Is there a consensus on best Guitar to sing country with?

atomicfear

• Members

Haha I know there is probably not, but I'd like to get some opinions. My singing and playing is slowly but surely improving, and I like to start looking for my next guitar a few years in advance. I'm sorry for such a general question, but hey what are these forums for? Thanks for any advice.

P.S. If there is anyone willing to get particulary in depth, I sing and play mostly Jason Boland and my voice is close to the mean as far as high/low is concerned with a slight edge to the low side.

If I had to guess, I'd say the answer will be a big bodied Gibson.

Thanks again.

• Members

Haha I know there is probably not, but I'd like to get some opinions.

Thanks again.

Man, I got hounded here for suggesting that there was any association between country music and Gibson a few weeks, maybe a month ago.

So I've changed my tune.

All country musicians should play Takamines.

photo-toby.jpg

Important thing is what kind of hat do you wear?

• Members

Man, I got hounded here for suggesting that there was any association between country music and Gibson a few weeks, maybe a month ago.

So I've changed my tune.

All country musicians should play Takamines.

photo-toby.jpg
Important thing is what kind of hat do you wear?

Taks are favored by those who tour a lot, because when the airlines destroy 'em, they're easy to replace w/ an identical sounding/playing instrument.

At home and in the studio, serious guitarists play pretty much anything else. :idea:

• Members

Playing live, any decent acoustic guitar is going to be good for country... when you're up on the stage, people aren't looking at what guitar you're playing, all they want to know is: is the song good and can you deliver the song well... I've seen people do this on a harmony guitar... The songs were good and the singer delivered the songs, so the guitar didn't matter... Don't get suckered into thinking that you're going to sound better because you paid $3000+ for a guitar, when a $500 guitar is going to do the same for you... another thing to bear in mind, it's never good when the guitar has more craftmanship than the performer... I've seen this too....

• Members

Something with no natural wood showing and plenty of mother-of-pearl!
:D

:lol:

So true . . .

While certain guitars are associated with country music, I don't necessarily know that any particular guitar or guitar manufacturer is "the best" for playing country music. If you're looking to buy a new guitar, try as many as you can and pick the one that sounds best. A guitar that's supposed to sound good, gets good reviews, and is popular with country artists may not actually sound good to you in person. Don't buy based on reputation or popularity---buy based on sound :thu:.

• Members

I think the question was what guitar would best compliment a country vocal solo. At least that is how I read it. Now if your all wired up all bets are off but if you are going acoustic without a mic THEN

I know the heat is coming after I say this but after years of testing::: FOR COUNTRY MUSIC SOLO VOCAL it is either the Gibson J200 or the Martin CEO4. Neither of which I would play when bluegrass gigging.

• Members

If you must follow the crowd to get some kind of consensus, then get a guitar that sounds good when you play it. I'd bet that your favorite singer probably plays an instrument he loves and couldn't imagine playing anything else. Isn't that what you've done all along as well?

If you are concerned about the headstock, spend a lot of money.

• Members

Haha I know there is probably not, but I'd like to get some opinions. My singing and playing is slowly but surely improving, and I like to start looking for my next guitar a few years in advance. I'm sorry for such a general question, but hey what are these forums for? Thanks for any advice.

P.S. If there is anyone willing to get particulary in depth, I sing and play mostly Jason Boland and my voice is close to the mean as far as high/low is concerned with a slight edge to the low side.

Thanks again.

Perfect guess, Mainly because Gibsons do not overpower your vocals but yet have excellent tone. Not because you see them on the t.v. videos thats just hype. Many of the wonderful Martins are just too loud to try to sing over. Yes I know,"WELL DON'T PLAY THEM SO LOUD". But when I am playing rythm and singing I am distracted by a soft guitar stroke. I play my Martins firm also when playing bluegrass.

• Members

Sugarland's Kristian Bush plays a Gibson. You occasionally see an older Epiphone and some newer artists play Epiphone Masterbilts. George Strait played a Guild at one time; I've seen other country types playing them as well. Alan Jackson plays a Taylor, as does Taylor Swift. And while Lyle Lovett once played an Epiphone the guitar he plays these days appears to be a Collings. Last season on Nashville Star, I saw Taylor, Epiphone, Breedlove Atlas, Ibanez, Parkwood, and a Gibson electric. It's not necessarily what you play it on but how and what you play. Try a bunch of guitars and see what sounds best to you with your voice.

• Members

I've seen everything from J45s to Hummingbirds to SJ200s used in country, but that doesn't mean Gibson is the last word. A smooth-toned D-35 would fit the bill nicely, I would think. Generally, I'd look for a spruce-top mahogany (or maple) dread (or jumbo), and let your personal tastes in neck dimensions and style appointments make the final decision for you.

• Members

No consensus. I'm a Martin man, coming from a BG background, but playing/singing by myself I prefer a Gibson (or clone). I have a smaller bodied Nick Lucas, and an Epi J-45 copy. Don't know why, but they just seem to be balanced to complement the voice.

Archived