Your Stock Guitar

Stackabones

• Members

Crafter D8/TS Sunburst Model Stock unless you want to fail it because the dealer I purchased from put Martin String on BUT I am about to put OEM EXP11's back on

Gretsch Americana Acoustics, 2, and they are bone stock including strings

Montana MTEM105C Acoustic/electric Stock not sure if strings are....needs a string change

Beat up Yamaha Pacifica Electric stock I GUESS (bought used) still has the strings on it we bought it with

Crafter GA 7 Acoustic Non stock added JJB pickups strings have been changed but with OEM strings

GRETSCH 6119-1962 HT TENNESSEE ROSE basic stock, changed to flat wound strings

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With the exceptions of strings, my Parkwood PW320M and my new Alvarez MF350 are both stock. The playability is fine so I haven't had them professionally set up.

I boned my Yamaha LJ6 saddle and bridge pins and lowered the action on the guitar. Stock setup was too high.

The dread that I made for myself has been boned. That's it!

BigAl :)

• Members

My two Martins, D-16GT and the D-18 in Sustainable Cherry are both stock. The C.F. Martin Custom Shop installed a set of inlaid bridge pins on the D-16 but that is the only modification. They set the action pretty low for me at the factory so when I get 'em, they're perfect.

My Fender Strat was stock but I had an electronic N-Tune, onboard tuner installed and changed to Ernie Ball's Extra Slinky strings. The onboard tuner is sweet because this guitar now can go anywhere without me having to pack a tuner. Other than that, I'm not into modifying my gear. If I want something different from the guitar, I go the route of amp settings and pedalboard effects. Just my 2 cents of course.

• Members

I put a pickup on my Fender Parlor. Other than that, it's stock, although I'm going to replace the horrible, horrible, horrible bridge pins soon.

I'm pretty sure my Yamaha 12-er is stock, though it's been converted to a 6 string and back again, I'm pretty sure it's got the original tuners back. Wait, it's been re-nutted, but that was repair/upkeep, not a mod. Do refrets, etc., count as non-stock?

• Members

Yamaha FS720S is so stock that I've still got the amazing Yammie stock strings on it (for over three weeks of heavy usage).

Yamaha's anti-rust my guess. I have a set just off an FG never been used if interested PM me your address.

Perhaps the anti-rust Elixirs are in your future. :D

• Members

My Taylor 114 is "stock", no upgrades or anything. I love it's tone and playabilty and would not change a thing...well..maybe bridge pins in the future. My epi H-Bird I bought used and it was already "upgraded" to tusq saddle and nut. It sounds much better I think than some I have tried off the rack at the local music store.

Stack...I didn't know you had bought some new guitars? Shows you how long I have not been here...
:idk:

Hey OGP. welcome back.

My La Patrie presentation is stock; as is my mom's old guitar.

• Members

I changed the bridge and endpins on my Yamaha LL26 for ebony inlaid with turquoise because they look nicer than the stock plastic. My D-28 is completely stock-didn't even need a set-up, and that's a first for the many Martins I have owned.

• Members

im a stock guy. i spend 800, 1200 whatever on a guitar in the first place because i thought that highly of it when it was stock...

Hmmm so you buy a guitar because you like the tone in the first place? That's a radical idea.

• Members

My Strat is still stock - though it's set up for medium strings (.011s) and I've contemplated on blocking the tremelo bridge since I prefer hardtails.

As for my acoustic guitars, since I buy a new guitar so infrequently all I can really do is buy components and upgrade them piece by piece or have a luthier shore up the ravages of time on my beater.

My Larrivee has new pins, all the tusq has been replaced with cow bone and I went and put a pickup in it all on my own. I've got a set of open back tuners that are not on right now for the only reason being that they're the wrong type for my OM-03R. They're for a slothead and I have a paddlehead. There have been times I've considered on buffing the satin finish to gloss but in the end I just like the feel of the satin finish too much - even if it's noisy.

My Tak is even worse. It's got a new bone saddle because I was bored of looking at the plastic one and wanted to see if bone would help with clarity. To my ears it did. I also replaced the orignal tuning machines with something more modern and functional, though in the process of reaming out the holes on the headstock I gauge up the headstock faceplate pretty bad. Before that I had a tech do a hatchet job neck reset - he basically just reinforced the heel block with an extension that is beneath the fretboard extension.

Odds are that my next guitar - whenever it gets here - is gonna be similarly tinkered with. I don't believe that any guitar is perfect right out of the box. They all need tweaking.

Archived