.

I just tried Martin Marquis 80-20 and like them so far (one hour yesterday).

• Members

I was using Martin SP's for a spell but I must have hit a bad batch cause they would sound okay for 2 or 3 hrs and then they sounded like kee-rap. Did one set of Elixers, they were okay but just didn't have much sound to them from the get go. Then I switched to D'Addarrio EXP-17's. Good sound, I could get 3 - 4 weeks of playing on them before having to change. I used them pretty much all of last year. Then this year, I tried the FireWire 80/20 in the 13 to 56. Good tone and man do they last. I'm fixing to switch out the last set I put on the beginning of March and I probably could run them for another couple of weeks yet. They are the same price shipped to the US as I was paying for the EXP-17's and well I am definitely a fan.

Tony

• Members

Honestly, experimentation is the key. Mine never ends. Currently, I would guess I am using 5-6 different string sets on my guitars. Some sound great with a particular string and some not so much.

I think Martin SP's and D'Addario EJ's are good solid starting points to begin the experimentation. From there, you have a point of comparison.

Some that I have favored over time: DR Sunbeams, John Pearse PB, Curt Magnan PB, GHS Vintage Bronze (mostly on my tobacco burst J-45 ;)). Lately, I have been playing Ernie Ball Earthwood Bronze strings on my HD-28 and another rosewood dread, and like the sound. Really haven't used 80/20 much at all to this point. Again---experimentation.

For long-life strings, I REALLY like Dean Markley Alchemy GoldPhos (hate the GoldBronze) on most guitars and D'Addario EXP PB's on the others.

• Members

This is a real subjective topic. I have used John Pearse lights and they're okay. Martin 80-20 Bronze lights just don't cut it for me. I put Martin SP Phosphor Bronze Mediums on my Yamaha LJ6 and they sound great on it and are lasting. Martin SP Phosphor Bronze Lights on my Parkwood OM sound good but like everyone has said peter out too quickly. There are Elixir Lights (I don't know whether they're nano or polyweb) on my new Alvarez MF350 Grand Concert and they sound real good. I'm planning on putting GHS Bright Bronze Lights on the Alvarez tomorrow, D'Addarrio EXP 17's on my Yamaha shortly, and John Pearse Lights on the Parkwood. Want to see how they sound. If any string is my all time favorite so far, it's GHS Bright Bronze.

BigAl :blah:

Archived